Does your horse have any endearing or odd habits?

Chippers1

Visit site
Buzz likes to wave his tail like a flag when he goes to the toilet...both things! My instructor noticed it on Friday and thought it was a cute little habit :) i forget he does it until someone points it out but it is cute!

He also prefers to wee on concrete or in the horse box rather than a bit of grass or in a school - which can be a bit annoying when i'm trying to get him to go as he does not jump well when he needs a wee (i wouldn't either to be fair on him!) but he also won't go when i give him lots of opportunities to, preferring to wait until after the lesson when he was tied back on to the trailer :D

My old pony used to eat his daily pear above a fence so all the juice was dribbled on the top of the fence, he'd then lick it all off afterwards!

How about everyone else?

ownedbyaconnie

Visit site
My mare whickers when I take my feet out of the stirrups at the end of a ride. She knows a good scratch and a polo are coming her way!

Edited to add she once even did it after an unplanned dismount. I was lying on the floor and she touched me with her nose and whickered! Little devil, it was her cheeky pony shoulder duck that got me off!

McFluff

Visit site
My boy lifts my grooming bag up and swings it round. It's quite heavy (a few kilos) - and I really can't work out why he does it. Looks well pleased with himself after he has placed it somewhere else in the stable. Not sure that it's endearing, but it's definitely odd!

katastrophykat

Visit site
When we go quite deep in the sea my mate sticks her head in and waves it around. She dips most if her face in but leaves her eyes out and just waggles it. I think she likes the splashes! ??
I bought a big WB from another user on here- he did that in the water trough the first day he went out- in it right up to his eyeballs ?

Goldenstar

Visit site
We have had car lickers and one that removed the windscreen wipers from the Defender When MrGS has his back turned .
My best horse liked to jump out the field and lie on the lawn when I was doing the garden ,that was lovely .
Fatty is very good at asking for things he makes a noise under his breath and looks at you .

dorsetladette

Visit site
Both my boys pick their feed buckets up when they have finished eating and flick them about by the handle. B1 wees when he sees me (I think its excitement). He also likes rubbing his face on your chest or holding parts of your coat in his mouth. He's a bit like a Dr dolittle as the sheep, turkeys and chickens follow him around.

Chippers1

Visit site
Both my boys pick their feed buckets up when they have finished eating and flick them about by the handle. B1 wees when he sees me (I think its excitement). He also likes rubbing his face on your chest or holding parts of your coat in his mouth. He's a bit like a Dr dolittle as the sheep, turkeys and chickens follow him around.
Buzz does the bowl flicking too! He also does it if i put a bowl of feed down that he's decided that he doesn't like or want, he'll throw the whole lot over :rolleyes: he also likes to hold parts of coats in his mouth!

Pinkvboots

Visit site
One of mine will lick most things he especially likes human skin the face neck anywhere he can get to really, he also sticks his tongue out for it to be squeezed he goes into a trance like state, absolutely loves it and has done this all his life.

My other horse is a big escape artist unties ropes can undo bolts really easily, you can't leave the door open for a second or his out, breaks through stall guards or chains accross the door as well

Dave's Mam

Visit site
Dave also likes to sit like a dog.

95886170_10158834095429739_1612231290130530304_n.jpg

Scotsbadboy

Visit site
Not so much a bucket thrower but one of mine would pick up his bucket and hand it back to you after he'd finished eating.

I was asked to change the rug on a friends stallion and he was terrifying until the groom told me to give him a rug to hold and he just went like a lamb and held the rug whilst you changed the rug .. very bizarre!

mini_b

Visit site
He HAS to sniff poo
Fresh, old, in a skip, wheelbarrow, his, someone else’s.
When the muck heap was removed a lot of it ended up on the drive and he went down like a bloodhound sniffing the whole way down to the with his nose grazing the ground.
He will drag me in a different direction to check out a poo.

!CobsCan!

Visit site
Oh were do I begin
This my little grey gelding btw
Picks up everything, farrier tools, buckets, brushes, rocks literally everything
Unzips coats, pockets, undoes buttons and velcro even if there aren't treats in the pocket
Pulls the hair bands out of my ponytail
Opens doors and gates
And a lot more!

Green Bean

Visit site
Mine tries to give me a cheeky nip when I dare to suggest it is time to go back to the stable after hand grazing. This is a new thing with her being on box rest. And don’t forget the farting when walking through the barn. You don’t want to be walking behind her!

PapaverFollis

Visit site
Granny horse used to grab my sleeve and pull my arm down towards the floor. That was weird. Only in the last couple of years so not sure if it was linked to being uncomfortable in some way so although it was quite weird and funny it also makes me a bit sad like she was trying to tell me something I didn't understand.