Dogs and gardens

mollichop

Visit site
On the recent footpath thread, a point was raised re a dog having access to a large garden.

When i'm walking my 2 (big) dogs, people often say to me "ooh you must have a big garden for those 2" :confused: Why? they only want to go out there when I put the washing out :D

I know plenty of people who have what they consider to be a big garden and think it is acceptable to chuck the dogs out there instead of walking them. Erm, your dog has been sitting at your back door for the last half an hour wanting to come in! :rolleyes:

So, how often do your dogs spend in your gardens? Do you see it as an alternative to a walk on occasion?

Spudlet

Visit site
None whatsoever - I never use my backyard except as a wood store or general dumping ground, oh and occasional area for hosing him off, so I guess he does spend a little time out there. It's too small to do any useful training in (and currently too overgrown anyway!). It is never an alternative to a walk - it may be additional to a walk, but never instead of, not for a healthy dog. That is only a route for lazy people, IMO.

galaxy

Visit site
Harley goes out there purely to sunbathe!!!

We have trained him not to use it as a toilet (my OH is a bit lawn obsessed) and there is no way a breed such as a GSP could get enough exercise in any garden!!

As long as the garden was a suntrap and was big enough for him to flop out H would be happy! ;)

mollichop

Visit site
Ooh yes, they are partial to a spot of sunbathing but I don't have grass, only pation and decking so I put their duvet in the shade and they'll stay there if i'm out too.

Oh and I also use it for lobbing anything raw that I don't want dragged about the utility - usually tripe - bleurgh! :D

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
We don't really have a garden as such, two small runs and one big one and it is never used as 'exercise' - I do refer to the big one as an 'exercise pen' but if I look outside now, I can see the big dog lying in the same corner as he always does :p

conkers

Visit site
Mine has constant access to the garden in good weather. She likes to sun bathe and play in her paddling pool.
But she still gets the same amount of walks as she does in the winter (apart from at the weekend when it was just too warm for her). She would not be happy if all she got to do was run round the garden.

Vizslak

Visit site
As you know I have four dogs, my garden now isnt very big (its not really tiny though) and the dogs dont spend an awful lot of time out there. They were out there all yesterday afternoon with me as I was out there doing stuff and they do like sunbathing. They are used to pretty much constant access to a garden, at the old house they were out an awful lot but they have had to adapt at this house as the neighbours dog comes up and has a go through the gate at them so I dont trust them out on their own for long. They use it to go to the toilet etc and it is big enough to do a bit of training and have a bit of a play. Its an edition to walking though not an instead of. The old house had a massive garden they played in all day but they were still walked (although granted I do probably walk them further now and am more reluctant to skip a walk now they dont have lots of garden play time)

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
I don't have a garden at all. :eek:

I would love to have one, they enjoy pratting about in the MIL's precious vegetable garden on their weekly visit, but I wouldn't (couldn't!) ever walk them less for it.

quirky

Visit site
I can't imagine not having a garden and wouldn't have a dog if I didn't have one.

The Pointers have a dog flap and have 24hr access to the garden. They had one for years, then we replaced back door and didn't put another one in. Due to them barking in the night to be let out for a toilet, we put another one in. I still hear them crashing in and out of it though. If we didn't have a garden, I'd have to whip them out in the middle of the night (more than once) to do their business :eek:, that would just be unmanageable!

IG has access when I am at home, which is most of the day :). He is crated at night and when I'm not here, so can't access dog flap.

mollichop

Visit site
Lol quirky, I do wander down to the field at the back of my garden (not mine, just an enclosed bit of grass waste land) at night. Their last pit stop is around midnight, then out for 1st walk at 6am :D

I actually enjoy it and as neither of mine toilet in the garden (unless tummy trouble :eek:), it's just something we do.

SusieT

Visit site
I find dogs have a greatly enhance life with a garden. IT gives them somewhere to have a mad half hour, and yes, somewhere to put the dog if they need to be out of the way forwhatever reason (or they have projectile vomiting!). For pups for house training essential imo for pups to get the hang of it and for me concrete doesn't cut it.
If it's an alternative between being a rescue dog stuck in a kennel at a rescue centre, or being in a house with no garden and at least 3 daily walks plus toilet breaks I suppose it's probably a better alternative but still not ideal. Mine all enjoy going and potteing around the garden, but then they are used to having one and not conditioned to the idea of only being outside with a human, which is a sad way for a dog to be.

