Dog Insurance

Princess16

Visit site
Any recommendations of who to use? I have looked at Pet Plan but they are expensive, been advised against Tesco as they keep putting premiums up.

Who do you use? It will be for a Lab puppy.

Thanks.

cbmcts

Visit site
Petplan appear expensive but they have a fantastic reputation and don't put the premium up after a claim plus most vets are happy to deal direct with them.

Tesco,More Than and Argos all have reasonable reputations but price more on risk so after claims your premiums will jump and if you are going for lifetime cover - with a pup you'd be mad not to IMHO - you are then stuck with that insurer at whatever price they want to charge!

Avoid Animal Friends and E&L of course...

Dog not insured, he was too old by the time I got him, cat insured with PetPlan (they were actually cheaper than any of the others as it happened) and I had a horse insured with them who injured himself within a month of the policy being purchased and they paid out nearly the full 5K vets fees without a quibble.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
Petplan appear expensive but they have a fantastic reputation and don't put the premium up after a claim plus most vets are happy to deal direct with them.

Petplan do put prices up after a claim as do KC-they also put them up massively when to animal gets a bit older (as most of them do tbf)

Archangel

Visit site
I insure with The Post Office. Premiums have stayed pretty stable for 4 years. You usually find out how good your insurance is when you have to make a claim though.

Dobiegirl

Visit site
Mine are all Insured with Animal Friends and when Diesel did his cruciate they were brilliant, they paid the vet within 10days, paid for all his hydrotherapy and his premium is only a few pounds more. I think with a lot of Insurance claims you have to make sure all the ts are crossed and the i,s dotted.

cbmcts

Visit site
Mine are all Insured with Animal Friends and when Diesel did his cruciate they were brilliant, they paid the vet within 10days, paid for all his hydrotherapy and his premium is only a few pounds more. I think with a lot of Insurance claims you have to make sure all the ts are crossed and the i,s dotted.

They are the only ones that my vets refuse point blank to deal with - they reckon that they don't pay out on a huge percentage of claims. I know that a few other vets locally have the same policy.

Petplan do put prices up after a claim as do KC-they also put them up massively when to animal gets a bit older (as most of them do tbf)

I know they do with age - scary as the cat is 7 now and I think there'll be a hike plus a reduction in cover next year :( but they haven't increased the premium last year or this despite claims in both years. Mind you, they were smallish claims and not ongoing. They were so easy to deal with though both with the cat and the horse especially compared to NFU which is the only other claim I've made in recent years...

fankino04

Visit site
I always found tesco easy to deal with but did have big price hike, especially for the older girl, actually don't have the dogs insured anymore am just putting money aside to use if needed instead. Cats are with asda and just put claim in with them, fairly quick payout and hassle free, also had positive experiences with direct line. I tend to do the same as with car insurance and shop around each year that way I'm not overly put off by a reputation of price increases at renewal as I can change the next year but none of mine had anything that would be excluded on a new policy.

Peter7917

Visit site
I insure with direct line.
I've made various claims, all paid out, one of which was in excess of 5k.

They take ages to pay out though 6-8 weeks but they have never challenged anything and prices seem competitive.

leflynn

Visit site
I'm with tesco and they tried to hike up the premium so just started a new one as had no claims and it was the same price as the previous policy...

paulineh

Visit site
I always used NFU but when I got a second dog they wanted to charge me the same as my older dog. I left my old dog with the NFU as he was too old to move and also he had three ongoing claims.

My cat had always been with Pet Plan so the second dog was put with them. I now have a third dog plus a puppy and they are all with Pet Plan. I have insured my cat and three dogs for the same amount as NFU wanted for one dog.

Have claimed once with PP and never had a problem. The vets did a direct claim, all I had to do is pay the excess.

PP are a little more expensive but you get what you pay for.