Dog discrimination ... is this now a thing?

Greylegs

Visit site
We have recently adopted a rescue dog. He’s genuinely the sweetest, gentlest, most loving lad you could wish to meet. He just loves everyone and hasn’t got a bad hair on his body, so to speak. But... he’s a staffie cross, looks like a real tough nut and is covered in scars from goodness knows what past battles.

This week Mr GL has tried to book us a week in a rented cottage in Norfolk next summer, by way of a little holiday. The owners of said establishment have now declined our booking for this “dog friendly” accommodation - sourced from a website specifically for dog owners - because of our boy’s breeding. Apparently all staffies, and staffy crosses are potentially aggressive, destructive, troublesome beasts and are not welcome. They did not mention any excluded breeds in their listing and I wondered whether, if he were a poodle or a daschund, he would have been accepted.

Is discrimination against breeds in this way a new thing? It’s not something I’ve experienced before and I have to say I’m a bit offended by this sweeping generalisation, which has labelled our innocent and harmless dog as a trouble maker.

SOS

Visit site
That’s very strange about the holiday booking and I would ask for their reasoning behind this. Staffies are lovely dogs. Did you mention he was a recently gained rescue? I wonder if they were a little wary about an ‘unknown’ dog which may destroy the house.

I don’t discriminate against any dogs but do see it happening a lot. The most likely dogs to bite/attack might surprise a lot of people - daschunds are often top of the list! I do occasionally judge owners of some breeds though, which happens when the majority are ignorant to the dogs needs. I.e people who buy husky’s after seeing fictional TV shows with wolf pets or braccycephalic owners who think their pets snoring/snorting is cute

Bellaboo18

Visit site
Sadly I think it is a thing. We've also got a rescue staffie x, she's such a friendly little girl. Battersea dogs home did a campaign 'staffies, they're softer than you think'. Unfortunately a lot of them fall in to the wrong hands which is why so many are in rescue centres. They are however such wonderful pets, so friendly and most are great with kids.
I hope you find somewhere nice to stay but most importantly enjoy your lovely lad.

twiggy2

Visit site
There is a cottage in Norfolk called juanperi, can highly recommend it, fences are not high but I have a lurcher so she is not off lead unattended in any unknown garden in case if cats to not an issue for me.
The second bedroom sleeping is not the best but lovely place less than 5 mins walk from the beach.

Aru

Visit site
It's pretty common world wide tbh.

Massively overkill control measures in Ireland for staffies and their crosses as well.(16 controlled breeds there)Muzzled in public,walked by over 16s on short leash etc..

America also has lots of cities that restrict the pitties and bullbreeds as well and loads of rentals wont allow them as they cannot get landlords insurance with certain breeds living in the property.

Even in australia where the english staff is the most popular breed its pretty common for them to be banned from pet friendly campsites.

Its a pity because they are generally sweet dogs with people....and tend to make good housepets.

However dog aggression is an issue within pretty much all of the bull breeds and that really doesnt help. Its not uncommon for them to kick off loudly when on leash which looks and sounds awful to bystanders...In a campsite situation its also a complete no no.

Their reputation has also been destroyed by the idiots who keep them as status dogs and use them for dog fighting....

Plus the statistics for death from dog attacks by breed or type also paints a grim picture.

Chihuahuas may be a much more aggressive breed as a whole but the staffs,amstaffs and pits(who for some reason always get lumped in together as bull breeds when people are banning breeds)can do massive damage when they decide to. Size and power is definately a factor in why they are discriminated against.

I can sort of see why people are wary.

Everyone always says their individual dog is lovely and they usually are at home..but in a new stressful environment things change....and as a rule people also tend to be terrible at reading dogs. So when something happens the story's according to the owner is often that there was no warnings or that they have never done anything like that before...

I'd much rather be bitten by a Chi or even a labrador or collie then a Staff. They tend to do massive damage for their size when they decide too. Mostly thanks to their makeup and persistence with holding power....

Last edited:

pippixox

Visit site
Although without a doubt people are ‘breedist’, often based on unfair stereotypes. I can’t belive a dog friendly holiday rental can be breed specific! There is no evidence what so ever that a Staffie would be more likely to cause damage to the property. Rediculous in my opinion.

I have seen some places specific small dogs, but even that can be subjective (hotel near us, quite a fancy one that perhaps expects handbag dogs?!)

There is a great page on Facebook about a bully called piglet who will dress up in a tutu and do meet and greets to spread the word that not all bull breeds are scary.

