Does your horse do anything "clever" or "helpful"?

H's mum

www.coligone.co.uk
I was just laughing this morning whilst I was emptying my wheelbarrow (the muckheap is in a corner of the field) - H has decided that that's her "toilet" area and dotted around the muckheap are tidy piles of droppings! - Bless her - that makes poo-picking so much easier!
grin.gif

Does your horse have any quirky/helpful habits?
Kate x

Dizzykizzy

Visit site
Hee hee, all of ours poo on or near the muck heap about 50% of the time! They will all come and poo by the barrow when we are poo picking too.

We have a very useful guard horse, someone cut across the field one day and she saw them off!! It was hilarious as she is the sweetest horse and definitely part human but she knew those scallies weren't meant to be in her field!
Good job we aren't on a public footpath though.........

NR99

Visit site
My mare is 16.2 and I am only 5ft 2, she learnt to open and shut the gates whilst we are out hacking as long as I do the clip as she was too impatient to wait for me to faff about
grin.gif

Riverboy

Visit site
With mine its more they think they are being helpful!!

Luca likes to take the strain for you when you a field clearing by holding the end for the fork handle... however this isn't always strictly helpful!!

River on the other hand likes to tell you exactly where his sweet itch is bad - he'll point to it either with a hind hoof or his nose - he won't scratch it - just point when I am putting his cream on - as if to say - "here please, this bits itchy today"...

They do countless other 'helpful' things too!!! They are quite a pair!!

algy666

www.bebo.com
Dylan begs for food, will push gates open and closed whilst hacking (comes in VERY handy lol), and tries - bless him - to help muck out if he's in the stable by holding the fork in his teeth and pushing it along
tongue.gif

hoggedmane

Visit site
friends horses wee on command when they go in at night into a bucket. really saves bedding. my mares are not getting it at all. The only helpful thing my girl does is open her own stable door and let herself out! and empty the wheelbarrow when you are pooh picking (but not on the heap!) so not at all helpful really.

lauraandjack

Visit site
Mine is getting the hang of pushing gates whilst out hacking, not always helpful when you are trying to close them lol!

Also very helpful about picking his feet up both for me and the farrier. You only have to touch his leg and up comes the foot, when you get to the next one it is usually up and waiting for you! He'll even lift his feet forward to put them on farriers tripod thingy, bless him!

251libby

Visit site
If you put jaz in a stable with the banks up then she'll kick them all down with her front feet! Although she doesn't pat the bed down and set the banks!
She also comes to call in the field so you dont have to go in and she lifts each foot it turn for you to pick out
smile.gif

stacey_lou

Visit site
my boy is very good bless him. My mum is new to horses and only just in the last year gained confidence to do my horse on her own if am busy.But he have leant that when mum wants to put his head colla on him he drops his head for her down really low so she can put in on him and he has learnt to shut his own stable door and pick his feet up on voice comand for her bless him.

Jezzerbell

Visit site
My boy will sweep up if you let him have the broom. He will also load himself into the trailer if you let him (ie if your not quick enough he's in without you!) Unfortunately he also tries to nip onto anyone elses trailer if their not looking when he is supposed to be going to the field, walker etc!

Enfys

Visit site
Apart from putting their noses into their halters, no, I can't think of anything.

Charley (a yearling) has countless tricks but they are all taught and just to keep him occupied, although I suppose most of them will be useful at some time. He learned to pick up his feet and hold them up yesterday, and to be 'shy' (he turns his head away, so I suppose that's a stretching exercise really) He's a smart little cookie and is desperate to do things, he'll also turn (pirouette) in either direction, back up, climb on/in anything and halt immediately on command even loose in the field.

Pidgeon

Visit site
Yes Pidge lifts his front legs ready for me when I want to stretch them once I've put his saddle on, he now does it without me asking him to
grin.gif

Also the other week when I was poo picking the field he left the haylage pile ambled over, pooed next to me and then ambled back to the haylage - clever boy
smile.gif

ETA: He also opens and shuts gates on command too

Box_Of_Frogs

Visit site
Sunny self boxes so that SOUNDS helpful. Until you realise that Sunny (who has special yard-wandering privileges, YO thinking of paying him a wage for keeping yard verges tidy) will box himself into any stable that's open on the off chance there's a feed in there. A few weeks back, he'd been wandering round eating the verges as usual and I'd gone for a cuppa in the caravan. Sunny mooched into the barn where another livery had just finished doing her ned's stable. Sunny calmly went in, had a long drink from her ned's clean water bucket, nibbled her ned's newly filled haynet, crunched a bit off her ned's new Likket, crapped on her ned's beautiful clean bed and buggered off! Don't you just love 'em???