Cop-Pop

Visit site
I used to have a large garden and Yellow Dog loved being out in it when I was out there but otherwise apart from popping out for a wee he wasnt fussed. When I split from my ex and moved to a top floor flat I felt awful about having him there so tried to leave him at my parents. Was a total disaster - he was miserable, lost weight, chewed his paws etc so he came back to live with me. He doesn't seem to miss not having a garden - he has access to one during weekdays when hes at mums while I'm at work but evenings and weekends we go to the park or teh yard. Tbh he's quite happy crossing his legs if it means he gets extra time in bed :rolleyes:

Toffee44

Visit site
Have about 1/4 acre door always open they eat our there, Poo out there but clean daily. Suppose bonus is Teal and Dylan have mad 5 minutes of jumping on each other I can chuck them out.

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
I think I should add at this point that even if we did have a garden they would have to be supervised at all times whilst in it anyway - a standard 6ft wood panel fence is nothing to these guys.

They have their first walk at 7.15am and the last at 11pm plus three proper walks during the day.

The first rental property I find that's even vaguely near our budget, will accept two large dogs and has a securely fenced garden I will take but in the meantime they don't do too badly at all. :)

ladyt25

Visit site
In nice weather our dogs (at my parents) are usually able to go out in the garden. However, our old dog has to go out on a chain as he has a tendency to go a wandering and likes to visit the neighbours - the garden is not secure. He still occasionally wanders but usually out the back garden as this backs on to a field (albeit he has to crawl under the stock fence to get out! He goes to see his 'buddy' who lives at the top of the field and then will do the rounds and trot back down the lane visiting neighbours as he goes. He has always done this if he has had the chance to sneak off. Thankfully we live in a rural area but without narrow, fast country lanes so hardly any traffic at all as no cut throughs to anywhere.

Our other dog will not leave the confines of the garden (well behaved dog she is!) and what she likes best is to grab toys from her 'toybox' and run down the hall and out the patios doors to then throw herself on the garden and roll down with chosen toy in her mouth! She can amuse herself for ages! Lol

They do not go to the toilet (other than the odd wee) on the garden as they are walked 3 times a day and in fact the older dog will NEVER foul his own garden unless he is poorly and has not been able to help it.

lexiedhb

Visit site
Yes I have a garden- yes it is big enough to chuck a ball around in, and is now currently sporting an agility set!!! :)
I like having a garden for him, as it means he can have off lead play time that he can not have out on walks.
He could not be left out there alone though as there is one small point in the fencing- by steps, that if he thought about it long enough he could jump into next door. He sniffs about in it- buries stuff in it, sunbathes in it, and goes to the loo in it etc etc

I admire those responsible owners who do not have the luxury of a garden- means much more work for them with toilet breaks, walks etc, but no it does not provide the same level of exercise that the 1.5-2 hrs of walks gives him, and has and will never be used instead of a walk.

jsr

Visit site
I have the smallest garden in the world...I'd call it a yard if it didn't have grass!! I have 6 dogs..and generally the garden is used for poop, wee and more often than not...

25620_387477241535_707441535_4442981_6534465_n.jpg

My garden is not there as a place to exercise my dogs...I've got beaches, cliff tops, parklands and forests for that. ;)

My first dog I adopted when I didn't have a garden and since then I've been allowed many other rescue dogs, some houses I've had tiny gardens, 1 I had 20 acres...but as my dogs are walked twice a day come what may it really doesn't matter to me or them how big the garden is, most times they are found on the sofa anyway!:rolleyes:

mollichop

Visit site
but as my dogs are walked twice a day come what may it really doesn't matter to me or them how big the garden is, most times they are found on the sofa anyway!:rolleyes:

Think this just about sums it up! :D

And Yay, there is my favorite curly mopped little man! :D

Spudlet

Visit site
JSR, they look so content and you get sunshine in your backyard, that is so jammy! Mine is in permanent shade:( So we have to do our sunbathing sitting on the front step with a cuppa (classy;):D)

MurphysMinder

Visit site
I have a reasonable sized garden, Evie will spent time patrolling the hedge keeping rabbits at bay, but more often than not they only go out there when I do. At the moment the back door is open and both dogs are lying in the kitchen with me. I once sold a pup to a lady in London who lived in a flat with no garden, but she did own an allotment about quarter of a mile away. That dog had the most amazing life, as she went everywhere with her owner, far preferable in my opinion to someone who has a large garden but spends the minimum of time with their dog.

