Dog DNA testing

ladyearl

vvv
Has anyone done this and if so was it worth it? That's all really I'm a bit fascinated but it's slightly over the (what I pay for nonsense) payment threshold so holding back just now!

thanks you all :)

s4sugar

Visit site
DNA testing for specific genes or the record parentage works.
The DNA tests to see what breeds are in an unknown dog are a scam.

Booboos

Visit site
I've had a DNA test for degenerative myelopathy as it is a difficult condition to diagnose. What do you need to test for? The test I got done was very reasonable (about 50 dollars as far as I remember).

ladyearl

vvv
I was looking at the DNA testing to find out what breeds are in the dog. Is it really just a scam??

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
I've done it to register the dog with the breed database in Germany. To prove he is the dog it says he is on his papers/his parentage is correct/his health test results belong to him.

Star_Chaser

Visit site
yes both in the Uk and other countries (US Canada and Europe) and for different reasons. What sort of tests are you thinking of having done??

Personally I think when it comes to DNA testing you have to look at the bigger picture rather than what you personally will gain unless your breeding. DNA tests so long as the results are shared offer the breed a fabulous source of information and data even the basic parentage tests can come in handy. There are also benefits if for an example your dog is stolen and recovered by a rescue then rehomed if you wish to recover your dog, it is an excellent way to prove that the dog belongs to you DNA unlike a microchip or tattoo cannot be removed or cut off the dog to hide their identity.

Worth every penny.

Star_Chaser

Visit site
I was looking at the DNA testing to find out what breeds are in the dog. Is it really just a scam??

Not if you go with a reputable company. Even some of the larger companies like Mars have got in on the action and do a Wisdom Panel 'insights' I haven't used their tests but it can be very useful if you have a cross breed and if your a curious person its great and might throw up a few surprises :D research carefully some companies are stopping these sort of tests.

s4sugar

Visit site
Not if you go with a reputable company. Even some of the larger companies like Mars have got in on the action and do a Wisdom Panel 'insights' I haven't used their tests but it can be very useful if you have a cross breed and if your a curious person its great and might throw up a few surprises :D research carefully some companies are stopping these sort of tests.

It is not accurate -some known purebreds have been tested and come up with breeds that are nowhere near. Even from different continents and with any possible common ancestry centuries back.

ladyearl

vvv
Hmm well this was sparked by the fact that I look at my rescue and wonder what are you really?? I'd only be interested if I'd get a factually accurate breakdown. Seems it's not all that so perhaps not for me.