Dog vomiting....lots

poiuytrewq

Visit site
He's not ill, its not an emergency.

I take my dog to work on a yard every morning with me and always have done since I had him at 5 months. He's now 3. He loves it and gets upset at being left at home, he's fine to leave any other time but he knows work hours!
I work on a yard and there is another dog who is his best friend so I'm really reluctant to stop taking him.
however for an unknown time now- maybe a year on and off (now its daily) he's very sick after work. It can go on for hours and is quite explosive. Just watery, nothing much in it (sorry!) and no warning he just projectiles across the room.
If I leave him at home, weekends, holidays or just sickness testing days! he's absolutely fine. He stayed home all last week as my boss has a small child and and i'm not sure I trust him 100% with kids and he wasn't sick once.
We have horses at home so in theory he can eat hay, poo etc here and I cant think of anything else he's getting at.
O/H says he has to stay home from now on after an especially bad bout today.
Any idea's? He'll be heartbroken and feel all sad....

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Think you need to firstly confine the dog while you are at work because he's obviously picking up something that's disagreeing with him. My two are very good at picking up farrier's shavings/hoof bits, and this makes them sick. Wonder whether this might be the problem OP?

There has to be something he's picking up on the yard; you need to find out as a matter of urgency I would suggest as it could just be that someone is putting down poison or something, or perhaps he's getting access to chemicals. There has to be something.

But if this sickness is happening on a regular basis you need to take the dog to the vet IMO as there's obviously something going on.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Think you need to firstly confine the dog while you are at work because he's obviously picking up something that's disagreeing with him. My two are very good at picking up farrier's shavings/hoof bits, and this makes them sick. Wonder whether this might be the problem OP?

There has to be something he's picking up on the yard; you need to find out as a matter of urgency I would suggest as it could just be that someone is putting down poison or something, or perhaps he's getting access to chemicals. There has to be something.

But if this sickness is happening on a regular basis you need to take the dog to the vet IMO as there's obviously something going on.

Absolutely this.
Do the dogs just wander around at will with no-one taking much notice of what they are doing? As someone else said, hoof shavings make our dogs sick, one more than the other.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
The farrier is only in every few weeks and in all honesty he's the least bothered dog there by hoof bits so I don't think it's that.
He spends much of the time with me or sleeping in the tack room and never wanders far at all. He has a birth deformity so is a moocher around type rather than go adventuring.
I'd not thought of anything as horrible as someone putting poison down!
It's a private yard and my bosses are aware of the problem (their dogs are fine) bit they are obviously dog aware and small child aware so nothing dangerous should ever be around.
I will run it past my vet but don't think there is anything physically wrong as he's guaranteed ok if he stays home.

Dry Rot

Visit site
I would try to take a sample of the vomit in with the dog. The vet might get a clue from that. Sounds an odd one though. I assume the dog is otherwise in good health? Dofs vomit more readily than other animals and it is usually nothing to worry about. Eating grass will do it and eating grass is good as it is a source of vitamin B, as is poo!

Dizzydancer

Visit site
Is he fed morning or evening or both?
If evening is he sick before you feed him or after?
My lab would be sick if he had done lots of activity and not got regular food (he also has to eat late at night or we get vomit at 4am)
He has an overactive metabolism and vet said when he does lots it must be his stomach acid causing him to be sick. Just a thought as if at yard pottering all day your dog maybe more hungry than a day of rest?

3Beasties

Visit site
Is he fed morning or evening or both?
If evening is he sick before you feed him or after?
My lab would be sick if he had done lots of activity and not got regular food (he also has to eat late at night or we get vomit at 4am)
He has an overactive metabolism and vet said when he does lots it must be his stomach acid causing him to be sick. Just a thought as if at yard pottering all day your dog maybe more hungry than a day of rest?

I was just going to say something similar. If he doesn't eat during the day when at the yard I would try giving him a small meal (or two) while he's there to see if it makes a difference!

MissTyc

Visit site
My dog vomits if she doesn't have a dinner. If a lazy day she just heaves a bit, but if it's a busy day she vomits quite seriously. I call it hunger vomit, as it doesn't seem related to anything else and she doesn't seem in the least bothered by it. Giving her a dinner made it stop entirely.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Interesting points, he's fed twice a day (only small amounts) really just because my old dog struggled with weight and wasn't a hungry dog so it became habit. He's a lab so always starving!
Yes he's healthy otherwise and even on bad days he's his normal playful happy self.
Weirdly today he's not been sick once?!
He does like racing nuts. I must look up what that contains exactly as that's one thing I don't use at home. (He won't bother with any other horse feed!)
I realised at work today how much I'd miss the little chap pottering round with me if he started staying home!

Dizzydancer

Visit site
Mine is also a lab- altho not food obsessed weirdly! He has to be fed 3x a day to prevent sickness and when he works in shooting season he has to have digestive biscuits at lunchtime or he is sick in afternoon (he won't eat his own food as he is too high on adrenaline so has to be treat foods!!)
I can know what you mean about the pottering about its nice to have a little shadow!