dog walkers

ceva

Visit site
What would you have done! My field is located on a bridleway which i have to use to get to village, lots of dog walkers use it and generally are fine, control dogs or put them on lead, today as I returned there was a lady whose dog was quite a long way behind her so as I approached I asked if she would put dog on lead before I went past as a few dogs in the past had upset my horse and I knew if it went behind her she would kick out, well this lady totally lost it told me she had right of way and i shouldnt be on a horse that would kick a dog ( my horse has actually been attacked in the past by a loose dog). She had had a horse and her dog was fine with that.(she should have known better)
and that my horse was dangerous, she was ranting and shouting while i stood quietly on Misty. Who was brilliant I have to say. Where do I stand on this one anyone know the quidelines, I think she should have just put her dog on the lead and gone home.

Twix001

Visit site
yeah i agree with you , she should have defiantaly of put her dog on a lead and let you past without any hassle, i was in the woods the other day on my horse and this man wouldnt put his dog on a lead and had no control of his dog whatsoever, my horse hates dogs and will rear up on them , in the end another man that had put his dog on a lead shouted over at the man to control his dogs and to put them on a lead, surely we have the right to tell them to put there dogs on a lead for the dogs own safety?!

ceva

Visit site
Tks twix, have emailed British horse society to see where we stand on this as there have been an increase of horse attacks by loose dogs. there must be some guidelines laid out.

ceva

Visit site
I have seen her quite often and heard her shout at another dog owner, but don't know what happened, thinks she needs some anger management classes. I just thought if i could get something in writing to show her it might help., but then probably just keep my distance as I hate confrontation, next time i will wait till shes gone. Misty can have elevenses on the grass at the top of the bridleway till its clear.

D

Donkeymad

The Countryside Code (whatever it's correct name is) states that a dog must be under control at all times - not neccesarily on a lead. This dog so far behind was obviously unlikely to be under proper control, and does need to be reported. Why can't dog owners(and I am and have been one for many years) learn the 'rules' of safe and sensible and responsible dog ownership
mad.gif

ceva

Visit site
I have just read the countryside code (googled it) and it says close control, I must say the dog was quiet, and just minding its own business, but it was so far behind her that I was worried it would wander behind Misty as I passed and I know she would haven't have liked that, and would have maybe kicked out, especially as she said it was used to her old horse then it wouldnt have seen any danger.
P.s I couldnt have gone into the fields at the side as there are two rather large dykes there otherwise I would have. My horse is absolutely fine with my dogs, but she knows them.

vick

Visit site
Some people are so rude, i would of gladly put my dog on a lead. My pony got chased by a dog today. When i turned her out she trotted off, then this jack russle went tearing after her. the owner wasnt the least bit bothered. Luckly the dog didnt catch up with my pony.

woolly

Visit site
her dog should be under close control. If it ran up behind your horse and your horse kicked out I doubt you would be to blame. I am mad as hell with this as we always put or dog on a lead near horses or even when we saw another dog walker or jogger, even though our dog didn't bark or chase after any one.... Stupid woman...(not you...the dog woman!)

suzysparkle

Visit site
Her dog should have been on a lead or by her side. I get loose dogs run up to my Horse out hacking all the time and although he doesn't bother at all I always comment to the owner 'it's a good job my Horse isn't bothered by dogs because one day yours will get kicked if you aren't careful'.