Dogs in the heat

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Horrifyingly I went to get the bins in this afternoon and took T with me, we walked past a neighbour who was in a large paddling pool with his new and shiny lady friend (both lovely people, both large, and both almost nekkid) and kersplosh they had a labrador in the pool with them. Drinks knocked over and drowning pig noises (that's T, she gets over excited in water). So embarassed, she would not get out for ages and we are now at home recovering from the mortification.

OH dear lord, and I thought Brig was bad stealing little kid's picnics and then fisherman's sweet corn! I would have paid serious money to see that!

dogatemysalad

Visit site
Horrifyingly I went to get the bins in this afternoon and took T with me, we walked past a neighbour who was in a large paddling pool with his new and shiny lady friend (both lovely people, both large, and both almost nekkid) and kersplosh they had a labrador in the pool with them. Drinks knocked over and drowning pig noises (that's T, she gets over excited in water). So embarassed, she would not get out for ages and we are now at home recovering from the mortification.

I just can't stop laughing now. Just wish there were photos...

GSD Woman

Visit site
I was reading today about the heatwave the UK and most of Europe is having. It sounds beyond horrible. At least here, central Virginia, 100 miles from Washington D.C., most of us have some sort or air conditioning. Our summers tend to be hot, in the 90s F really humid which makes it worse. Yesterday and today have been lovely, mid 80s F and low humidity. The dogs were even able to play some serious tennis ball this evening. That should end by this weekend.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Yep, the usual amount of fat, heavy-coated, un-groomed, flat faced dogs who I never see, getting trailed around the place, blowing out of their arses.
Owned by people who never normally walk the length of themselves.

Unbelievably I saw such a scenario in my local town at 12 noon yesterday.

FFS!

joosie

Visit site
There's a post by some vet surgery on FB saying you shouldn't walk your dog when it's above 19 degrees. Apparently that is RSPCA advice.

dogatemysalad

Visit site
There's a post by some vet surgery on FB saying you shouldn't walk your dog when it's above 19 degrees. Apparently that is RSPCA advice.

That seems a bit OTT. That would mean dogs across the world would never have a walk during the summer months.
Only elderly frail or obese, unfit dogs would struggle with temperatures at 19c.
I'd agree that it's best to walk during the coolest time of the day, but our dogs go fell walking all day and cope as well as we do.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
I think a bit of balance is required, dogs on the continent or in the USA seem to cope ok (within reason) with 19 or equivalent in Fahrenheit.
The high teens and 20s aren't unusual in the UK. I waited til 9pm last night and it was still between 19-21.

CrazyMare

Visit site
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Lucky stayed here for a good 10 hours....

Visit site
Woke up to a trail of diarrhoea in the conservatory this morning, at least it was not on the carpet as usual.Both dogs very loose today. probably due to the heat. little corgi x border collie has a very thick coat. Unfortunately neither of them likes water so difficult to get them cool. Tried draping a wet towel over them but they were scared!

dogatemysalad

Visit site
Woke up to a trail of diarrhoea in the conservatory this morning, at least it was not on the carpet as usual.Both dogs very loose today. probably due to the heat. little corgi x border collie has a very thick coat. Unfortunately neither of them likes water so difficult to get them cool. Tried draping a wet towel over them but they were scared!
Mine don't appreciate the wet towel treatment either, nor will they join me in the paddling pool. I dont understand their logic when theyre quite happy to lie down in icy streams and tarns in the winter.

MyBoyChe

Visit site
1 of my spaniels is happy to lie under a wet towel, in fact yesterday afternoon I think he slept for about 2 hours with several towel changes!! The other spaniel and the jrt arent so keen, I managed to get the spaniel to join me on our tiled floor and sit on a wet towel for a while whilst we live streamed Hickstead. The terrierist was more challenging, hes a funny little soul but did seem a bit scared by it. I eventually managed to get him to sit for a while with a towel draped over him, nose to tail. As soon as I took it off he proceeded to shake his coat as if he was absolutely soaking wet then run round the lawn, rolling and trying to get dry. I also find a garden mister spray bottle quite useful, I just randomly spray it into the air and some of the droplets hit the dogs, they all like that, as do I :)

Aru

Visit site
19 degrees limit would mean my dog could never leave the house during the day all year round where I am lol!We sit in the 20's all year round(queensland, Australia-its blissful weather versus Ireland!) Shes double coated fluffy breed and il only stop running her above 26 to 30(depends on humidity)
With these things its usually more a play it by ear situation. dont expect a dog to be able for normal levels of activity when its hotter then average. Take care with the old young and unfit. Walk in the cooler times of day and dont let them overdo it in the height of the sunshine and you should be fine...well unless they are brachy breeds because then all normal rules go out the window because their faces just want them to die...

meleeka

Visit site
Mine has spent this week laying on her cool mat as has been more comfortable than me. I didn’t know if it was just a gimmick but it appears to be working well.

paisley

Visit site
Surpisingly, the labrador declined to get in the paddling pool. Until we chucked a handful of his biscuits in, and then it was a whole new game called 'Bobbing for Biscuits' with full head immersion!

dogatemysalad

Visit site
Surpisingly, the labrador declined to get in the paddling pool. Until we chucked a handful of his biscuits in, and then it was a whole new game called 'Bobbing for Biscuits' with full head immersion!

That's so funny. When the kids were young, we had a collie x lab who thought he was one of the children. They taught him to paddle board in the paddling pool.

joosie

Visit site
That seems a bit OTT. That would mean dogs across the world would never have a walk during the summer months.
Only elderly frail or obese, unfit dogs would struggle with temperatures at 19c.
I'd agree that it's best to walk during the coolest time of the day, but our dogs go fell walking all day and cope as well as we do.
I think a bit of balance is required, dogs on the continent or in the USA seem to cope ok (within reason) with 19 or equivalent in Fahrenheit.
The high teens and 20s aren't unusual in the UK. I waited til 9pm last night and it was still between 19-21.
19 degrees limit would mean my dog could never leave the house during the day all year round where I am

Well yes, quite. I said similar things on that FB post, and got shot down in flames. I stopped reading after I'd been accused of animal abuse :rolleyes:

Clodagh

Visit site
Think of the dogs working on the moors come August, they are fit and well looked after and seem to cope fine. Speaking to people up there they say some dogs cope with heat better than others (even within the same breed) and they pick and choose who and when to work them.

I now have to avoid the neighbour's front garden at all costs, which necessitates a large diversion to avoid him. Tawny feels no shame and is in fact quite keen to revisit.

scats

Visit site
My dogs have been going out early and late. My Great Dane x Husky has an awful habit of lying in the heat of the sun til she almost bakes. She’s a complete sun worshipper and always has been- she’ll seek out any bit of sun and lie there for hours, regardless of the heat. We’ve had to practically drag her into the shade this week as she was quite content on cooking herself in the garden!
Little dog is black and hates the heat.

Peter7917

Visit site
Just to let you know, I took the dogs out riding this morning at 5.30am. I was cold. My hands were so chilly that I wished I had my gloves!!