Domosedan sedative.

cblover

Visit site
I’ve never administered this before to any horse but I need to on Tuesday morning before the farrier comes to my clydesdale. It’s not something I’m intending to do on a regular basis but Scrappy has gravel in both front feet and she needs a good trim. It’s just because she’s sore that the vet suggested using this to help the procedure go smoothly.

Any tips on getting this right? I’m a little nervous....hope she’s doesn’t fall over.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Heavies can extremely reactive to sedation. My clydex needed only half the normal IV dose and still nearly fell over. Please be careful CBL and dont get hurt.

ycbm

Visit site
I had some of this for one of mine recently, first time using it! Vet advised you must get it under the tongue or it will not work.

You must get it to stay inside the mouth on the mucous membranes but any mucous membrane in there will do, it works just as well rubbed into the gums if you've got a spitter outer horse.

Last edited:

The Trooper

Visit site
I've used it once to sedate my friends pony for the farrier, under the tongue is where I put herd and then left her in her stable to get sleepy (checked every few minutes).

I made sure not to do anything or let anything over stimulate her whilst waiting for the sedative to take effect and whilst sedated to ensure longevity as I was concerned any activity might wake her up (adrenaline?).

Annagain

Visit site
It's brilliant stuff. Works so well on my boy for clipping. I found it pretty easy to administer. The tube is quite small so easy to manage with one hand while the other pushes the tongue up. It took about 30 mins to work. It's not like sedalin where it seems to happen gradually. I thought it hadn't worked for 30 minutes than bang, he was gone!

cblover

Visit site
Thanks everyone.

Ycbm - I did think about dosage knowing what heavies are like. Vet wondered between half and full tube, then decided on full. If I gave her half, kept her quiet in her stable to see how she took it....can I pop her up with it if necessary?

She had a very rough start and although I’m working on her feet picking up skills, she’s still a work in progress. Because she has gravel in both fronts, the sedation is to allow the farrier to be swift without too must fuss. Bless her, I hate to see her struggling.

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
Did you mean top her up. The problem with that could be how long it takes to work. As I said with mine (although different type of horse), it takes at least 40 minutes so I would have to give at least 50 minutes to decide I hadn't given enough. By the time the second dose is kicking in, I would worry that the first is wearing off.

It's not usually long after we've finished clipping that he starts to perk up.

cblover

Visit site
Oops...yes I mean top not pop! Lol

Thanks, I’ll see how we go but I’ll give her it well in advance.

ycbm

Visit site
I have read that topping up doesn't work, but I've no idea. Maybe because it takes so long to go in all topping up does is extend the time?

It was frightening being near a solid 16 hands that looked like he was going to fall over on half a dose IV, please stand back until you're sure of Scrappy, we dont want you squashed (well I suppose it might possibly please your mother 😲 🤣).

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
The lady who clips for me texts when she's about 20 minutes away and I dose. By the time she arrives and sets up that takes us up to 30 minutes and then we watch him closely ready to start. It's year 3 and we have it down to a fine art but it was trial and error at first.

Goldenstar

Visit site
I agree with those who say the time it takes to work fully is extremely variable as is the amount you need to give to get the right result .

awelshandawarmblood

Visit site
I've been using it for year & its great, I have it to dope mine before the vets arrival so he can then have IV sedation of jabs & teeth.
I make sure hes quiet & the yard, I then have to lip twitch him to give it to him & always around 40 minutes before the vet is due so he's fully sleepy. I always put it under the tongue & then hold his head up for a few mins so it dissolves & he cant flick it out. Always wear gloves & long sleeves too so you don't get a dose! lol

southerncomfort

Visit site
I'm going to have to use this when my mini has her feet trimmed (we tried without and she wouldn't let him anywhere near her).

I'm worried though as she is very, very nervous. I'm making good progress gaining her trust but I'm worried that trying to get sedative under her tongue is going to be flipping difficult and cause her as much stress as getting her feet trimmed.

Is their a technique I need to know about?

Goldenstar

Visit site
I'm going to have to use this when my mini has her feet trimmed (we tried without and she wouldn't let him anywhere near her).

I'm worried though as she is very, very nervous. I'm making good progress gaining her trust but I'm worried that trying to get sedative under her tongue is going to be flipping difficult and cause her as much stress as getting her feet trimmed.

you could try using sedaline it works slower it give less sedation but usually lasts longer it’s in a tube and supposed to go on the tongue but you can give it in a bit of food it takes longer to work thats why you need a practise run .
what you would have to do is work out the dose and try it to see what effect you need before the farrier came .
good news a tube will go a long way with a Shetland .
You can also use sedative in food to knock the edge off them and then get the domosedan under the tongue .
Sedaline is my first choice for shoeing it’s a milder effect so it’s easier for the farrier .
You give seadaline and top with domosedan if necessary .

southerncomfort

Visit site
you could try using sedaline it works slower it give less sedation but usually lasts longer it’s in a tube and supposed to go on the tongue but you can give it in a bit of food it takes longer to work thats why you need a practise run .
what you would have to do is work out the dose and try it to see what effect you need before the farrier came .
good news a tube will go a long way with a Shetland .
You can also use sedative in food to knock the edge off them and then get the domosedan under the tongue .
Sedaline is my first choice for shoeing it’s a milder effect so it’s easier for the farrier .
You give seadaline and top with domosedan if necessary .

GS - thank you, that's really helpful and has put my mind at rest.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
It is quite amazing how heavies react to dope. Mine is away with the fairies with a tiny amount. He is always the last to come round after teeth sessions despite being the first one done.

I wouldn’t want the responsibility of gauging the dose for mine without a vet giving very specific guidance or a vet being present if the purpose of the sedation is to put a farrier under a horse that is possibly in pain.

For clipping it is easier to get out of the way as you can see what the horse is doing. The farrier will be depending on the handler to be reading the situation whilst he is under the horse and is feeling rather seeing what is happening.

Griffin

Visit site
I use it for clipping. In my life experience:
- wear gloves!
-take away their haynet and water until after they have 'come round'.
- keep things quiet to help them relax.
- when they start weeing, they are usually on their way back to waking up!
- always keep an eye on them until they are properly awake again and eating normally.

cblover

Visit site
Ok, little concerned now. I’ll speak to the vet on Monday. He first said half a tube then changed his mind to a fully tube.

Think I’d be happier with half a tube.

ycbm

Visit site
I know it would be expensive, CBL, but would it be best if you test her when you don't need it first with half a tube?

ycbm

Visit site

You can rub it onto her gum without her even opening her mouth. just put it on your finger and run it along below her teeth in the v at the bottom.

CavaloBranco

Visit site
Sedalin did nothing for my clipper phobic horse! Demosedan was brilliant, it took a good 40 mins to take effect though then my boy was dopey for about 90 mins, plenty of time for a full clip! As has been said dont get any on yourself or you will be snoozing on the nearest hay bale!