Dogs being stolen even with owners present

CAYLA

Visit site
I just read on facebook near to me that a gentleman had a knife pulled on him and his shepherd puppy taken. I know stealing dogs to order is on the increase but now taking them from the owner in this kind of manner! what would you do? can other dogs owners do to protect their dogs?

I dont (rarely) actually walk on my own as OH is always there with me and I stick to the same walks, one is a field.
Is it worth carrying a rape alarm or (pity pepper spray cannot be bought)

Anyone else hearing horror stories like this? when rehoming as stupid as it sounds I always drum in the never leave a dog outside the shop/alone and I do put the horrors into folk about letting children walk dogs for fear they could be stolen, you hope an adult stands a better chance of protecting their dogs:.

Last edited:

dingle12

Visit site
A GSP has been stolen 5 min away from me called angel it's on doglost, also a van nearly got another dog very near to the same spot. Last year I had a van pull up next to me asking if my little dog was male I said yes castrated they then drove off best thing is I saw the van following me and turn round and sadly they are known round here as travellers from Wakefield.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
What would I do, I would say one word and pray that he isn't just equipment-obsessed :p

Hey, but if you're just carrying a tin of of Impulse or Elnett, what's illegal about that?! Kinda itchy on the eyes.

HeatherAnn

Visit site
Doubt anyone would want mine. He's not really the "type" that people want round here, however close to me a Rottweiler and Husky were stolen from a garden and the Husky has been found dead :(

My aunty has also given me "rape spray".

http://www.ioffer.com/i/dyewitness-criminal-identifier-for-personal-protection-7377812

The DYEWitnessTM Criminal Identifier is a powerful, aqua-foam solution that temporarily blocks vision to stop a potential attack and dyes the skin green for up to eight days to assist in the identification, arrest and prosecution of the perpetrator.

DYEWitnessTM is fast, effective, practical and discreet. The FDA-approved solution contains no harmful chemicals, is non-toxic, requires no permits, and is legal in all 50 states!

Not sure if it is still available in the UK though...

s4sugar

Visit site
Anything designed for the purpose could be considered an offensive weapon.

Smelly sprays, hair spray or (if around the horses) purple spray are not designed to harm anyone & legal to carry.

stargirl88

Visit site
I've been hearing alot of stuff like this in my area. No knives though, yet.

I think I am going to start keeping a spray bottle of something in my bag...

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
I've just seen a story posted on FB about an Australian Shepherd pup being stolen N Yorks yesterday after a knife was held to the owner's throat.

Just wondering if it might be a viral FB thing? Or a genuine spate of similar robberies.