jsr

Visit site
JSR, they look so content and you get sunshine in your backyard, that is so jammy! Mine is in permanent shade:( So we have to do our sunbathing sitting on the front step with a cuppa (classy;):D)

It's a little sun trap...Cooper the staffie x follows the sun around, he's a total sun worshipper I have to force him inside sometimes cos he over heats! It's honestly the smallest garden ever but does the job, I'm selling the house right now and everyone keeps saying oh bet you need a huge garden? But it's the last thing on my list, as long as I have a secure garden and a room that the dogs can call their own then I'm happy.

In my years of helping out rescues I've rehomed to many a place with small gardens, or non at all. As has been said a garden isn't what a dog needs it's regular exercise and stimulation.

Last edited:

millitiger

Visit site
Our 2 dogs use the garden a lot.

Daisy likes to sunbathe mostly, while Boris enjoys playing fetch in the garden between walks or pootling around the trees and in the flower beds, following animal scents etc.

Daisy would be fine without a garden as long as she had somewhere to sunbathe, Boris really couldn't do without a garden I don't think.

(they are both walked for over an hour twice a day as well)

CAYLA

Visit site
I have a large garden (lawned) with kennels at top and cattery at the other end, and a seperate secure patio area right near the house, my doggy room (was garage) is open randomly throughout the day for we/pooh breaks between walks or early morning/lat night wee/poohs, we dont let the dogs do business on the garden (lawn) (except bubba) who wont do her business in her kennel so her door is left open and she lies under the conifers all day (especially now she is broke) and cannot go for walks for a good while.:(

Other than that the dogs have frequent access to do business on patio (any business) that needs doing inbetween walks, (I have dogs boarding too) they have differnet toilet habits to mine, and this way I can hose the patio off (more hygenic).
If doors are left open, no dogs will stay out they all retreat back to their beds, except bubba who prefers to stay out and be alone (thats an akita for ya):p

soloabe

Visit site
We have a garden at home and work.
Door is open all day but they never ever use it.
They get enough stimulation during day that they are happy to sleep the rest of the time.

Solo1

Visit site
I think I must be neglectful, I shove them out in the garden instead of a walk, however, my 'garden' is what could be called a 2 acre field with trees and a small pond, dogs gallivant around, go swimming, scenting, lying in sun or shade and both are small enough to pop through cat flap and come inside if they want. However they spend most of their time outside and come in for food and an occassional fuss, then go haring off before returning at night completely exhausted :p

Dobiegirl

Visit site
I have a large lawned garden with herbacious borders which my dogs trashed when they arrived last July. They are always in the garden with me when im out there but only go out there for a short while unsupervised for toilet breaks. My dogs get 2-3 walks a day and they would feel short changed if the garden was their only form of exercise.

I also use it for training but it is not fully dog proof as it is visited regularly by foxes and badgers and its impossible t keep them out.

If I lived in a flat with no garden my dogs would not be deprived they might not get the chance to sunbathe but they like others are sofa dogs.

So I think a garden or lack of one is no deprivatation(is that a word?) to the majority of dogs on this forum.

whisp&willow

Visit site
we have a fair sized garden... but its not big enough to exersise a dog in! Betty spends a lot of time in the garden, as she is kenneled out there during the day while im out at work...

however she only spends time in the garden proper when i am out there- hanging out washing, sun bathing on nice days (2 per anum) or having a play with tug toys. she is never unsupervised... dont have a 6 ft fence yet!

also she doesnt use the garden to go no.2!! so there is no escaping the walk! she'd drive me round the bend if not walked!! :p

Luci07

Visit site
I have a decent sized garden but think of it as an addition not replacement. Mine use it for their loo breaks and I have the lovely task of poo picking first thing in the morning. If I am working at home, back doors are left open and they can wander in and out at their pleasure. Garden is fully staffie proofed though but I would still not leave them to wander in and out unless I am there.

On sunny days, the older bitch sunbathes, younger dog prefers to go back to bed (mine) till time for his next walk..

They do however, also get a hooley around the yard when I am not riding and spend a vast amount of energy greeting all "their" people (other liveries, dogs and staff). Its funny when younger boy staffie has to choose as to whom he says hello to first...