Doggy Dew Claws....

BallyJ

Visit site
Hi all!

My Jack Russell has snapped her Dew claw, this is the second time in 6 months!

My vet wasn't too keen about having to remove them but said she will do them as they are obviously an issue!

Whats everyone's experiences on this? pro's/con's?

shes had 2 nails pulled off and Jack Russell/Vet relations aren't great!!

{97702}

Visit site
I get this a lot with my greyhounds and lurchers, it’s a real nuisance for them and me

Last time one of the greyhounds had an incident where she partially ripped off one of her front dew claws I spoke to my vet - he was quite laid back about removing it and said it wouldn’t be a difficult procedure for the dog, recovery time wouldn’t be excessive etc

At the time I went for the other option he gave me, which was to debride the claw under sedation - he literally cut it right back to where the claw comes out of the skin. Obviously the dog had a dressing on for about 4 days but she didn’t bother with that at all, the wound was great when I finally took the dressing off and she made a very quick recovery.

If I had a younger dog I would probably opt to have the dew claws removed under anaesthetic, as my hounds who have problems are all the older ones then I would go for option 2 :)

QuobAsti

Visit site
My mum's JR had her dew claws removed at around 6 years old due to her injuring herself
I can't remember it very well as it was approximately 6 years ago, but by all accounts it was done under GA and recovery time wasn't too bad

BallyJ

Visit site
Thanks both!

She's only 3 so i think this is the best option, she now officially despises the vets after having two nails pulled off in the last 6 months!

pippixox

Visit site
if they cause a problem and they don't have other issues that would put them at risk under general just do it!
my GSD had huge rear dew claws and I often saw him nearly rip them, so we got them taken off. he was also being neutered at the same time, so can't remember exact cost, but it was very low compared to having regular vet trips due to pulling them! healed in no time.

BallyJ

Visit site
Just dropped her off! I officially feel awful, but she'll be fine!!

Thanks all for your experiences! Definitely owe her a treat or two :D