Doesn't look good

measles

Visit site
1 year and 7 months on (and one foal) from pulling a check ligament in her off fore our jumping pony is now one month into a fitness programme. Her leg has seemed a tiny bit swollen in the last couple of days, but only so much that it's one of those is it or isn't it situations.

Trotted her up tonight in hand just to be neurotically sure all was ok and she's very, very slightly lame. Am devastated and can't think of anything other than, although the leg was scanned as 100% recovered 7 months ago, it's starting to cause a problem again.

With the festive season there will be a delay in getting the leg re-scanned and so I'm just wondering if others who have had ligament problems and brought their horse back into work have had anything similar happen? I guess I'm hoping someone will say something positive, though I can't imagine what it might be...
frown.gif

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
First - don't panic! My gorgeous WB Marmalade Sky did a check ligament in the field 18 months ago - when he came back into work (having scanned 100% and having had a further 6 months off) I saw (I thought) slight lameness every week! He's fine!

There are any number of reasons she might be slightly lame OTHER than a recurrence of the check ligament problem (and THAT is unlikely as check ligaments TEND to show more than slight lameness.) I would give her a couple of days off to be safe - and then trot her up again. Chances are she'll be fine. If she's still lame, it still doesn't mean it's the check ligament. Don't ruin your Christmas with 'what if's!'

measles

Visit site
Thanks, JanetGeorge. I agree totally that if it was her check ligament again she should be hopping lame but wondered if it was causing a mild problem which is still a disaster as she's only done 1 month of light work.. She looked 100% sound when ridden today but it was just as she came down to walk from trot in hand this evening that she looked a little lame. This, coupled with the slight swelling makes me frantic with worry.

This is the first ligament problem I've dealt with and I wondered if it was normal (clutching at straws here) to have some slight swelling over the original site of the injury as the leg gets used to work and bearing weight again? I've just read that back and it sounds like nonsense but maybe someone has been in a similar situation?

We will rest her and give her bute for a few days and monitor the leg and how sound she is toward the end of the week, but I think it'll be my nails I'm chewing this Xmas rather than turkey.....

Harvers

Visit site
Try not to worry too much! My horse done his suspensory liagament (different I know!) last August and got the all clear from the vet last December, when I bought him back in to work, the area of the original damage did keep coming up again slightly and at least once a week he was a little lame on it! I was ringing the vet constantly and they kept saying that it was completely normal, he is fine now..... Speak to your vet after Christmas and hopefully they will be able to put your mind at rest!

Good luck and I hope everything is ok.

measles

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Try not to worry too much! My horse done his suspensory liagament (different I know!) last August and got the all clear from the vet last December, when I bought him back in to work, the area of the original damage did keep coming up again slightly and at least once a week he was a little lame on it! I was ringing the vet constantly and they kept saying that it was completely normal, he is fine now..... Speak to your vet after Christmas and hopefully they will be able to put your mind at rest!

Good luck and I hope everything is ok.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks so much for giving me some hope. The leg seems more like normal today but then she had 1 bute last night and again this morning. Fingers crossed...
smile.gif

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

This is the first ligament problem I've dealt with and I wondered if it was normal (clutching at straws here) to have some slight swelling over the original site of the injury as the leg gets used to work and bearing weight again? I've just read that back and it sounds like nonsense but maybe someone has been in a similar situation?

We will rest her and give her bute for a few days and monitor the leg and how sound she is toward the end of the week, but I think it'll be my nails I'm chewing this Xmas rather than turkey.....

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm just going through this thought process too
frown.gif
Our mare did a peroneus tertius 7 weeks ago (we'd only had her two weeks) and I was over the moon when she walked and trotted up pretty much sound after six weeks. We were just discussing with the vet bringing her back into work and he noticed a swelling starting on her hock.
crazy.gif
frown.gif
She's back on box rest.

Fingers crossed for both our girls that a little more rest and gentle exercise will get them fixed.