Dog trodden on

smokeybabes

Visit site
My little jack russel terrier got under my horses feet today and managed to get one of her front legs trodden on. She obviously squeled very loudly then ran and went submissive. To start with she was very squely when you tried to touch but after she'd calmed down after a few minutes she didn't mind me touching it.
Now we're home she's let me touch all of her leg. She is limping but does seem to be putting weight on it. She also lets me move the joints.
Is it likely to be sore/bruised rather than broken?
Is there anything i can do to help eg. bandage it up. Obviously i will take her to the vets if it isn't much better by tomorrow morning or if she seems to be in more pain, but at the moment i'm thinking it's not broken as she'll let me move it and feel all along it and she is putting some weight on it.
She's currently fast asleep on sofa so doesn't seem to bothered by it and when i put her in car to bring home i put her on front seat but she still hopped through to the back!

SouthWestWhippet

Visit site
generally if it is broken it will be very swollen and she will squeal if you try to move it.

I would think, based on my experiance only, that if she is weight bearing a bit and lets you touch/move it then it is most likely just badly bruised. Personally, I wouldnt bandage it cos I would worry about restricting movement in sore muscles. I would rotate the shoulder joint to check that was moving comfortably cos you can get hair line fractures up there. I wouldnt go to the vet unless it got worse either...

Poor little mite, mine have been stepped on as well it is horrible to see isnt it.

SunshineTallulah

Visit site
I know the feeling. My puppy got trodden on not once but twice on Sunday.
frown.gif
Not once but twice. Poor thing. Boy did she scream her little head off.

She seems to be less carefree around the horses now and keeps herself at a distance now, whereas before I was finding it difficult keeping an eye on her all the time as well as sorting my horse out.

I worried that she had a broken foot - well she managed to get her front and hind paw stood on. <font color="green"> </font>

smokeybabes

Visit site
I know the squeal when it first happened was horrible!
And i was really worried cos she's only little.
There doesn't seem to be any swelling at the moment. I can stretch her leg out and move the shoulder joint and bend her knee which makes me think it isn't broken.
Though since being asleep on sofa she doesn't seem to be weight bearing at all now.

kerilli

Visit site
i'd see if i could get her to sleep on a hot water bottle, but basically leave the leg alone until tomorrow, see how she copes with it. even carry her out to do her business and carry her back in, rather than making her use it, if it's very painful for her.
if she's bad in the morning, i'd take her to the vet. the great thing about jrt's is they can do a "russellscan" - i.e. the whole dog in one pic, acc to my vet!

smokeybabes

Visit site
Ok i have a hot water bottle so will fill it up and put it on sofa with her tonight!
I carried her upstairs to the flat earlier and i will carry her downstairs later to go out to do her business!
I'm sure she picks it up more when i look at her to check she's ok, as if to say look mummy i'm poorly!

DaisyDuke

Visit site
Oh dear!
crazy.gif
my Patterdale Terrier got trodden on by a horse a good few months ago now and squealed the place down, he then hid under the car and took 20 minutes to persuade him it was safe to come out!!
He was fine too, just more wary!
TBH I think it was a good thing to happen to him as he thought he was invincible and luckily a not so serious accident made him more cautious!
Hope all is well with the little JRT!
x

filly190

Visit site
I would be tempted to give her a small dose of a human pain killer to ease things. I hope she is ok and its not too serious. Big hugs for her.