‘Dominant arm/hand’ when riding-what can I do about it?

Ben2684

Visit site
I have been schooling and riding my horse now for a year and a bit, and he struggles on the left rein. I also tend to ‘fix’ my left arm/hand more than my right so he is lovely and confident in the outside rein when on the right rein but I really really struggle to get a consistent contact on the left rein. He struggles, which makes it harder for me and therefore it all ends up going a bit wrong. Sometimes we get it sometimes we don’t. Can anyone suggest any exercises/aids/solutions to ensuring you have an even contact with both arms/hands?

I may not have explained myself very well 😂😂

Rumtytum

Have Marmite, will travel
Visit site
You've explained yourself very well, I recignise everything you've said, I'm just the same and it's my left hand/arm too. So I'm sorry I can't help but will be reading the posts and advice with interest.

Ben2684

Visit site
You've explained yourself very well, I recignise everything you've said, I'm just the same and it's my left hand/arm too. So I'm sorry I can't help but will be reading the posts and advice with interest.

It’s so frustrating isn’t it!!!! Sometimes it works and everything is great, and then sometimes it’s just such a struggle, I feel like he’s asking me for confidence in the contact that I can’t give!

Annieryan

Visit site
I’m very left sided and everything seems fine when I ride (left handed) then when my sister rides occasionally she really struggles with the left as she’s right handed! I’d love to know how to make myself more equal!!

Rumtytum

Visit site
It is so frustrating! My instructor says it's quite common that however 'handed' you are is the best hand - as you've noticed with you and your friend Annieryan. Had some videos taken last week, really quite depressing, fine on a straight line and the right rein, all over the place mostly on the left rein as horse is stiffer on that side too. Grrrr

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I think with this kind of one sidedness it's more helpful to think about what the weak side is doing and become more aware of that. So if you know your right arm is strong, give more attention to the left arm and what you are doing with that. After all, the strong side will take care of itself to some extent while you become more even. Try and give & retake occasionally on the strong side so you refresh the contact.

Also have a think about the other activities you do regularly and whether they reinforce the asymmetry. How do you sit in the car, for example? I had a left hand that tended to come back/down and I noticed that I was not sitting straight in the car, i tended to rest my left arm on the gear stick, so I was reinforcing that posture when driving. sitting at a desk, standing with one hip hitched, carrying handbag on one shoulder etc might also reinforce habits. Every little helps ;)

Mule

Visit site
I'm stronger with my left hand too. Don't know why, seeing as I'm right-handed. Now that I'm aware of it, I just make sure to hold my left rein with less pressure than the right. Even though it feels lighter, in reality the pressure on both reins are the same.

I have no ideas about any exercises to fix it. I find being aware of it is enough

Tronk

Visit site
I’m very dominant with my left hand. Two ways I’ve been taught to conquer it - either hold left rein with two or one finger as pp suggested, or turn your hand over and ride with rein between thumb and forefinger.

BBP

Visit site
Sometimes I think that rather than it being an excess of strength in one hand it’s actually a lack of coordination in that hand. So for me, being right handed, it’s easier for me to get a soft elastic feel in the right hand/arm because it’s motor skills are pretty good. My left arm tends to fix because it’s motor skills aren’t so refined so it’s easier for it to lock and not move than have any real feel. So I tried to improve my motor skills in my left side. I tried to brush my teeth left handed and my hair, to use the mouse left handed on my computer, to occasionally write notes left handed. I think it has helped! It’s all about improving the connection between brain and hand, rather than strength (as if I press weights overhead my right arm is certainly stronger). My theory goes out of the window if you are fixed on the same side as your writing hand!

Mule

Visit site
Sometimes I think that rather than it being an excess of strength in one hand it’s actually a lack of coordination in that hand. So for me, being right handed, it’s easier for me to get a soft elastic feel in the right hand/arm because it’s motor skills are pretty good. My left arm tends to fix because it’s motor skills aren’t so refined so it’s easier for it to lock and not move than have any real feel. So I tried to improve my motor skills in my left side. I tried to brush my teeth left handed and my hair, to use the mouse left handed on my computer, to occasionally write notes left handed. I think it has helped! It’s all about improving the connection between brain and hand, rather than strength (as if I press weights overhead my right arm is certainly stronger). My theory goes out of the window if you are fixed on the same side as your writing hand!

That's quite clever. It makes sense that it would be coordination.

