dog shedding

Visit site
Spaniel who is in season is dramatically shedding, I could pluck her like a chicken ! Is this a hormonal thing, seems wrong time of year for losing coat. Should I be knitting a jumper for her :D

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
my collie cross sheds all year but at the moment is shedding lots, i cant remember her being this bad in previous years. hers shouldnt be hormonal as she is neutered...my hoover has never been so busy!!!!!

bonny

Visit site
My dogs are the same, I’m not sure how true it is but I’ve always thought dogs nowadays are confused by central heating and have lost their natural coat growing seasons. My last collie who died last year aged 17 got furrier as she got older and shedded all year round.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
i dont have central heating so no idea why mine sheds all year. some people say it changes them if they are neutered but none of my others have shed all year round....

TheresaW

www.justgiving.com
We have a husky. They apparently blow their coats a couple of times a year. I say apparently as she is now 18 months old with no blows, until now! Started about a week ago and we are getting handfuls out. Was hoping as she was short haired we’d be lucky, but doesn’t look like it.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
I've spoken of Fitz's shedding before-his puppy moult was epic! he sheds massively twice a year-Quarrie has nothing on him in this regard (and goldens are notorious shedding wise although ime as long as you don't wear black, you are ok). Fitz gets a zoom groom daily followed by a grooming stone when he's in moult.

Neutered dogs tend to shed continuously in my experience.

Chiffy

Visit site
My older flatcoat age 6 was neutered after 3 seasons. She certainly doesn’t shed continuously MOC. She last she’d in about June along with my now 16month old who is not spayed yet . No one is shedding at the moment.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
My older flatcoat age 6 was neutered after 3 seasons. She certainly doesn’t shed continuously MOC. She last she’d in about June along with my now 16month old who is not spayed yet . No one is shedding at the moment.

oh, thats interesting-I dont do bitches really but the setter moulted continuously as did the collies and I've been warned that neutering does the same in smooths.

Chiffy

Visit site
I was warned that flatcoats could get a longer or woollier coat if spayed young but not about the shedding. My first flatcoat was spayed after one season and certainly had a heavy coat in old age but I have never had too much shedding.
From facebook conversations, I gather Smooths moult most of the time whether neutered or not!
My latest addition is too young to be sure what her coat is going to be like and the jury is out on her breeding at the moment! I am thinking there might be some Collie in with retriever!

Janah

Visit site
i have two yellow labradors aged 11 and nearly 14. They have both become hairier with age. I am lucky however that they only shed twice a year. Janurary to June and June to January, sigh!