Dogs ate acp

traceyann

Visit site
Vet came this morning so i had to sedate spanish horse otherwise vet wont go near him otherwise so got my acp out gave horse 7 Acp dropped one on the floor dog ate before i got chance to pick it up within 10 mins dog fell on the floor lucky vet was there he says the dog will sleep upto two days has anyone else dog eaten one of these. Iv got to look incase he get kidney faliure as some do Im a bit worried as he looks like hes in a coma.

Jesstickle

Visit site
if you're feeding tablets they're designed for dogs anyway I think.

Tabs aren't licensed for horses anymore, you have to buy the paste under the name sedalin.

Brownmare

Visit site
I was given acp tabs by a vet a few years ago to sedate a highly strung Belgian shepherd dog for a ferry crossing. From memory he had at least 3 tablets and it had no effect on him until we got off the ferry at which point he fell asleep for about 6 hours! Was perfectly fine though :)

traceyann

Visit site
Are horse acp stronger per tablet than a dogs though not sure or are they the same vet dosent seem to concerned but i have to check his gums all the time hes out of it at the moment.

smellsofhorse

Visit site
Hope dog is ok, I wouldn't have thought it would java had such a big impact after 1 tablet but u suppose if you compare the size of a horse and a dog.

Will the dog needs tests after to confirm liver etc is all ok?

Jesstickle

Visit site
Are horse acp stronger per tablet than a dogs though not sure or are they the same vet dosent seem to concerned but i have to check his gums all the time hes out of it at the moment.

horse acp in tablet form does not exist any more and hasn't for years. So unless you've been hoarding them it can only have been meant for a dog anyway. Infact, it may be that it never existed. What I do know is that any ACP tablet you have now is NOT made for horses and is made for dogs instead :)

Murphy88

Visit site
Do you know what dosage the tablets were? As jesstickle says, acp for horses is now in the form of sedalin, so unless they were old tablets you were presumably using dog-strength tablets anyway. How big is the dog? You can give up to 3mg/kg ACP in tablet form, so unless it is a very small dog and the higher dose tablet (25mg) then I would just monitor him but I wouldn't be too concerned.

traceyann

Visit site
I must confess iv had these tablets four years got quite a stash my cob was on box rest and insurance paid for them at the time i have about 5 bottles of them

Ladyinred

Visit site
I must confess iv had these tablets four years got quite a stash my cob was on box rest and insurance paid for them at the time i have about 5 bottles of them

They have a shelf life same as anything else. I do know someone who lost her dog after giving him very out of date worming tablets.

Last edited:

traceyann

Visit site
Dogs alot better this morning hes awake still a bit stoned in the eyes but i think he had a good night sleep. I carried him out for a wee bless him cocked his leg and fell over but hes ok.Now on be a lot more carefull I know i shouldnt have these still but sedalin dosent work for my horse

sandi_84

Visit site
I carried him out for a wee bless him cocked his leg and fell over but hes ok.

Aw poor boy! Glad he's better tho! I remember when we had ours spayed, she was a right mess for about a day while the sedatives wore off, felt quite sorry for her but I couldn't help but have a wee giggle when she wobbled about almost falling over :D I'm a bad mum! :rolleyes:

tessah

Visit site
The acp tabs which are NOT licensed for use in horses would most likely be strength 25mg

Most vets would not dispense or use this strength for dogs but they would use 10mg tablets

Hence why your dog may have had a large overdose
Glad he's feeling better although would be worth speaking to ur small animal vet for advice :)