Dog with a broken tail

Jingleballs

Visit site
My daft lurcher has broken her tail - god knows how or exactly when (at some point on Saturday/Sunday).

Just one vertebrae and it's non displaced so she's on metacalm and vet has advised restricted exercise to mimimize excitement.

How do you stop the dog with the waggiest tail from wagging it? I ended up letting her off the lead for a hooley in an open field as she was bouncing off the walls in the house (which is how we suspect she broke it in the first plae - by wagging it excessively and hitting it off the walls (this happens a lot!). This seems to have calmed her down in the house.

Vet seems to think it has a good chance of healing - anyone else had this happen to their dog? How well did it heal? How did you keen them calm to let it set??

Clodagh

Visit site
My lab has just had hers amputated after it got infected and just would not heal. So I can't really comment, except say good luck.

Brownmare

Visit site
My whippet broke hers but after a while the angle changed until it was sitting almost at right angles. Splinting didn't help so the broken section was amputated. Hopefully yours will heal. We found that bandaging a syringe with the end cut off over the tail tip helped it to heal (post amputation) so maybe try that to protect the broken section in the house