Does this sound like ulcers?

Polos

Visit site
Hi,

just looking for some opinions please. Before I start horse is booked in for a saddle fit check in 2 weeks (she won't be ridden until that point as I am back at University) and I am waiting to hear back from the osteo to get her checked again. I am based with my trainer but they are currently competing in Europe so can't help on this matter.

Horse is a very sensitive warmblood. Like a typical mare everything needs to be softly softly and she needs to be convinced it is her idea. She is prone to being tense when ridden and when she gets tense she will rear (for instance if I have a little too much hand to a fence she will plant and rear until I give with my hands and the tension is released), she isnt strong so is ridden in a single joint loose ring snaffle. Shes incredibly sensitive to the aids so normally its a light touch to ask to move forwards

Recently I have really been struggling with her on the flat, last weekend she was completely dead to the leg and when I asked for canter she would plant and rear/spin . I tried riding with a stick which just made her more tense but she did move forwards (I never actually used it just held it with her), after 15 minutes I dropped the stick and she was really relaxed and moving forwards and stretching down into the contact (she was the same Fri, sat and sun) in walk/trot/canter.

This weekend I tried riding with small spurs which I normally save for when we jump 1.20 plus (I have nerve damage in my legs so when jumping bigger i need a little bit of help with my aids to keep the rhythm) and we were going forwards and had a fantastic relaxed trot. She was working perfectly and being really responsive so I thought we were ok. I brought her back to walk (right rein) and asked for canter using voice aids as she was feeling a bit reactive, I got 2 strides of canter before she planted reared and spinned. I walked again and asked again and had the same response, it had no difference if I trotted or walked and asked for canter as the reaction was still the same. On the left rein I was more successful and got canter on the second attempt. Once in canter we had a lovely relaxed canter, I did several lead changes onto the right rein in canter and she would canter on the right rein with no issues. I did 10m circles, 20 m circles etc and no issue with those. After cantering I again had the lovely supple trot. My friend videoed on her phone and she doesn't look 'off' anywhere and doesn't feel off anywhere.

After untacking I touched/prodded her back along the saddle area and had no reaction (apart from wanting scratches), She does not react at all if you touch her belly, she isn't girthy and won't try and bite when tightening the girth. She is just being a bit tricky on the flat

She isn't on turnout at the moment as the fields are trashed but she gets hand walked in the mornings and then either lunged or ridden by the yard rider in the afternoon (she has been tricky for the yard rider too I have been told). She gets 3 of the xl nets a day and gets 3 hard feeds a day (speedi beet, competition mix and chaff; my trainer chooses what she is fed in terms of hard feed). She had a 3 week break of not being ridden just lunged due to getting a new yard rider. She was fine up until she had this break.

So I am not entirely sure what it is to be honest, she trots up fine, she doesn't appear to be sore anywhere when I've prodded, isn't girthy etc. she's just being a bit difficult on the flat. Saddler is booked and I'm in the process of having the osteo booked. Does this sound like ulcer behaviour to anyone? I am just trying to cover all avenues!

Brownmare

Visit site
If this only started with the change of yard rider I would look there first. Have you ever seen this rider work your mare? If not, I would suggest you watch one of their normal sessions and go from there. It may be something as simple as this rider being a little more forceful / less tactful with her than you are and it is upsetting her. I doubt the lack of turnout is helping either - is there any way she could go out for even just an hour to kick up her heels and have a roll?

Polos

Visit site
I have never seen the yard rider ride or even know of her name actually. The previous girl was very good (she competed her a little for me and my horse always jumped well for her) and I definitley think her schooling on the flat has helped her be less tense so you could be right. She never goes well for more dominant riders, she definitely seems to favour the softly softly approach.

I think the lack of turnout is something I need to talk about, there is only one field with grass on at the minute but I suspect the youngstock will be moving to that field. I'll see if a solution can be reached for that

be positive

Visit site
It doesn't sound like an ideal situation for her, I would want a horse at livery to be ridden by someone I knew and approved of and if based with a trainer for the trainer to be working her properly in some way if they had no rider, I do livery so would expect to get much the same as I offer, no turnout at all would also be unacceptable but is a different issue.

She could easily have ulcers or it could be she is not happy with the limited exercise and new rider either way you are paying, probably a lot of money, for a service that is really not acceptable in my view.

HeyMich

Visit site
I initially thought bruising/discomfort from the spurs, due to new yard rider maybe.

Hi,
I got 2 strides of canter before she planted reared and spinned. I walked again and asked again and had the same response, it had no difference if I trotted or walked and asked for canter as the reaction was still the same.

However, if she is struggling to strike off in canter it may be hock pain. Might be worth getting a vet out to check and do a lameness work-up.

A vet would possibly suggest scoping for ulcers too.

Also, yes please see if you can get some turn-out for her too - if it is ulcers, then the more movement and forage they get the better.

Bellaboo18

Visit site
If this only started with the change of yard rider I would look there first. Have you ever seen this rider work your mare? If not, I would suggest you watch one of their normal sessions and go from there. It may be something as simple as this rider being a little more forceful / less tactful with her than you are and it is upsetting her. I doubt the lack of turnout is helping either - is there any way she could go out for even just an hour to kick up her heels and have a roll?
This is where I'd start as well. Followed by saddle, then vet. It could be ulcers but it wouldn't be my first thought in this case and even if it is you're best to sort out the reason for them first (rider, lack of turnout or possible pain) otherwise they'll soon return after treating. Just a feeling as it's always hard to know from a post but I'd wonder if it's a combination of a few of these things.

Polos

Visit site
Vet hasn't been out as I only really thought this is starting to become a real issue after this weekend. I'm juggling trying to write a dissertation and revising for final exams at the minute so I've arranged saddler and waiting for a call back from osteo but may see how these go and a management discussion before getting the vet out. BUt not sure if its worth starting her on something as a preventative and seeing if theres any improvement?

She has had hock pain before but reacted in a completely different way to this. She also hasn't done much jumping in months due to a combination of things so I think it is unlikely to be hock pain. It is something I will keep in mind though.

Again I am not sure if the new rider is riding with spurs so I'm not sure if it could be bruising from that but I think ideally I need to try and be there when she is ridden to see if the reaction is worse or not. I think she is a bit unfit at the minute and she had a few weeks of not being ridden at all so again I'm not sure of whether its a case of shes being worked in the week so by the time it comes to the weekend she's feeling a bit tired and possible muscle sore so doesn't feel like working hence the rearing and initial reluctance to go forwards?

I'm also trying to work out whether she could be in season as she can be hypersensitive for the first few days of her season -- thats just something else that has come to my mind whilst revising.

But yes I do think turnout needs looking at