Does your partner get involved with your horse?

zoeshiloh

www.stowmarketanddistrictridingclub.com
I just wondered how many people out there have a boyfriend/girlfriend that was completely unhorsey when they met, but now spends just as much time as you at the yard, travelling to shows etc...

I have been with my boyfriend for about four months, and although he loves shooting and country sports, he has never really been into horses. But, he comes to the yard with me every night, mixes up and feeds all my horses, mucks out and poo picks the fields so that I can get on and ride. He even fills the haynets up, despite the fact he makes his hayfever flare up! He takes me to shows and lessons, and when I have to travel away on business, or if I am coming home late, he goes to the yard and does the horses on his own. Last night he even took my 3yo colt for a "walk" while I was busy digging some rugs out the tack room. He goes and picks up all my hay, shavings and feed for me. I am thoroughly spoilt, and he enjoys being out and helping so much. It makes a change having a partner that doesn't resent the amount of time spent with the horses!

So, just wondered how many other people managed to convert their partners to the joy of horses.

ironhorse

Visit site
Mine soon realised that he was never going to see me unless he got involved!
He started riding not long after we got together but was mainly a happy hacker for a couple of years. He helped me buy a landy for towing or would drive the yard lorry if a gang of us were going to a show. He also borrowed his boss's caravan for weekend shows. He wasn't the best groom( still isn't!) but good at making bacon butties etc and keeping the other long suffering other halves entertained so very popular at shows!
Once I quit my London job and we had our own horse he got a lot more into it and is now VERY competitive - he won a big class at the WES champs last year and was year-end champion in two sections.
But he's quite happy to leave all the show prep to me and if it's a wet, miserable day to send me off to ride while he stays in bed! Suppose you can't have everything...

Kayfm

Visit site
I would keep hold of him if i was you ! My husband had never been near a horse until he met me. All he worried about was Chelsea Football Club. Although he does not muck out and make feeds etc he has a nice interest in the horses and gets involved. He takes me to shows and training with a sports horse of ours. He always comes down to see the horses and supports/helps with what ever i want too do with them. His friends cant beleive it and are always giving him stick !
grin.gif

sevoflurane

Visit site
my hubby didn't know me when i was younger and horsey....last year i bought a horse after a 22 year break and he loves him as much as me.he doesn't muck out but does feeds, rugs haynets, picks feet and brushes. He'll walk him out while i muck out and he's even bought a 4x4 so i can have a trailer....yey!!!!!!

saying all that i would like a little more time up the yard on my own too sometimes

Jezzerbell

Visit site
All you lucky people me and my OH have been together ten years and he still hasn't got a clue about horses! Avoids them at all costs peace has been reached by him buying a dog and taking up shooting at least he now has something to do when I disappear for the day to a comp!

Bozzy

Visit site
Mine was very involved to begin with, I taught him to ride, he'd muck out for me, take me to shows etc but after about 2 years it started to become less and less as it wasn't something he truely enjoyed. I guess he wanted to keep me happy to begin with, he also really liked my horse then but he sadly passed away and he didn't really get on with any subsequent horse I've had.

5 years on and he won't even come to the yard with me now! Saying that, he has offered to help out over the weekend as I'm having eye surgery tomorrow
smile.gif

Gorgeous George

Visit site
My OH isn't horsey and still isn't after having George for 2 years so I don't think that will change. He will however come up the yard and do DIY bits or help out if I need it and sometimes comes to shows to take pictures, or walk with me whilst I hack. He will also hold George and chat to him, but he doesn't want to know how to groom, or ride etc.

imyourstalker

www.myspace.com
My boyfriend wasnt horsey before we met, still isnt really, though he does love Henry, as much as he jokes around and says he doesnt. Henry hasnt ever been a fan of males, but he absolutly loves my dad and now he loves Boyfriend. Boyfriend will help with everything if asked, but has been known to muck out whilst I'm at work and surprise me at the yard once or twice lol! He once rode y/o's daughters horse and that was the story of his life lol! Boyfriend will happily groom Hen and tell me that I don't do it as well as he does, blah blah blah!
smile.gif

Zorrosmum

Visit site
You lot are lucky my OH wont even come to watch me ride!!! our yard is opposite our house and the only time he comes over is to look for rats!!!!! he doesnt do feeds etc and certainly wouldnt find him mucking out lol

Angua2

Visit site
He does if he really really has to. TBH he is better suited where he is as a sounding board.... his grasp of my horses psyche is sometimes more spot on than mine.

he now helps me when I go and get the haylage, but that was only because I complained that the supplier was getting a "little too friendly"

ldlp111

Visit site
my bf wasnt at all horse when we met he actually races quad bikes lol but so far he comes to shows with me when hes free helps me muck field, fix fencing and has made me loads of jumps. also my horse quite likes him and he likes her well most of the time. and hes been my rock over the last year.
grin.gif

Ali2

Visit site
My OH hadn't ridden except for one abortive attempt as a kid when we met. About five years ago I casually mentioned there was a beginners course available when I was going on a weeks intensive course. He came, got hooked, and now we have our horse of a lifetime
smile.gif
Think my 'plan' worked a bit too well though cos now we're fighting over who gets the next competition! He's rubbish at mucking out so I won't let him but he mucks in and gets everything else done
smile.gif
(oh and he's a crap groom cos he spends too much time talking and not enough time grooming LOL)

vam

Visit site
My bf wasnt horsey at all but has been getting more and more involved, he doesn't have a problem coming up the yard and since she has been ill has been up the yard doing what ever he can to make things easier for me (i still wont let him muck out though but he's very handy around the yard fixing things
grin.gif
).
he has got quite choked up about the thought of losing her, and she is very fond of him.

i know he did some of it to please me at first but now he has an intrest in it all. he has had a sit on a horse but as he's 6'7 there is only one horse up the big enough to take him (he makes a 17.2hh warmblood look 16hh
shocked.gif
) but he wont take it up properly.
I really cant fault him.
my ex was good as well and used to take me to shows most weeks, again no intrest at the start. i must train them well either than or they know there isn't a choice and submit!
tongue.gif

loulabelle

Visit site
I consider myself very luck that my OH got me back into horses. Hate to admit but he is also alot more knowlegeable than me!
We got together and within a month had brough 2 foals!

SaffronWelshDragon

www.facebook.com
My boyfriend didn't have anything to do with horses before we met. He's very much a country person though. We've been together two years and he's been with me with the horses right from the work go, although didn't know much about them. He blames being trodden on by a horse years ago for getting an ingrowing toenail!

He enjoys spending time with the horses (Saffron is very much a person horse, it's impossible not to like her), and helps me out in the fields, grooming them etc. I haven't got him poo-picking or picking out hooves yet (he says they smell!) A few months ago he started taking riding lessons and couldn't believe how much he was enjoying it
smile.gif
I'm really lucky to have him
smile.gif

JC1

Visit site
My husbands main involvement with my neddies just comes from his cheque book!
He did go and put a rug on one of them the other day and will go and feed if I really need him to. We're hoping to be able to have them at home next winter so I'm sure he'll get more involved!

D

Donkeymad

Hubby is more horsey than me and has spent his life with them, working with shires etc. If he was not heavily involved, our business would be non existaent (we run a carriage hire company)