'Dog Cam' - anyone else got one?

SadKen

Visit site
Someone at work had a dog cam on her wifi to watch her dogs while she is at work. I thought it was a good idea so I got one.

It's brilliant! I've always wondered what my two got up to while I was out, and now I know. They sleep. All day. Even my younger dog who is a total livewire, who never sleeps a wink at the weekend when we are home, spends his day sleeping. There is the occasional review of the garden for security purposes but that's it.

However if I talk to them on the camera, they howl. I have some cracking footage of the pair of them singing at full volume.

Wish I'd got one ages ago.

{97702}

Visit site
Ooooo how do you set it all up? I’d really like this!

I’ve videoed mine in the old days where you used a video camera, 8 hours footage of sleeping greyhounds while I was at work wasn’t very interesting though 😂

Scarlett

Visit site
Yup - we've got the Motorola Hubble set up. Was £40 or so. Camera is in the lounge and we view through an app on our phones. You can set it up to give alerts in various situations - noise/movement/temperature - which was really helpful as our younger boy was barking. Turns out it was over the Kongs we left them with so we removed them and now there's barely a peep out them!

My dogs also sleep all day happily. Usually on top of the sofa cushions which they both pull out of place and position for their own comfort.

leflynn

Visit site
I have the clever dog cam off amazon, simple to use and more boring to watch as Boots literally sleeps all day and barely moves so I gave up watching! (greyhound)

SadKen

Visit site
Mine is a topcony one I got for £40 off amazon- it's a cheapo Korean one, with instructions to match. I wouldn't really recommend it specifically. I got it because you can move the direction remotely with your phone. I got it with a view to following mine around the kitchen. However as they don't move much it's not really worthwhile and the app isn't really easy to use. I'd get a UK one if I was buying again.

You can get one that dispenses treats but I'm pretty confident that wouldn't last long in our house without direct supervision.

I believe clever dog delivers what it's supposed to, and it's only about £20.

{97702}

Visit site
Thanks for the ideas folks, I’ll definitely be looking to set something up - mine have the run of the kitchen/hall/sitting room when I’m at work though so I guess I’ll need at least 2 cameras - does that work/is it practical anyone? As you can tell, I’m not very techie 😄

some show

Visit site
I've got one a bit like SadKen, called MAISI - Chinese and about £35 on amazon, but I really like mine. It's been running for two and a half years now and I found it invaluable when I was doing separation anxiety training in the beginning. This one is also remotely move-able via the app on your phone.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
I'm not sure what ours is-its a motion detector one that sends us notifications (we have them all round the house covering the doors etc too) and/or it takes stills at intervals that we can check remotely.

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
I have a Logitech Circle system and as I have multiple monitors at work I can have it running in the background or on my phone - not that I bother much, as it's just hours of sleeping dogs with the occasional stretch and fart. :p As per ellieb I wish I'd had one back in the day for separation anxiety training and I will no doubt use it a lot more once the new pup arrives.

ETA: At least now I know who it is who nicks tupperware off the kitchen draining board...

seaofdreams

Visit site
I use an app called Manything, I leave my old iPod on the app at home as the camera and then the app on my phone, I just have the free version and have been using it for a few years now and it’s been great.

{97702}

Visit site
I have a Logitech Circle system and as I have multiple monitors at work I can have it running in the background or on my phone - not that I bother much, as it's just hours of sleeping dogs with the occasional stretch and fart. :p As per ellieb I wish I'd had one back in the day for separation anxiety training and I will no doubt use it a lot more once the new pup arrives.

ETA: At least now I know who it is who nicks tupperware off the kitchen draining board...

BC I'm sorry to be stingy but a Google search suggests that is £150 per camera new? I just wanted to check I'm looking at the right thing? God this makes me sound like a right cheapskate!!!

{97702}

Visit site
I use an app called Manything, I leave my old iPod on the app at home as the camera and then the app on my phone, I just have the free version and have been using it for a few years now and it’s been great.

Seaofdreams I have to comment to say that your avatar picture is absolutely brilliant :) Love it :)

I also like the idea of the app :D

Last edited:

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
BC I'm sorry to be stingy but a Google search suggests that is £150 per camera new? I just wanted to check I'm looking at the right thing? God this makes me sound like a right cheapskate!!!

It's the right one - ours is part of a larger security system and we needed various other bits of functionality beyond just being a dog cam (perils of living with an engineer). Cheaper ones will absolutely do the job if you just need a fixed camera in one location. :)