Does your horse wee at particular times? (Sorry, gross topic!)

texenstar

Visit site
Hi Everyone!

So, a slightly random topic but has anyone noticed that their horse always has a wee at a certain time or because of a certain influence?

For example, one of my childhood ponies would always go for a wee the moment he was brought into an arena. He would do this at home and at shows. My current mare will often go wee in her bed when she sees me arrive. Has anyone else noticed something similar with their horses? Any idea what it means?

Something a little different to keep our minds off the current climate...

Hope everyone is doing well and planning lots of horsey time in the weeks to come :)

Last edited:

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Gelding always goes if you put new bedding. Or even just make the bed look different.
Welsh mare always goes after I've mucked out, I think she hold it in thinking there is no room for her to have a wee because she leaves gigantic dumps all over the place o_O

Mule

Visit site
I forgot, my mare always pees when she's waiting for me to bring her breakfast/ dinner

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Hi Everyone!

So, a slightly random topic but has anyone noticed that their horse always has a wee at a certain time or because of a certain influence?

For example, one of my childhood ponies would always go for a wee the moment he was brought into an arena. He would do this at home and at shows. My current mare will often go wee in her bed when she sees me arrive. Has anyone else noticed something similar with their horses? Any idea what it means?

Something a little different to keep our minds off the current climate...

Hope everyone is doing well and planning lots of horsey time in the weeks to come :)
MY prefers to wee in stable, I come out in the am, she sees me and goes wee,s , she has been out all day comes in and wees.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Yes, Arty mare is a particularly habitual wee-er. Yes always wees before her feed, trigger is hearing me make the feed (if I make it in advance and catch her unawares she looks all conflicted bless her), and always when she comes into her stable from the field.

RHM

Visit site
Mine always wee’s when we ride in open fields. He can’t have a gallop on a full bladder, all the company can bugger off and he won’t move until he has one!

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
My oldie would always wee and poo on his way to the gate when I called him in from the field. :) Had to get himself ready before the ride because he wouldn't go once tacked up.

Britestar

Visit site
Two of ours have a pee before being ridden. Once tacked up, take them to the grass, and they will pee. This even happens when out in trailer. Tack up, lead to a grassy bit, they pee.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Yes, every time she is expected to leave the stable. It is very time consuming, especially in the morning when she firstly won't getup of bed, then she has to assume the position and have a leisurely wee, then enjoy the fact that she has just had a wee, then have a good stretch, then poo, then FINALLY she is ready to come out.

The wee will happen at any time of day though, whenever she is asked to leave the stable.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Yes, every time she is expected to leave the stable. It is very time consuming, especially in the morning when she firstly won't getup of bed, then she has to assume the position and have a leisurely wee, then enjoy the fact that she has just had a wee, then have a good stretch, then poo, then FINALLY she is ready to come out.

The wee will happen at any time of day though, whenever she is asked to leave the stable.

Haha, yes Arts is similar. I have to leave a buffer of time in the morning for her morning yoga and toilet routine.

texenstar

Visit site
Thanks for your replies everyone! Does anyone have a theory as to why? I can understand them peeing on new bedding to get their smell on it again but in other situations its seems to be a mystery.

Weeing lowers their heart rate so maybe it just feels good :D

eggs

Visit site
Three out of the six horses at home always seem to have a wee when they hear the yard gate opening in the morning when I come out to feed and again at night when I come out to hay.

albeg

Visit site
Yep, mine nearly always goes when you go to bring him in from the field. It used to be in a particular spot outside the gate, but now it's in the paddock.

When he lived at home, it was always one particular spot inside the gate of the field, so much so that he killed off the grass, so there was a scary orange patch inside the gate :rolleyes:

Annagain

Visit site
Archie comes in of an evening, eats half his tea, has a wee and then eats the rest. He has at least one more between then and going out again in the morning - if you get there early enough and he hasn't weed, he'll go and have a wee when he sees you coming. Monty is the complete opposite. He won't wee in his stable (unless it's a dire emergency) so it's the first thing he does when he goes out and it's the last thing he does when you go to get him in - as soon as he sees you coming, he'll have a wee. If he does have to wee in his stable he then box walks until he can go out so his stable is either pristine or a swamp.

albeg

Visit site
Robin goes while I go make his feed.

That's reminded me that when Bob was at home, he liked to have his first wee of the day outside while I was making his breakfast, and would hammer his door to be let out for it. Once done he'd pop back into his stable and wait patiently for his feed.

Ouch05

Visit site
My old boy before he passed peed when he saw me. When I got my other horse he started to do the same. I laugh and call it their panic pee.

He also pees once his tack comes off on the yard. I keep a bucket at the ready all the ladies on the yard no to watch out for him. I am waiting for him to teach my young horse the same.

Tarragon

Visit site
I have always hated it if my pony poos when riding down the main street in our village, so I trained him to poo on a verge at a special place just before the village. Very useful.
I had a friend who was riding down the main street in a local and very touristy village in high summer, when her mare stopped for a wee and she had to watch this stream of urine flowing down the road amongst all the tourists!

Myloubylou

Visit site
Gelding always goes if you put new bedding. Or even just make the bed look different.
Welsh mare always goes after I've mucked out, I think she hold it in thinking there is no room for her to have a wee because she leaves gigantic dumps all over the place o_O

yes my older mare does this, is she making it smell familiar? She always pees in about a meter square which makes mucking out easier. My younger one pees where she likes, when she likes ?