Dogs eating hoof clippings ?

Shysmum

www.youtube.com
I sweep and sweep, get down on my hands and knees to make sure I've got every last scrap up. Then put disinfectant down and rinse the whole area, to get rid of the smell of clippings. Farrier gone, my dogs are round there like a rat up a drain pipe. Today they didn't find anything..amazing how they know the farriers been by seeing his van out the window ?

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
Mine love eating bits of hoof and its never harmed them.
I suppose its only like chewing a bone....they nibble rather than swallow so no danger of choking.

I own labradors - they have never heard of the concept of nibbling. Mouth down, throw head back inhale with maybe one or two half hearted chews to help shove it down beyond escape before I can grab it off them. Couple of hours later huge pile of vomit in the house containing large sharp ended pieces of horse hoof in the same condition they were when they came off the hoof! :eek::D

eggs

Visit site
I own labradors - they have never heard of the concept of nibbling. Mouth down, throw head back inhale with maybe one or two half hearted chews to help shove it down beyond escape before I can grab it off them. Couple of hours later huge pile of vomit in the house containing large sharp ended pieces of horse hoof in the same condition they were when they came off the hoof! :eek::D

Yup, same problem with my labrador. He is on the raw diet so is quite used to having raw bones and these do not re-appear as a pile of vomit.

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
My last lurcher ended up with 2 puncture wounds in the back of her throat and a laceration along the length of the underside of her tongue.
The puncture wounds were massively infected all from the hoof trimmings.

Yes that is my fear with letting them eat them - I nearly lost a collie years back when she grabbed a small very sharp pointy stick (You know just like those bits of hoof clippings ;)) and it punctured her esophagus. she was very poorly and had to be operated on to repair the tear and was in doggy ICU for several days - both sticks and hoof clipping are off the menu for all of mine ever since....until the damn labradors manage to find the one piece you missed in the after farrier clean up.

Nicnac

Visit site
I feed my dogs the chestnuts when I twist them off. Hoof trimmings I always try and get rid of but they tend to find a bit and it makes them fart something awful.....

oldie48

Visit site
All of my BTs have gone mad when they heard the farrier arrive but I am so careful to clear the clippings up. Our first BT got a piece stuck across his throat, thank goodness I was there to stuff my hand down his throat to retrieve it as he was struggling to breathe. Scary!

Nudibranch

Visit site
I never thought it was an issue. Farriers always chucked the trimmings to the dogs. Until my dachshund ended up in hospital. Luckily he was ok in the end, and I had insurance. I'm much more careful about it these days.

Spottyappy

Visit site
My OH is a farriers, so always brings trimmings back.
Our dog loves frogs when he nips them back. ?
When she has finished, She, always saves abit which she then burys,usually in someone’s bed. They stink....

paddy555

Visit site
I never thought it was an issue. Farriers always chucked the trimmings to the dogs. Until my dachshund ended up in hospital. Luckily he was ok in the end, and I had insurance. I'm much more careful about it these days.

it is absolutely an issue and there have been several warnings about it before. Many years a farrier chucked the trimmings at his own dog, perforated the gut, dead dog. Cannot remember where it was, East Devon comes to mind. However from that minute onwards I never let my dogs near them.

glad your dog was OK.