Donkeys

Rockchick

Visit site
Hi All

Bit of a random question but I’m getting close to my wits end – I have 1 more trick up my sleeve before I contemplate doing something I usually flatly refuse to do – give up and avoid the issue

I have an 11 year old 14.3hh cob x mare who in most ways is easy-going and reliable (but in no way dope on rope), she can be spooky to ride but in most cases either ignoring her or a firm GET ON solves the scariness of the situation (such as when we come across axe wielding wildlife or the tigers lurking in the wheelie bins etc) – I have to be careful though as if I get on her case too much in a spook situation it has the opposite effect and she gets worse.

I have owned her since 2005 and in that time we have come a long way in her development, however the 1 thing I haven’t been able to conquer is her overwhelming fear of donkeys!

At a yard I used to be on we had to go past one on one of our hacking routes and eventually after some work and back up of others I could get her to go past it – albeit at quite a fast walk, snorting like a fire breathing dragon and feeling 17 hands high but she refrained from cantering past / spinning and backing into the ditch so that was that.
She hasn’t seen a donkey since then, however I have now moved elsewhere and there’s 2 living round the corner that are grazed (along with a horse) down a track from my stables –we don’t have to go past them to get anywhere but it’s a shortcut onto a nice hacking route so would like to be able to use it. I ventured down a couple of weeks or so ago – 1 donkey was at the far end of the field and didn’t even look up at us so that was fine, the horse didn’t even realise we were there I don’t think and the other donkey was just grazing quietly in the centre of the field cue the head up, 14.3hh becoming 17hh and the fire breathing impressions. I let her stand quietly and look before asking her to walk on – which to be fair she did – grudgingly…. I thought we’d conquered it until the donkey became vocal!!! I managed to block backwards movement and 360 spin and instead got forwards at a million miles an hour (not out of control) and it took some time for her to regain her composure. She’s exactly the same with another horse with her too and if we’re coming back from a ride and she hears it she freezes to the spot bless her

She’s NH trained so I’m thinking of doing some ground work with her near the donkeys to see if that helps, other than that I’m stuck (apart from asking if I can borrow one for a few days lol)

Pamfyson

Visit site
I've come across this often. They either love donkeys or loathe them IME. I've never ever managed to get any kind of resolution to it either. Sorry. Hope you can manage it and if you do please pass on the magic that let you;)

lachlanandmarcus

Visit site
I think donkeys are like pigs, the best way to cure a 'thing' about them is to have them yourself so they have 24x7 exposure, but that might not be an option. Maybe you could borrow a pair for a while (prob not one as they bond for life and can suffer if split up from pair bonded donk)

MontyandZoom

Visit site
Zoomy is bombproof and I have never known her to be afraid of anything.........until we turned her out with Nutella the donkey!! She was terrified!!! It was bizarre, I have never seen anyone so terrified.

However - don't lose heart! They are now the best of friends :D They way we acheived it?? We just chucked them out together! Not too sensible if the donkey is mean but Nutty was like 'why is that short eared thing making such a fuss?'. It took a week or so but Zoomy soon realised that this strange creature was no threat and they now love each other.

Is there any way you can borrow a donkey? I think total immersion is the best cure. Good luck!

Lolo

Visit site
My old horse would have nothing to do with donkeys. A lot of it was him being a hysterical idiot (he was 25, and would wind himself up for a joke and then forget it was a joke...) but he was genuinely freaked out by them. We had to hack past a field with 2 in every day, and he never managed it sensibly, without some form of breakdown.

However, Bee and Reg (also hysterical TBs) have a donkey chum who they adore. Reg is genuinely freaked out by small ponies, but he finds the donkey quite acceptable... Bee fancies the donkey, so we try not to think about them too much :D I think they get used to them once they realise what they are? At first, when the donkey was turned out with Reg, they resolutely pretended the other wasn't there, but after a few days they were good friends :)

mynutmeg

Visit site
I would be asking the donkey's owners if you could 'borrow' them for a week or two and turn out together. Start with next door for a few days to let them get used to each other and then try in together and your horse will soon get used to them but make sure you worm for lungworm

canteron

Visit site
Do they eyeor and is that part of the problem.

Why not record an 'eyeor' on your phone and play it just before you feed your horse.

A bit like desensitizing to firework bangs with a firework DVD.

Beware though, don't overdo it, or the donks may eyeor and your horse gallop over to them looking for his breakfast!

(I have a couple of wonderful donkeys, it is normally the thoroughbreds who dont like them but they do all get over it..... eventually)

Rockchick

Visit site
one donkey doesnt even acknowledge we are going past as a rule, the other donkey doesnt usually come near but always acknowledges us and says hi - donkey style which makes the problem worse because in my mares head he must be saying 'im going to eat you' so that makes her reaction to them a lot worse - she reacts to the mere sight of them though. What I have noticed is that if she hears them but doesnt see them shes not as hysterical

jinglejoys

Visit site
img001_zpsdfaef289.jpg

Never worried my boys dam :D

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
There is a donkey on the yard where mine is so he's fine with this particular one, haven't met any others out hacking though.

He is scared of most things though...

Think it is just repeat exposure

Miniature ponies and cows however ARE going to eat him!!