I agree physically it’s a fact that bull breeds have a strong jaw and will hold on. But if treated correctly they would never be in a situation to do this. You would not say all GSD would grab and hold your arm just because police dogs are trained to.

Tragic case in the news recently of two week old baby killed by dogs, happened to be Staffies, to me was clear human negligence. But sadly it will continue to put people off all dogs of the sort.

I would suggest a pretty bandana or even a jacket of some sort on walks as a talking point!

Greylegs

Visit site
There is a cottage in Norfolk called juanperi, can highly recommend it, fences are not high but I have a lurcher so she is not off lead unattended in any unknown garden in case if cats to not an issue for me.
The second bedroom sleeping is not the best but lovely place less than 5 mins walk from the beach.
THanks for this. Ill do a search and have a look.

Greylegs

Visit site
It's pretty common world wide tbh.

Massively overkill control measures in Ireland for staffies and their crosses as well.(16 controlled breeds there)Muzzled in public,walked by over 16s on short leash etc..

America also has lots of cities that restrict the pitties and bullbreeds as well and loads of rentals wont allow them as they cannot get landlords insurance with certain breeds living in the property.

Even in australia where the english staff is the most popular breed its pretty common for them to be banned from pet friendly campsites.

Its a pity because they are generally sweet dogs with people....and tend to make good housepets.

However dog aggression is an issue within pretty much all of the bull breeds and that really doesnt help. Its not uncommon for them to kick off loudly when on leash which looks and sounds awful to bystanders...In a campsite situation its also a complete no no.

Their reputation has also been destroyed by the idiots who keep them as status dogs and use them for dog fighting....

Plus the statistics for death from dog attacks by breed or type also paints a grim picture.

Chihuahuas may be a much more aggressive breed as a whole but the staffs,amstaffs and pits(who for some reason always get lumped in together as bull breeds when people are banning breeds)can do massive damage when they decide to. Size and power is definately a factor in why they are discriminated against.

I can sort of see why people are wary.

Everyone always says their individual dog is lovely and they usually are at home..but in a new stressful environment things change....and as a rule people also tend to be terrible at reading dogs. So when something happens the story's according to the owner is often that there was no warnings or that they have never done anything like that before...

I'd much rather be bitten by a Chi or even a labrador or collie then a Staff. They tend to do massive damage for their size when they decide too. Mostly thanks to their makeup and persistence with holding power....
Thank you for this reasoned and balanced response. Very informative. By the time we go on holiday next summer we will have had our dog for around 6-7 months and very much hope he will be settled and well behaved (he is now!). He’s actually crossed with a whippet, which, technically, makes him a lurcher I suppose, so maybe we ought to state that if asked for breeding in the future - or would that make him a worse risk!?)

We will continue to seek a place where he will be welcome for our holiday. (Meanwhile, said doggy is asleep on the bed with his head in Mr GL’s lap, the big softy .... !! :)).

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I would suggest a pretty bandana or even a jacket of some sort on walks as a talking point!

Our Rottweilers wear brightly coloured collars and harnesses, so that they look 'girly', rather than tough. I meet other dog walkers who say that they will cross the road to avoid Rotts with studded collars because they look fierce.

OP, I would just say 'small cross breed' next time someone asks you what type of dog you will be taking on holiday. A family member has a rehomed Staffy who is one of the sweetest dogs you could wish to meet.

vallin

Visit site
Thank you for this reasoned and balanced response. Very informative. By the time we go on holiday next summer we will have had our dog for around 6-7 months and very much hope he will be settled and well behaved (he is now!). He’s actually crossed with a whippet, which, technically, makes him a lurcher I suppose, so maybe we ought to state that if asked for breeding in the future - or would that make him a worse risk!?)

We will continue to seek a place where he will be welcome for our holiday. (Meanwhile, said doggy is asleep on the bed with his head in Mr GL’s lap, the big softy .... !! :)).

The OH and I were put once and met a bully X lurcher, one of the loveliest dogs I've met. I imagine yours is similar :)

satinbaze

Visit site

I would just state him as a crossbreed of unknown parentage. After all I’ve seen Labrador crosses that can look like bull breeds.

