Dog has got FAT! help

Grey_Eventer

Visit site
our 2 year old labrador ahs recently got very noticibly fat. My mum who usually looks after them went away over the weekend and immdeiatley noticed how fat she had gotten.
As i was also away- staying with friends we do not know what my dad and brother fed her, as they often feed too much! but what us makes us slightly worried is how quickly she has become fat. she was on heat for the last 3 weeks, finishing begining of last week, so we dont think she can be pregnant, especially as we are VERY careful as there are lots of un-neutered dogs around which we dont want to have puppies from!
is there any reason for this sudden growth in size? could it be a phantom pregnancy? she is a very fine labrador so not naturally a bigger dog.
any ideas greatly appreciated...

ladyearl

vvv
Well a lab and a girl and your dad and bro in charge could all equal just pure weight gain. In which case take a step back and really monitor her food intake and exercise. Also at 2yrs old she's a grown up and will find it easier to hold onto weight. I know of one lab who looks bigger after one large meal so it could be that. Her weight could have been creeping up for a wee while but you haven't notice until you've not seen her for a couple of days.

I think it's too early to see signs of a phantom pregnancy - these would usually show at the time she could have given birth which is in about 8 weeks.

Goya

Visit site
I have just replied to a post lower down about overweight dogs. Obviously check there are no underlying problems but if all OK then loads of excercise and watch and monitor the food intake. Unfortunately too many titbits and treats do not help.
I put my Lab on a "light" brand and she chases her ball, goes swimming etc.

Wishful

Visit site
Retake control of diet - Our lab gets fat (well fatter) if left with certain people so we feed him less until his weight is back where it belongs. If someone had as much control over my diet I'd be slim - especially as I don't scavange from the floor!

Grey_Eventer

Visit site
i think its my dad and brother feeding her too much! coz now shes back on her 3 walks a day and 2 trips up to the horses and normal feed and is noticably thinner again...we were jsut a bit concerned how quickly she had put it on!

Wishful

Visit site
Our Lab is the same - think they are conditioned to do it - famine/feast as they're originally from a cold climate. Usually takes a couple of days to repair damage - he's fed completely by eye - if he's fat he gets less, if he's thin or has had more exercise than usual he gets more!