Does your horse wait or run when you fall off??

bryngelenponies

www.biopharm-leeches.com
Just a bit of fun and out of curiosity. My gelding stops immediately and waits, doesn't even consider running off. Whereas a friend's horse who I was riding threw me off and as soon as I'd been tossed she ran home. Do you think you can change a horse's behaviour and make them stay rather than run?

TopTotty

Visit site
Hi, I have only fallen off mine once each and they both waited for me. Mez was so shocked that she came around the jump to see what I was doing! Tilly dumped my in a spectacular way after the first fence of a BE XC but she stopped so I could remount! We got round clear. :)

Vickijay

Visit site
I fell off my baby horse twice, first time was in the school, she was off and popped over the 5' fence out of the arena :eek: the second time was cross country schooling where she jumped SOOOOOOOOO big down a step she jetisoned (sp) me off, I did a flying forward one-and-a-half somersaults, pike
dive straight into water, she legged it back to the truck but rather than go the way we had come she went 'as the crow flys' and jumped a MASSIVE fence into the garden of the big posh house in the middle of the course. Brilliant! So not only soggy but couldnt get her back out again as there was no way I was jumping that humungeous fence, it had to be dismantled to get her out of their garden :eek::eek:

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
Ha ha ha!! Funny thread... well, once he carried on regardless. It was in our field and I'd only had him a few weeks, it's quite a way to stable so usually canter home bareback to save time. I slipped off and he just went into his stable and munched on his hay looking rather non-plussed.

Second, out jumping, I saw him do a few strides, look over his shoulder and came trotting back. He didn't look at me or anything, just sort of stood over me as if to say "for god's sake, get up! You are soooo embarrassing!". So I got up, got back on and finished the course. Got eliminated too for going the same route twice. Yes, how embarrassing indeed.

(Rookie error)

monkeybum13

Visit site
Stops and laughs at me!
The first time I fell off her we were in a huge field (must have been 20/30 acres) and I expected to spend the next hour chasing her, looked up and she was looking at me with a face that said "what are you doing down there!"

My first pony used to leg it, and we'd find him in his stable!

Spot_the_Risk

www.animalcrackersdevon.co.uk
Mine goes home! He sets off at a spanking trot, he'll even be looking at me as I'm calling him! Apart from the time when I was knocked out, and another loose horse kicked him and he was lost on the commons for over an hour... that was bad.

A customer told me how she trains her horse to wait if she comes off. She's a sheep farmer on Dartmoor, she needs her horse to stick with her, so when they're young, she goes through a little training session... throws herself on the ground, gives the horse a ginger biscuit. Keeps going through the training until the horse cottons on... buck mother off and mug her for a biscuit! ;-)

mcnaughty

Visit site
Haven't fallen off new one ....... yet...... touching wood.......

Old one - oh yes, absolutely, legged it every time. I used to have terrible trouble jumping him - had the nastiest stop in the whole world and I came off a lot!

Anyway, went to a xc once and he hit a fence and very nearly came down - I rolled off and he stood a few feet from me holding front leg up - oh god - here we go I thought - bad injury - anyway, it was obviously only a hit nerve because as I crawled across the ground and went to get up he put it down and shot off at a flat out gallop heading back to the collecting ring. Some people tried to stop him at a gap in the hedge and he practically ran them down and disappeared out of view. I found out (when I huffed and puffed my way back up the hill) that he galloped straight at a metal five bar gate flat out and cleared it by a foot - little ***** - bloody well wouldn't jump 2.3 with me without a fight....

Anyway, got into the practice of hanging onto a rein in the end but nearly dislocated a shoulder or two in the process!

Funny though, he was THE most sensible hack ever ever ever. TB x Trek.

polopony

Visit site
Only fell off him once, was in the field - he trotted around in a circle, then looked down at me as if to say 'mummy, why are you on the floor.. oh yeaahh i bucked you off (cheekily trots towards me)' :D

reddie

Visit site
My lad always stood still after I fell off, no matter where we were and no matter how. Always had a surprised look on his face!!

Mickeymoo

Visit site
Mick buggers off and doesn't come back! I have a pet disc on my saddle with my mobile number on so when someone catches him they can ring me and tell me where they are. :eek:

When I hack early in the mornings I know who is about on yards locally so if I fall off I can ring them and they can come out and try and find him. :eek::eek:

The bugger did a full 2nd half of a bloodhound meet on his own - wouldn't be caught until the end. We untacked him, loaded him and he went home without a scratch or any broken tack.. Bloomin horse! :eek::eek::eek:

dafthoss

Visit site
first time I fell off was in the arena when I had only just got him and was riding him bareback because he didnt have a saddle, he spooked I just flopped off the side and he stood there. The second time I fell off was at a competition and he tried to run but I held him but he did a dirty stop he knew he shouldnt have so it depends on the situation

RuthnMeg

Visit site
Meg canters off! Grr, its the only thing that annoys me, and I would like to teach her to calm down and wait. I know she worrys without a jockey so heads home. Once I managed to keep hold of her, and it was as if I was dealing with a semi feral pony, she was so shocked to have me at the end of the reins, I nearly got ski'd as she was shooting backwards.
Saying that, I try not to make a habit of falling off, both 2009 and 2010 have been free from ground splats!

Eriskayowner

Visit site
The one major time I came off Jazz I was galloping with a friend on Squizz on the moor. Jazz tripped (I think) and catapulted me into the ground and I landed on my neck. Squizz kept galloping as friend didn't realise I'd hit the deck and I remember thinking "it's going to take me ages to find and catch him" but he was standing (not eating) about 6 feet away from me.

I think little horse loves his mummy! Bribery and corruption with carrots helps!!!

Holly_09

Visit site
Mine would spook and canter away for a few strides, then get confused at the lack of rider on her. She'd then stroll back up - I swear she would roll her eyes at me lol :D