Dog boots... Please help!

Kat_Bath

Visit site
Harvey has a skin infection in/on his left front paw. He has been to the vet (on Tuesday) and it's being treated from all angles (anti-biotocs, cream, salt water bathing). He's wearing a sock during the day, with a cumbersome heavy duty plastic pocket thing that goes over the top, for going out for pees and poos.

He's not been out walking to try and not aggravate it but we would like to get out the house tomorrow. He would be OK if he had a heavy duty boot on but I'm not finding much. Pets at Home are always a good go to but they seem to only have "web exclusives". We can pop in but I'm wondering if there's something I can do to fashion my own in case they don't have anything...

Any ideas? Any suggestions? Do you happen to know any good dog shops near Glasgow?! Should just vet wrap something round his foot?

{97702}

Visit site
My vets always give me old saline bags for this sort of thing - they may seem cumbersome but even my wimpy little greyhounds don't seem to bother with them, and they are tough enough to stand a decent walk. They tie around the leg with a short piece of bandage, they always seem to work well for mine?

Kat_Bath

Visit site
I've just had a Google and I think that's what I was given! But it's almost not tall enough as it immediately slips down. I could try taping round it... I cut the excess flappy hooky bit off and that did help a bit. He just walks like he's drunk 😂

{97702}

Visit site
It sounds like what you are missing could be the bandage/tape around the leg? My vets always cut slits into the plastic to allow them to thread something through, which is essential or as you say they just slip straight off!

Kat_Bath

Visit site
I've got an old shoe lace round it currently, through some holes. I wonder if I should cut holes further down though and have two ties. It's still very wide at the bottom though but I don't want to cut it up and it not be water tight...

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Following this as my little terrier, who is a real wuss, just hates getting his toes wet out poddling round the horses fields!

Bless him, he's 10 now, and really thinks he should be living a bit more of a sheltered life!

I'm sure I've seen proper dog "boots" which dogs in the emergency services are given, e.g. arson-detection dogs who have to go into buildings where there may be poisonous substances around. Wish I could remember where!

Or perhaps a gundog/sporting site may have something??

Kat_Bath

Visit site
Thanks for all your replies. I ended up calling Pets at Home when they opened to see if they had anything and they had a basic one in stock so we popped in and picked one up. It did the job but isn't great. I'll be glad when it's all healed - I think he's bored in the house and I'm missing proper walks! I'll be looking at the links though and perhaps getting something for the next couple of weeks to try and keep it clean even when it's healed. Then, we'll have something should the need arise in the future (hopefully not!).

skinnydipper

Visit site
Have you looked at the Ruffwear range of boots? I bought the Skyliner in the past but that model are now discontinued. They have a new range now and you might see something suitable. They also do boot liners.

https://www.ruffwear.co.uk/dog-gear/dog-boots

I can vouch for the ones that Clodagh recommended. Ideal for short term use. I have some in medium (might be too small for a lab) but if you let me have your details I can pop a couple in the post for you to try.

Last edited:

Kat_Bath

Visit site
Have you looked at the Ruffwear range of boots? I bought the Skyliner in the past but that model are now discontinued. They have a new range now and you might see something suitable. They also do boot liners.

https://www.ruffwear.co.uk/dog-gear/dog-boots

I can vouch for the ones that Clodagh recommended. Ideal for short term use. I have some in medium (might be too small for a lab) but if you let me have your details I can pop a couple in the post for you to try.

Thank you very much, that is very kind - I'll drop you a PM in a second.

I have heard of Ruffwear so look. Into their boots, thank you.

Kat_Bath

Visit site
If needed I just vet wrap the foot /leg over the dressing, works well x

I did get some vet wrap in Pets at Home and may well have to do that.

I'm hoping I can call the vet tomorrow and book him in for Tuesday. It'll have been a week and the vet said he'd like to see him to check but he'd be going regardless as I don't see a massive improvement. Maybe I am too hopeful but I'd have liked to have seen the skin calm down a bit and a bit less puss...

Dobiegirl

Visit site
Those Pawz ones that Clodagh recommended I use a lot and rate them, my Dobes use the purple ones and they should fit your Lab. Darcy my bitch is forever scuffing her paw on the path and then because she has OCD she will lick and make it ten times worse. I just put some wound power on it and one of these boots and off she goes through the thickest mud and the boot stays put and the foot is clean. They are reuseable as well.

skinnydipper

Visit site
How did Harvey get on at the vets, is his infected paw improving?

I hope the boots arrived. I posted 1st class Monday morning. I expect they were too small but they would give you some idea what size to order for Harvey.

Last edited:

Kat_Bath

Visit site
How did Harvey get on at the vets, is his infected paw improving?

I hope the boots arrived. I posted 1st class Monday morning. I expect they were too small but they would give you some idea what size to order for Harvey.

Was just coming on to PM you - they arrived, thank you! I think they are too small but I'll try again after they've been on a radiator (I figured warming them up a bit like a balloon could work)! Like you say though, they are a very good gauge for size so thank you.

The vet said it has improved. I think I've been looking at it every day and can't see much change because of that. He's to have his sock off during the day now as long as he doesn't lick and my OH works from home so she can monitor that!

He is also going out for walks again so he is much happier ❤️

Thanks again, you're a star 🌟

skinnydipper

Visit site
You're welcome. The dog they were bought for died and they are too small for my current dog.

I'm glad to hear Harvey has started to improve. Paws are tricky to keep clean and dry and unlicked!