Dog - GPS tracking collars

Hanno Verian

Visit site
Has anyone on the forum used a GPS dog tracking collar? We live and ride out in a private estate and have a pointer who runs alongside us when we ride. She has recently run off for the first time, became disorientated and frightened, and as a result was missing for 36 hours before being found, after a lot of anguish and effort.

I understand the arguement about "not having dogs running free when you ride", that isn't the issue here, I'm asking if anyone has any practical advice or experience of these collars and could help me to make an informed choice?

There is a company called pawtrack that look promising, I'm not sure if I can put a link here to their website, in case it contavenes forum rules on advertising. Does anyone use this, or something similar?

littlespritz

Visit site
we got ours from maplins its called a pet locator, is good if the dog isnt that far away, ie when ur on a horse u can ride about and the tracker will bleep when ur near then take u too it, is only good if the dog hasnt been gone a long time!

Hanno Verian

Visit site
Yes I looked at something like that as well, it seems to be a radio locator that works when you are within range, I was concerned about the range in undulating ground!

What I was considering was a GPS based system that you activate via a mobile or the net, it will "ping" the collar and show its location every minute on a street plan or Google earth type map, which you can call up on a PC or your mobile phone.

What I want to know is does it actually work??