MurphysMinder

Visit site
Sadly its not particularly new, just maybe more recently staffies have been targeted. For years GSDs have been discriminated against, I have booked holiday accomodation more than once and been somewhat vague about my dogs breed so they would be allowed.d

paddy555

Visit site
i am very wary of them. I have had lots of dogs and am very confident around sizeable dogs. We were at a picnic place with our 2 horses, they were held in hand and grazing and we were enjoying our coffee. The horses were very quiet, didn't even look up at the kids and dogs as they were so used to them. Families and kids playing around as usual. No problem. A staffie was also playing with it's family which included kids. Looked to be a very sweet dog, smiling, friendly with it's kids. What could go wrong? within 10 seconds flat this staffie shot out and attached his teeth to my horse's hind leg. His owner was totally unable to get him off. It seemed to take for ages to get him off. His owner was not a pathetic sort and was as shocked as I was as it came totally out of the blue.
I don't have any problem with the muzzle and short lead for these type of breeds although I know it will upset a lot of people. I don't think it would have been overkill if that dog (and similar) were muzzled. What was so different was that it wasn't a barking, vicious looking dog pulling on a lead where you could see the potential threat and could avoid. This behaviour came out of nowhere. I wonder if this is similar to some of the bull breed dog attacks where the dog seems harmless to it's family and kids but then just attacks.

Bellaboo18

Visit site
i am very wary of them. I have had lots of dogs and am very confident around sizeable dogs. We were at a picnic place with our 2 horses, they were held in hand and grazing and we were enjoying our coffee. The horses were very quiet, didn't even look up at the kids and dogs as they were so used to them. Families and kids playing around as usual. No problem. A staffie was also playing with it's family which included kids. Looked to be a very sweet dog, smiling, friendly with it's kids. What could go wrong? within 10 seconds flat this staffie shot out and attached his teeth to my horse's hind leg. His owner was totally unable to get him off. It seemed to take for ages to get him off. His owner was not a pathetic sort and was as shocked as I was as it came totally out of the blue.
I don't have any problem with the muzzle and short lead for these type of breeds although I know it will upset a lot of people. I don't think it would have been overkill if that dog (and similar) were muzzled. What was so different was that it wasn't a barking, vicious looking dog pulling on a lead where you could see the potential threat and could avoid. This behaviour came out of nowhere. I wonder if this is similar to some of the bull breed dog attacks where the dog seems harmless to it's family and kids but then just attacks.
What a terrible experience. I think it's wrong to judge a whole breed on one dogs behaviour though. It could have been any breed of dog. Statistically staffies have far less attacks on people than lots of other breeds of dogs. I think the attacks on children we see in the media are when owners don't see warning signs of dogs being uncomfortable.

eatmyshorts

Visit site
Understandable that you may be wary of a breed which has attacked you (i was attacked by a Doberman as a 12year old child & have been what i consider irrationally afraid of them since then) but it does not mean the dogs of the same breed can't be extremely friendly. I'm sure i read somewhere that the most aggressive breed of dogs is the chihuahua - but i wouldn't expect them all to be muzzled. Deed not breed!

To answer the original question, sadly yes. I've given feedback to such places advising them i would avoid places who have such prejudices.

Bellaboo18

Visit site
The fact a dog can fit certain measurements and therefore declared dangerous is cuckoo. My previous job was for an animal charity. We had an abandoned dog arrive pregnant, 2 of her puppies were classed as pitbull types and 3 weren't. Those two puppies had to be rehomed in Ireland. Does this make sense to anyone?? They had the same parents but just measured slightly different. Breed specific legislation is nonsense in my opinion.

paddy555

Visit site
What a terrible experience. I think it's wrong to judge a whole breed on one dogs behaviour though. It could have been any breed of dog.

I agree it may be wrong to judge however other breeds of dog didn't do that, they have chased my horses, snapped at them but this one was serious and the worrying thing was that this was the nicest, sweetest dog possible playing with it's kids. Just like the staffies everyone describes. Then it was confronted with a situation that made it attack. Perhaps the underlying instinct to attack is there, I don't know. The horses were not even looking at it, no one was taunting it yet it did. The bull breeds are one area that I could never trust. I can understand why people may be cautious with them.

vallin

Visit site
I agree it may be wrong to judge however other breeds of dog didn't do that, they have chased my horses, snapped at them but this one was serious and the worrying thing was that this was the nicest, sweetest dog possible playing with it's kids. Just like the staffies everyone describes. Then it was confronted with a situation that made it attack. Perhaps the underlying instinct to attack is there, I don't know. The horses were not even looking at it, no one was taunting it yet it did. The bull breeds are one area that I could never trust. I can understand why people may be cautious with them.

