Dog eating dog poo

Jennypenny

Visit site
Jasmine eats my other dog's poo! She is fed on Chappie complete X2 feeds a day and gets snack a balls and kongs in the day. She can't be hungry!!!!!! I pick the poo up as quick I can, but she is straight in there when he goes and has a dump!

How do I stop her doing this, it is really gross! help!
confused.gif

Blue-bear

Visit site
My JRT was doing this to his own when he was on chicken and rice as he wasnt digesting it properly it was coming out as tasty as it went in!!
Maybe you could try and get to the poo first, difficult i know, and put something untasty on it like....curry powder or something spiceier only a little and always have clean water near by, but thats what i would do if i knew the dog would go back to it and try to eat it. Doing this a few times should put him off.

JRT

Visit site
My JRT did this when he was a puppy but thankfully he grew out of that lovely trick!!

PucciNPoni

Visit site
Try feeding your other dog pineapple. Apparently that makes dog poo not taste so nice (though I can't imagine it can taste good at all anyway, but pineapple makes it worse!)

BigRed

Visit site
It is a pretty disgusting thing. My whippets go through phases of doing this - they only want to do it if it's fresh poo.

Yuck, yuck, yuck it makes me heave thinking about it.

Dogs eat all sorts of [****], I can't understand why anyone lets a dog lick their face.

My sister meets someone out dog walking who's Boxer always wears a muzzle, not because he is vicious, but because he eats [****] wherever he can get it.

ladyearl

vvv
If it's a habit then wearing a muzzle can really help break the habit. I walked a lab who ate everything and anything and was regularly sick as a result. A brief spell of about a month of always wearing muzzle outside managed to break the habit.

marinitagsd

www.marinita-sportshorses.com
The only thing I can say is "you only get out what you put in" and Chappie is a cheap compete food. If you knew what went into it, you wouldn't feed it!
Dogs can sometimes eat their own poo cos its still full of goodness, this is very often found in the cheaper foods as they don't digest very well.
In my experience if you feed a high quality food then more is absorbed so less likely to want to eat.
My suggestion would be a better quality food that is suited to your dog's needs.
Anita
x

Rafferoo

Visit site
Our lab would occassionaly tuck in to his own poo - and frankly any other poo he could get his snout anywhere near. Having said that he would eat anything - he even ate a mop head once!

suzysparkle

Visit site
We feed all ours on very good food (Royal canin 4300) and 3 of them still regularly dine on poo. Look on the bright side.....it's less to clean up!!! LOL. Seriously though, it's nothing to worry about. The 3 of mine that eat it are just so greedy they will pretty much eat anything.

sloulou

Azerbaijan (or London and Suffolk - maybe...)
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
We feed all ours on very good food (Royal canin 4300) and 3 of them still regularly dine on poo. Look on the bright side.....it's less to clean up!!! LOL. Seriously though, it's nothing to worry about. The 3 of mine that eat it are just so greedy they will pretty much eat anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

In what way is Royal Canin good? Have not heard is good? The better comercial foods are Burns, JWB or Naturediet or Natures Harvest.

Royal Canin doesn't do too well on this: http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/index.php

Royal canin can't be that good if your dogs aren't able to digest it properly and it is still coming out edible
tongue.gif

Fletchersmum

Visit site
Yuk!
My golden retreiver also likes spring cleaning my cats litter tray on a daily basis! He also eats other dogs poo, horse poo, rabbit poo, sheep poo any kind of poo will do!! lol
grin.gif

suzysparkle

Visit site
Good because my dogs look a lot better on it than they have on any other food (and I have tried the ones you mention). They eat poo whatever they are fed, including BARF when we gave that a go. We used to feed Burns but it wasn't high enough in energy - they are all working sled dogs. I deem a food good if my animals look good on it and have plenty energy, not because a website says so. They also have a lot more energy on 4300 (which I notice is NOT reviewed on that site anyway, nor is sensible so
tongue.gif
yourself).

As I mentioned, the 3 that eat it do so because they are very greedy. They will happily eat scrunchies, socks, bits of blanket, straw, sheep poo etc given half the chance. It doesn't need to be deemed edible for them to eat it!!!!

You feed what suits your own dogs and the only way to do so is trial and error. Royal Canin works for us.

CorvusCorax

'It's only a laugh, no harm done'
Visit site
RC didn't work for my dogs but their breeder (of 40 years experience and a Breed Warden) uses it with some of his (including animals that have won in Germany, so they have to be in peak condition) so I definitely wouldn't dismiss it.

Different strokes for different folks - some dogs do well on some foods, some dogs do well on others.
My dogs eat sheep and fox poo, last week they dined on a putrid hare, my old bitch ate a pair of tights.
It's not palatable (boom boom) but sometime, dogs just eat 'orrible things!