Donkey People

pairciban

Visit site
Hi,
I have a 5yo donkey stallion that I want to geld, he is rather large in that department
blush.gif
. Now my problem is that I have been told that donkeys in general bleed more that horses, and that he probably will need to be knocked out fully and have his tubes tied.

Has anyone had a donkey gelded late and if so what way did the vet do him and why?

Thanks

canteron

Visit site
I had a donkey gelded at a similar age and it wasn't great, but then I think gelding rarely is!!

The donkey was knocked out - yes it did bleed but I don't remember it being worse than the horses I have seen being gelded. Unfortunately the wound went septic and although not much fun for the donkey it was very much 'all in a days work' for the vet.

On a positive note, the donkey is so much happier being gelded ...... they really do think of nothing but sex if left entire and (assuming its not freely available) they just get unhappy.

So my advice, just get on with it ... once you are on the other side you will be glad you did!!!

Cuffey

Visit site
Worth contacting the Donkey Sanctuary for advice
Apparently some vets treat them like horses and donks need slightly different techniques. Their vet will speak to your vet if requested.

D

Donkeymad

Like horses, they can bleed, but it is not common for much bleeding to occur. At five, it is possible, but necessarily so, that he will need a GA.

I second calling the Donkey Sanctuary as they geld all entires that they take in and are great for giving advice.

smirnoff_ice07

Visit site
We just had a colt done, he is rising 2 and quite small tho and had no problems. The vet said he had never done a donkey and was quite worried as the donkey sanctuary said it was more complicated than a horse, but ours went fine, no bleeding.
He bought another vet to help him and we did have to knock him out completely and top him up halfway through, but i think they just clamped him after and he was up half an hour later. Kept him in for a couple of hours and turned him out on his own that afternoon, then back out with his fieldmate the next day.
We had no probs, maybe we were lucky though!