Dogless and hating it, what breed next ?

zandp

Visit site
Had my dog pts 30 December 2010 and am now over the guilty feeling and most of the emotional upset but the house still feels far too empty and I still look for him.

Anyway - the next dog - OH wanted to get one immediately but I couldn't face it. Now I'm ready but OH's not too sure although does still keep emailing pics of dogs needing homes.

Our dog, Patch, was a rescue, JRT/Staff/Corgi. We'd like another rescue dog but can't agree on breed. We knew nothing about his history and he was very challenging at first and then just settled into being quirky so we're happy to take on most things, about the only thing he didn't do was destroy the house / our belongings.

We both work full time, house is too small for a large dog, OH loves Jack Russells and ideally wants another one. I prefer medium to large dogs but recognise that I've probably lost that battle until we have a bigger house and garden.

We walked Patch for half an hour before work and then about the same after work and then he came to the yard with me where he ran around most of the evening. He always got longer walks at weekends. When he was younger he had a dog walker during the day as well so got half an hour at least then too. Financially that's probably not possible now although we have had 2 friends volunteer to check any dog for us through the day / take them for walks etc - although we're not relying on this offered help.

Is it silly to think that if we get 2 JRT's that would be better because we're both out at work ? There's 2 bitches in our local home atm who came intogether and would be a better option than the other 2 dogs who need rehoming togther - a Lurcher x and a Wolfhound.

I'd be happy with most dogs tbh, OH's more specific in his likes.

SusieT

Visit site
I would be v. wary of leaving two terrier bitches together myself tbh, as they can be prone to having a scrap! Depends I suppose if they have been together all their life, but then they could change if one wants dominance. I agree 2 dogs i probably better than one though!

zandp

Visit site
Thanks, 1 is 2 and 1 is 5 and apparently they've always lived together but that was one of the things worrying me.

I really want a beardie (I'm not at all practical !), or a Lab (OH says house too small). Who am I kidding I just want a dog again.

vieshot

Visit site
I never really consider a house being too small because of the size of the dog. I generally think if any dog gets enough exercise then the living quarters doesnt matter all that much. I mean some dogs live permanantly in a kennel outside but get tonnes of exercise so makes up for it. I actually think something like a labrador would probably suit your lifestyle, they are generally content with somewhere warm to sleep when your at work, a few short walks to keep the weight down and then the rest of the time curled up on the sofa watching tv with you!

zandp

Visit site
Think OH's concerned about turning room, waggy tails knocking stuff off etc, although I could probably sell it with the promise of me being tidier :)

I was hoping to rescue a greyhound but he's said a definite no.

2Greys

Visit site
Shame he said no to a greyhound, they may not be small dogs but they spend most of there time lazing about so you don't seem to notice them much indoors & many aren't really waggy tailed playful types. There are some smaller lurchers/whippet types about too, though depends if its a size issue or that he doesn't like sighthounds.

I think if its a bonded pair that get along well it can make it easier if you know you'd like 2 dogs eventually and its not easy for rescues to find adopters willing to take a pair. That said i've adopted 2 dogs at the same time lol.

zandp

Visit site
He apparently doesn't like the look of them, finds them too thin. I had a vivid dream last night where I was driving past the local shelter by myself, turned in and ended up smuggling lots of greyhounds into the house, hiding them around the place so he didn't find them.

Ranyhyn

Visit site
House size doesn't equal (really) the size dog you can have. A dogs home - its den and bed is really quite inconsequential I think - what matters is the exercise you can give it! Friends of my mum have a MASSIVE and I mean massive Cane Corse in a small top floor apartment! Tito is happy because he's walked appropriately!

I have two jacks, and I would always get two dogs if you are going to be working - that way they have interaction all day long and providing you walk before and after work, will almost surely be happy as larry!

You have a lot of love to give - any dog would be lucky to live with you! :) big or small! x