dogs and stupid owners out jogging, grrrr

ozpoz

Visit site
I'm fuming...
B****y beardie collie off lead, came straight for my horse, jumping up and snarling at him. Soo lucky it wasn't kicked and we both seem ok.
What is the point of going running with your dog off lead if you don't have any recall??
They had plenty of time to get hold of it and I had moved off the track to give them a wide berth but the were too busy keeping their jogging rhythm to get hold of it in time.
I'm not the first person in the area who has had this particular dog attack their horse - and it meant business.
I took a swing at it with my whip, swearing coherently,but missed, as Oz was dancing around trying to keep his legs out of the way.
I can only think sweary words right now.

Boxers

Visit site
If the same dog has done this before could you report to the local dog warden or PCSO?

Did you get a chance to soeak to the owner? Frustrating if not.

Glad you are ok though.

ozpoz

Visit site
We are too rural for a dog warden.. The owner apologised ,as she jogged off, and I didn't feel like hanging around,tbh, just wanted to put as much distance between the dog and my horse as possible.
But I will activate the local grapevine,and hopefully she'll get the message.

Dubsie

Visit site
Have you tried riding your horse at the dog? I'm more-or-less a non rider and happened across a yappy husky when I happened to be sitting on my daughter's NF, he is a bit of a 'takes the lead from his rider' so I kicked him on firmly towards the dog (much to the pony's surprise I think - and he obeyed much to my surprise!) and the yappy dog turned tail and scarpered.

Barnacle

Visit site
Dubsie's right - if your horse is up to it, moving towards the dog will almost always freak them out - and maybe the owner too.

I cannot stand joggers who think it's ok to just jog past with their dog. I've been shouted at by dog walkers for trotting by on a bridleway (I trotted by because I thought they wanted me out of the way and thought I was being nice!) and yet there they all are running past with their dogs - on and off the lead - on a bridleway specifically meant for horses where they absolutely should have their dog under control and on a lead... The danger to a rider is so much greater - I've had several horses bolt because of a dog and one bolted down quite a treacherous path because of a jogger with a dog. The double standard infuriates me. I love dogs but I really cannot stand the entitlement of some dog owners.

Saying that, I would hate for the dog to be put down as dangerous so I'd be more inclined to spread the word or confront the owner than go to authorities.

Passtheshampoo

Visit site
Please report this attack to the Police and especially the BHS (can do this online). I had a collie jump over a wall and attack my horse last August. She ended up on wrong side of road on a blind bend and only just managed to keep her feet on a tarmac road. Really shook both me and my mare up. She's only just getting back to her usual self now after the attack. The Police called round to the dog owner and told her this must not happen again. The only way we can get a change in the law is if we report these type of attacks, lets face it they can have catastrophic outcomes and dog owners just don't seem to be aware of how quickly things can go wrong.

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
Glad you are both ok. I agree if you can ride at the dog. My guy will happily tromp over a dog should I allow him to, he actively goes for dogs who come into his field and I've never reprimanded him for it even tho it's s pain when o had my own dogs.

The only people that learn are those left with a vets bill or body and that's already too late for the dog imo.

3OldPonies

Visit site
Glad that you are both OK OP.

I'm only just starting to ride out again as am still working on my confidence and this is the sort of thing that even thinking about can get me into a state of such nerves that it's off back in the school again :(

I'm also sure that this is a problem that is getting worse. I seem to find myself time and again having the same 'conversations' with dog owners about keeping them on a lead, this year it seems to be a never ending conversation - the same thing every weekend with a different owner. The dogs get into my field (crossed by a footpath that is electric fenced) and chase my ponies, the birds and then poop all over the place given half a chance. It just infuriates me that the owners see no wrong in Rover mooching all over everyone else's property and causing trouble for others going about their normal business. The same goes for horses out hacking - why should we have to put up with scared horses, being scared ourselves and worse case with enormous vets bills just because some tw*t thinks it's OK for their dog to be totally undisciplined just because it needs exercise. We don't let our horses run amok, so why is it OK for a dog to do it?

Sorry rant over - I know I'm only saying what you guys already know! I just needed to let of steam.

Please OP report them, it will only be when the Police get fed up with it that anything will be done. And if you making report gets them to go and see the owner, then perhaps that owner will spread the word amongst friends that they've been cautioned and it could make others think twice before letting their dear little bundle of fluff go chasing horses.

ozpoz

Visit site
I will report it to the BHS.
I might have ridden towards it,if it hadn't morphed into full wolf mode - it really did mean business.
That would have meant being on a little humpy stone bridge with a sizeable drop each side, which Ozzie reckons is a hazard anyway, due to the ducks and heron once, flying out as we passed. : )
He's fine today, a tad shorty but it is Spring.
Don't worry 3oldponies - this really was an unusual dog!