Donations on Facebook to buy a girl a horse...

The wife

Visit site
Now then I'm somewhat confused as to the morals on this... A Facebook page has been set up to enable people to give donations towards the cost of buying a horse for a groom who works on a dealers yard. Said girl has bought rugs, Haynets and tack for horse but can't afford to buy her but states she can afford to keep it. Low and behold people are donating £5 at a time and the dealer is promoting the cause. Does this infuriate anybody else? How people afford to throw money away like that at the moment is beyond me. Just a little pointless rant more than anything but I find it really ridiculous. :)

Dizzydancer

Visit site
You must be fairly local to me! That dealer is already someone I would tend to avoid with a bargepole due to behaviour but this took me by surprise, what happens if they don't get the full cost I cant see people getting money back!

Lynsey&Smartie

Visit site
Crazy! Surely if she works for a dealer they can help find her a reasonably priced horse, which she can pay for by saving each month what she would be paying for livery/shoes etc. If she can't afford to save for a horse then she can't afford to have one in my opinion.

Baggage

Visit site
Fb page is unavailable so may have been taken down, wonder if someone talked some sense into them. Absolutely nuts but nothing surprises me in horse world.
Now that holiday to the Caribbean I've bought the clothes and the suitcase just can't afford the flights, any donations......

Goldenstar

Visit site
Well that's an enterprising idea .
After yesterday I fancy a new trailer anyone want to chip in ?
NO ..... I thought not
The worlds a bit mad.

fburton

Visit site
Will the donations cover the cost of keeping the horse, which we all know is usually many times the initial cost of buying? If they won't, where will that money come from?

It's not so much the fact that she is getting a 'free lunch' that bothers me; it's the fact that it may be creating problems for people - and the horse - in the future (i.e. there ain't no such thing as a free lunch!).

The wife

Visit site
This is what troubles me. I always reckon buying the horse is the easy part as it's a known quantity. Keeping them on the other hand is a whole different entity. Saying that I'm a realist and cynical for my years. Just really grips me that there are 1000's of our elderly not able to afford heating yet donations are flying in to buy this horse to give the girl 'happiness' but I guess it all depends on what ones morals are. Without a doubt this girl will get over her loss if the horse is sold, will those that die of cold and hunger?

babymare

Visit site
Im starting to think people ate going crazy. havent been on page but pray tell me not many are donating and they are not strangers to girl. Sitting banging head on desk

SadKen

Visit site
A dealer near me is offering to give away a horse if they get enough facebook likes.

It does say the home will be checked to ensure it's suitable. Not sure how likely that is, but I think the idea is dubious myself.

Spyda

Visit site
Sheesh.... now why didn't I think of that last week when I lost my mare suddenly to an uninsurable loss and took out a loan to buy the next one.
2e4e21a3.gif
Facebook! Why on earth didn't I think of that. Could have saved me interest rates!

75da2e14.gif

Kitei

Visit site
What's the page called, as the link doesn't work for me? (and I'm nosy)

If only the world worked that way. :p

HaffiesRock

Visit site
A bit different, but a friend near me takes in cats. She has 20 odd now in her little 1 bad house because she loves having them around her. They are not rescues, just where people cant afford/dont want them anymore and she tends to keep them. The problem is she cant afford them so spends lots of time on Facebook asking for money to feed them etc. I just find that a bit cheeky as id love a field full of ponies but cant afford them. I wouldn't dream of asking others to pay for them!

Shantara

Visit site
That makes my blood boil!!

I will promote my commissions if I am in a tricky spot, but I would NEVER outright ask for money!! I work hard to keep Ned, I've been dreaming of having my own horse all my life and I finally have one!
Not just money hard work, but also hard work with Ned enabled me to have him. Grr.

sarahann1

Visit site
Sheesh, just when you think the world couldn't get anymore odd...

I've just had to pay a £450 vet bill, anyone fancy chipping in to help me get some money back into my bank account?! Also I have the chance of a wee coblet on f/t loan, anyome wanna chip in for his care??

As Pedantic would say, NOA.