I've had similar but it was a French bulldog, ended up with me on the floor and my horse legging it back unaccompanied to her stable a mile away. As far as I'm concerned it was the owner that was to blame and nothing to do with the dog's. Round here all the staffies are lovely, it's the underexercised huskies and GSDs that are more of a problem. Though when out running I ended up giving a terrier a kick as it was off lead and decided to attack my (on lead!) dog.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Did they ask the breed or did you volunteer? I find it odd if they asked. Sadly, I've come across several aggressive staffies, took my three out separately, a different staffie attacked each one. However, the worst breed I've encountered was a Labrador with a clueless owner, a springer who attacked my springer every time and of course, my own werewolf.

SadKen

Visit site
Yeah we always check with the holiday letter that they are happy with us bringing two GSDs even if they say they're OK with 2 dogs. 2 dogs to most of the public are 2 spaniels, 2 JRT or similar, and ours are big, so we do check.

We've been declined several times purely on breed. Sad but understandable to be honest.

Karran

Visit site
I took Mrs Spaniel to a gorgeous dog friendly cottage in Mull this summer, the guest book was full of comments from people and their different dogs. I can PM the place if you like- don't want to cross any advertising type boundaries!

MyBoyChe

Visit site
I would imagine they are reacting to the bad press bullbreeds get or maybe they have had a bad experience with the breed due to a bad owner. As with all breeds, imo, the problem is always the owner. Some breeds are bred to do specific jobs, they will always have those instincts and if the owners have no breed knowledge they are always going to be asking for trouble. Very sad for the dog and makes life difficult for those of us who do know what we're doing. I would echo others who have said if anyone asks, tell them he's a cross breed, pick something more pc that he looks a bit like and go with that. My own little staff, who was a rescue and who I had when my son was small, I renamed her Emily Jane and bought her a sparkly collar, her temperament was never questioned :)

npage123

Visit site
Have grown up always having a Staffordshire Bull Terrier and one other dog, and now as an adult am carrying on that tradition. Our Staffies have always been well bred and trained from an early age, and I know the breed incredibly well. Our Staffies has always been super tolerant with toddlers wanting to do just about anything with the Staffie, much more tolerant than the smaller breed that we would have had at the time. And the Staffies are always big softies when there's babies around. It's as if they know their every move has to be gentle. Even so, as I'm aware of the unfair discrimination of the breed as a whole, I'll keep the Staffie on a lead in public places, as I'm fed up with dealing with comment from people that think they know it all about this 'awful' breed, including my own dog.

We've been to lovely wooden A-frame Scandinavian self-catering cottages in Norfolk, with massive pine woodlands on the doorstep, and they were dog friendly. Maybe worth a browse:

https://justlodges.com/holiday-lodge-and-log-cabin-parks/bracken-lodge-and-owls-retreat

SpringArising

Visit site
I've had five Staffies - four dogs and a bitch. All of them but my current one we've had from puppies and they came from very good lines from well-respected breeders.

All of the dogs have been shitbags with others. The bitch is a complete wuss and runs a mile in the opposite direction if something comes up to her. She's the only one we have ever been able to let off - she's a poppet and will walk at your heel absolutely anywhere.

I see a few other male Staffies in my area and they will have a pop at my one. I do think the males have a deep-rooted desire to scrap. From personal experience (not just mine, but other people's as well), the bitches are far more placid.

It is a PITA. I tend to cross the road if I see another dog coming. Some he's fine with and will sniff happily and others as soon as he sees them he'll big himself up and start trying it on.

I don't think it does any good to bury your head in the sand about them because they can be very difficult, but I have NEVER had a Staffie who is anything but a complete soft touch with people.

Clodagh

Visit site
I've had five Staffies - four dogs and a bitch. All of them but my current one we've had from puppies and they came from very good lines from well-respected breeders.

All of the dogs have been shitbags with others. The bitch is a complete wuss and runs a mile in the opposite direction if something comes up to her. She's the only one we have ever been able to let off - she's a poppet and will walk at your heel absolutely anywhere.

I see a few other male Staffies in my area and they will have a pop at my one. I do think the males have a deep-rooted desire to scrap. From personal experience (not just mine, but other people's as well), the bitches are far more placid.

It is a PITA. I tend to cross the road if I see another dog coming. Some he's fine with and will sniff happily and others as soon as he sees them he'll big himself up and start trying it on.

I don't think it does any good to bury your head in the sand about them because they can be very difficult, but I have NEVER had a Staffie who is anything but a complete soft touch with people.

Agree with you on this.