Doggy sleeping arrangements - help!

Greylegs

Visit site
We’ve had our adopted staffie/whippet cross for nearly four months now and he’s settling in very well generally. Hes well behaved, affectionate and generally a joy to have around. However, we have made a real rod for our own backs with regard to his sleeping arrangements and I’m in need of some advice.

In short, he insists on sleeping on our bed at all times and will not settle anywhere else. He has a lovely (expensive!!) doggy bed which he won’t stay in, so we replaced that with a folded up duvet and some old pillows which tempted him for a while. But as soon as we settle, he’s back. We have tried shutting him out of the room (he sits on the landing whining for hours on end), shutting him in the kitchen (more whining and scratching the door), repeatedly removing him to his own space during the night (he’s more persistent than me!). I suspect that mostly it’s because he’s cold, so we’ve tried wrapping him up in warm blankets, but he fidgets his way out of them. Not sure where to go now, but I really do need to get some sleep without a dog pushing me out of bed.

A dog cage isn’t an option - he goes hysterical at the sight of one and certainly would never go in one willingly, so not prepared to go there. Any other thoughts or suggestions very gratefully received.

Tinkerbee

Visit site
Where does he sleep/chill out during the day/evening if youre watching tv etc for example?

I would perhaps try crate training, without the crate, teaching him to settle and just chill in/on his bed of an evening, with a kong/chew toy, clicker training etc for just "existing" in his bed. There are some pdfs/ebooks online by Ian Dunbar I think, regarding crate training, but it covers the concept of just settling, outside of a crate as well, I'll see if I can track down the link.

Is he overly distressed when shut out of your room, or just whining? I'd be tempted to try and ride it out with a bedtime kong and then earplugs and ignoring, provided he's not overly distressed that is!

Greylegs

Visit site
Where does he sleep/chill out during the day/evening if youre watching tv etc for example?

I would perhaps try crate training, without the crate, teaching him to settle and just chill in/on his bed of an evening, with a kong/chew toy, clicker training etc for just "existing" in his bed. There are some pdfs/ebooks online by Ian Dunbar I think, regarding crate training, but it covers the concept of just settling, outside of a crate as well, I'll see if I can track down the link.

Is he overly distressed when shut out of your room, or just whining? I'd be tempted to try and ride it out with a bedtime kong and then earplugs and ignoring, provided he's not overly distressed that is!

Thanks for the reply. He just hangs out happily on the floor or the end of the sofa, which we don't mind too much. He has a cage mat type thing (just an oblong of foam covered in fur fabric) which he happily lies on, so might try taking that upstairs. Mr GL says its just because he wants to be with us, which is cute, but annoying when you're being ousted by a dog, or have one using your legs/body as a pillow.

I know we've totally made a rod for our own backs with this and it's up to us to solve it, and we're committed to sorting it out. The dog had terrible separation anxiety when we first got him, although he's getting much better now, and I think that's part of the problem. We're not keen to upset him again, but equally co-sleeping with a 20kg dog isn't great either. Hey, ho ... onwards and upwards.

Leo Walker

Visit site
I have 2 whippets in the bed. I tried for a very long time with the first one but never succeeded. Another one with separating anxiety, who is a total velcro dog. I bought a super king size bed so everyone fits in and just accepted it. I wouldnt be without them now. The youngest slept in the bed from the day we got him and is adorable. He doesnt shove anyone or fidget or fuss, he just gets in and curls up against me. None of which helps you.

We did crate train the youngest one at a few months old, mainly as you never know when they will need to use a crate, and after the first night he was fine with it. If you do it properly crate training is your answer.

Clodagh

Visit site
Teach him to 'go and lie down ' with a sit and stay command to start with. Always use the same bed/rug/towel as a marker for him. Start in the sitting room and while you watch tv he needs to settle down. To start with don't leave the room. Once that is 100% move the marker to the bedroom and make him sleep on that. No more on the bed, although once solid you can relax the rules a bit (if Tawny sleeps in our room she comes in the bed while we have tea).
Firm, consistent, keep it simple. 😊

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
I have had a few clingy rescue dogs who were like this. Understandable when the poor things eventually find themselves living with a caring and loving owner, no wonder they don't want to be away from their new owners for fear they might disappear .

What I always found useful - and found it worked well with new pups too - always leave in their bed, a well worn piece of your own clothing (or clothing from whoever in the house has made the greatest bond with the dog). I do stress the more it is in need of a wash and stinks of you the better lol! also a good idea to just reserve it for bedtime use or when you have to leave him alone during the daytime for any length of time. Good luck!

deb_l222

Visit site
I’ve nothing really useful to add as my dogs are allowed on my bed if they choose but you may find, as yours gets more secure, the need to be THAT close may diminish on its own. On the other hand of course, he may just be exceptionally comfortable and want the bed for the rest of his life!!

The idea of a piece of your clothing in a bed in the bedroom sounds like a workable idea to try.