Rumtytum

Visit site
I think with this kind of one sidedness it's more helpful to think about what the weak side is doing and become more aware of that. So if you know your right arm is strong, give more attention to the left arm and what you are doing with that. After all, the strong side will take care of itself to some extent while you become more even. Try and give & retake occasionally on the strong side so you refresh the contact.

Also have a think about the other activities you do regularly and whether they reinforce the asymmetry. How do you sit in the car, for example? I had a left hand that tended to come back/down and I noticed that I was not sitting straight in the car, i tended to rest my left arm on the gear stick, so I was reinforcing that posture when driving. sitting at a desk, standing with one hip hitched, carrying handbag on one shoulder etc might also reinforce habits. Every little helps ;)
Thanks very much milliepops I will definitely try this and make myself more more aware of what my left hand is doing. I'm a rester on the gear stick when driving! Sorry Ben2684, I realise this is your post but I have a real interest and need the advice!

BBP

Visit site
That's quite clever. It makes sense that it would be coordination.

I have my moments 😄 It’s certainly correct for me, perhaps not for everyone. Try brushing your teeth with your left hand tonight, if you find that awkward compared to the right hand then why would your left hand find the subtleties of a nice contact any easier, right?

Last edited:

OldFogie

Provocateur
Visit site
Playing devil's advocate here, I'm going to jump in on this highfallutin' dressage chat to say - surely it depends which rein one is on?

Righthand rein - righthand leg is inside and right hand controls direction, outside impulsion - vice versa - the opposite.

Taking up the contact is a balancing act for either rein and difficult for some people to "get" but once appreciated shouldn't be as big a potential problem as "getting" the "allow"ance to maintain a contact constant and consistently.

The natural tendency for us all to be stronger on one side - and for that matter - also one's horse, comes to the fore when say attempting circles and falling in - they all do it one side more than the other ( might be the odd miracle horse out there but I've not found it!)

I learnt to ride dressage, passably, late in life but with a pretty good state of fitness - I dug holes for a living and laid 1,000 bricks a day, that kind of thing - never had much trouble with the hands when riding - feet, ankles, calves, knees and many other bits, yes but hands got the message fairly easily.

Last edited:

Mule

Visit site
Playing devil's advocate here, I'm going to jump in on this highfallutin' dressage chat to say - surely it depends which rein one is on?

Righthand rein - righthand leg is inside and right hand controls direction, outside impulsion - vice versa - the opposite.

Taking up the contact is a balancing act for either rein and difficult for some people to "get" but once appreciated shouldn't be as big a potential problem as "getting" the "allow"ance to maintain a contact constant and consistently.

The natural tendency for us all to be stronger on one side - and for that matter - also one's horse, comes to the fore when say attempting circles and falling in - they all do it one side more than the other ( might be the odd miracle horse out there but I've not found it!)

I learnt to ride dressage, passably, late in life but with a pretty good state of fitness - I dug holes for a living and laid 1,000 bricks a day, that kind of thing - never had much trouble with the hands when riding - feet, ankles, calves, knees and many other bits, yes but hands got the message fairly easily.

Whatever rein I'm on it's always my left hand that's strong

atlantis

equinetouchjo.wordpress.com
Quite often it's a core strength thing. I'm a physio and an Equipilates™ Biomechanics Trainer. Ive just done my sessions last week on contact and equal contact. It's amazing what you can do with a gym ball.

Good advice about trying to use your 'other' hand for everyday tasks but discovering your asymmetries from the pelvis up will really help this. The key to independent hands is an independent seat!!!

Find a good physio with an interest in riding (loads about) or an Equipilates™ Profession (there are different types).

Jx

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
As someone with complete, incomplete dominance, I think trying to increase the dexterity in the non dominant hand is a good idea, but also keep in mind that it is likely that one foot/leg will also be dominant and so will one eye, which can make subtle differences to how we sit.

coss

Visit site
Brush your teeth with the hand you don't usually use and ditto that for the computer mouse - amazing how doing those things can help coordinate your brain to your less dominant hand. I also try to do some writing with both hands and my left handed writing has got quicker and neater - still markedly different from my right hand but it's better.. better coordination in the hand= better feel in the hand. If you have a dog that you kick a ball for, swap which foot your kick the ball with.

paddi22

Visit site
I had an accident and lost the power in my left arm and left hip. The only thing I have ever found the helped, was the look at the horses ears when i am riding and see where they are at. regardless of how much I 'think' i am balanced, the horse is the only one who will tell you!

Dave's Mam

Visit site
As someone with complete, incomplete dominance, I think trying to increase the dexterity in the non dominant hand is a good idea, but also keep in mind that it is likely that one foot/leg will also be dominant and so will one eye, which can make subtle differences to how we sit.

I lean to the right. It's infuriating.
Going to try these ideas.

Ben2684

Visit site
Brilliant advice thank you. I predominantly work at a desk using a computer so will definitely try the using left arm/hand a bit more.
I think I struggle more as horse also finds left rein more difficult and I can fix my inside rein and outside rein is flapping and it’s so frustrating. I know what I need to do but my body/coordination just doesn’t seem to compute. The physio comment is also really interesting as I had an accident a few years ago resulting in an air ambulance and month in hospital so will also look at whether my overall position is being compromised.A few things to think about definitely!!!

Pinkvboots

Visit site
see I look at it as having a weak side as I did struggle with the right rein with almost giving it away so it's the same with you, it's your right hand you have to correct not your left, I just try to think right hand as much as I can when I ride and it did become stronger it's handy to tell your instructor to remind you as well, I also told a friend of mine and she would often shout right hand to me while I was schooling if she saw the rein was slack, I think you just have to condition yourself to keep reminding yourself to correct it.

emilylou

Visit site
I have the same issue and have been trying to figure out a solution myself for ages and had a revelation the other week. Not sure if this will be the same for everyone but this is what is working for me.

I am right handed however have always struggled to maintain contact on the right rein more than the left. I thought this was due to being stronger on the right and therefore fixing on that side, however I have discovered that I am actually weak on my right side in my rotator cuff and am compensating with my flexor groups (bicep etc) meaning my right arm appears stronger and has more muscle bulk in biceps but actually has more instability, hence my difficulty in maintaining a consistent contact. My left side has weaker flexors but overall has more balanced muscle groups meaning there is more stability and control allowing a consistent contact. I have been doing rotator cuff exercises on my right arm for past couple of weeks and have noticed a real difference, a quick google will show you RC exercises but basically resisted int/ext rotation.

I also find riding without stirrups/bareback really helps square me up and try to do it a couple of times a week as you can’t compensate without tack and forces you to ride correctly and in allignment- sorts out everything, not just the arms!

PaulnasherryRocky

Visit site
I have had two instructors tell me to do this when I hold too much on one rein, and it does work whenever I do it -

Basically, turn your hands upside down and hold the reins so that your palms are facing upwards and your thumbs out to the side, the reins running between your thumb and index finger - something to do with how to bones between your elbow and hand cross over, and doing this makes it impossible to pull back. Works for me!

Ben2684

Visit site
Basically, turn your hands upside down and hold the reins so that your palms are facing upwards and your thumbs out to the side, the reins running between your thumb and index finger - something to do with how to bones between your elbow and hand cross over, and doing this makes it impossible to pull back. Works for me!

Will definitely try this!
Some interesting replies. I forgot to mention I am right handed so the comments about the left being weaker and this being the reason it fixes are really interesting. Also seems I am not alone in my struggles! Thanks everyone some definite things to try. Today though trying to use my left hand for the mouse etc at work is proving to be a challenge!!

OldFogie

Provocateur
Visit site
......Thanks everyone some definite things to try. Today though trying to use my left hand for the mouse etc at work is proving to be a challenge!!

Yep exercise doesn't have to be tremendously physical just lots of small reps - however; I thoroughly reccommend my new "pilates" twelve hour shift singlehanded plastering course! haha. I once worked out that I must have ridden my mare ( I rode others too) for at least 17,000 hours while "allowing" in the dressage style so my elbows have moved 10,000,000 times - before and after work.

Ben2684

Visit site
I have had two instructors tell me to do this when I hold too much on one rein, and it does work whenever I do it -

Just wanted to say I tried this tonight in our schooling session and it massively helped to get him to relax into the contact on both reins during warm up and early stages. So thank you will continue with this method as part of my warm up routine. Loosening UK in canter and the. Allowing a stretch coming back to trot really helped too. Unfortunately left rein is the less able for both of us but I’m confident with hard work and patience (on my part!!) I will get there

Thanks again for all the suggestions peeps-much appreciated :)

blitznbobs

Visit site
brush your teeth wih the non dominant hand, brush the yard the other way round, just keep practicing and it gets better then 'do more' when riding with the non dominant hand and release with the dominant one... if things arent working let go of your dominant hand a bit and this can help a lot.