Don't know what to do anymore :(

BethanT

Visit site
Slightly non horsey, but also wanted the advice of people who own and compete their or other people's horses.

I have been at my main workplace for 2 years now, I recently failed my lifeguarding re-assessment for various reasons and so cannot gain any more hours from working there (good pay for SW, so would have liked as many as poss and to stay), in addition to that, working 2 other jobs meant I was limited to the extra hours I could get. In all I probably take home £120 pw before tax.
My other jobs are working for somone riding and looking after their horses while they are away periodically - £100 pw and shifts behind a bar and waitressing - also good pay for SW, I get roughly 9 hours a week, so around the £60 mark.

I have recently decided that accountancy and business admin etc was more my style and something I was keen to get in to, so with that in mind a livery has told me of an apprenticeship position at her work, which would be minimum wage and working pretty much double the hours. Taking into account some extra work for my boyfriends parents, YO and the bar work, im still earning less - albeit only a small amount - yet working double the hours. BUT, it is something that is going to aid my future earning potential and allow to be doing a job I want to be doing. So I am more than likely going to take this option.

However, the apprenticeship is a 9-5 job and I am struggling to see where I would fit in time with my horse who is expecting a foal later this summer, and to then back and break her next year, as well as spend some time with my boyfriend who only has two weekdays off due to being a chef.

Putting my horse on loan isnt an option due to her being in foal, and I could not sell her. If I was in real trouble finacially I could put her on my boyfriend's parents farm but she would be on her own (bar cows) and living out and still wouldnt help with the time because at least I have electric at my yard.

SO my main question is, how do those of you with 9-5's mon-fri have time to spend with your horses and ride/compete? What sacrafices do you make?

OR what would you do in my situation? Sorry, just a bit downhearted at the minute as really don't know what to do :(

STRIKER

Visit site
I would put on boyfriends farm as her foal would be her company, you can live without electric buy a good strong hallogen lamp or torch. You dont have to bak the foal in next year, it could be broken in when its a 4 yo. I believe in taking each day as it finds me, and not to worry about the future, what will be will be.

Theocat

Visit site
Plenty of people manage 9-5 - me included :)

I go and see my horse after work - the yard does him in the morning. There's ample time in an evening to get to the horse, ride, get home and have dinner with the OH; you just need to be organised and save time wherever possible. If your OH works at weekends it will be easy for you to fit in competing - you just need to make sure you do find time for him; perhaps on one of his weekday evenings off ask/pay the yard to do your mare so you can have some time with him.

FWIW I think you're definitely doing the right thing, but if horses are part of your life and you want a decent career you'll need to start fitting them in at some point - it might as well be now!

BethanT

Visit site
I would put on boyfriends farm as her foal would be her company, you can live without electric buy a good strong hallogen lamp or torch. You dont have to bak the foal in next year, it could be broken in when its a 4 yo. I believe in taking each day as it finds me, and not to worry about the future, what will be will be.

Foal will be sold once weaned, its my mare that needs backing and breaking. Good advise though on what will be will be. I know that people manage 9-5 so I don't really know why I am so worried, I think its just cause I am so used to having all day to play ponies, its going to be a shock to the system to not be.

CBAnglo

Visit site
Unless the job is going to support you in you accountancy exams I think it is a very underpaid admin job. If you do go on to study as well, e.g. ACCA then you will have studying/exam prep time too.

Many people work 9-5 or more and manage to still ride etc. you get good at organising your time during the week and doing stuff on weekends like making up Haynets for the next week etc. even better if your horse can/is able to live out for most/part of the year. Are there any yards near you that has grass livery + facilities?

kerrieberry2

Visit site
I feel your pain but totally understand, you just have to see it as "short term" things might not be great for a couple of years but it will help you in the future!

I was really low a couple of years ago, I gave up full time work and went back to full time college for 3 yrs to do hairdressing

1st yr, was 3 full days at college, then I worked 3 days a week one week, 2 days the following week, only earning £90 or £60 a week, this didn't cover my bills for my 1 horse! but I had some money saved which helped for a few months, but soon disappeared!

when I finished the first yr, I got a full time summer job, which was a cr ap wage but was sales so supposed to earn commission, expect I didn't get a penny! at this time, I had my mare and was looking after another horses for a friend who was travelling, I then had to take a 2nd job, working in a pub, I started 45 mins after I finished the day job, 2 nights a week and afternoon/evening on a Saturday. I had 20 mins drive to the yard, chucked feeds out, went home got changed, while a dinner was in the microwave for 5 mins, worked until 11.30-12, went home to bed! up at 6am the next day, to feed, muck out etc

2nd yrs went to a new college, 2 long days a week, worked at the pub still but extra hours, which killed me, then I found a job in sainsburys which was the 5 days that I wasn't at college, so worked 6am - 10am or 12am if I done over time, but gave me some time during the day with the horses but not much money, so I started doing private hairdressing on the side, but was very skint! then I had my mare and got my now 4yr old gelding, was 18 months when I got him! was a struggle but it was the right time to get him!

3rd yr was only 12 days in college but a lot of online stuff, so I worked full time, used all of my holiday for college, I also had to do work experience in a salon, so done that every sat from Jan until Aug last year, as well as having a load of demanding clients, I was honestly doing hairdressing 5 days a week on top of all that! and at this time I moved house, yard etc! now had my mare, gelding and mini Shetland! and moved to a private farm, with no help from anyone, had to do the horses twice a day myself! as there was no one else at the yard!

and after all that, I've been given a big promotion at work, nothing to do with hairdressing and I have cut back on my clients, I do the odd few but only a few a month, rather than a few a day as my 4yr old is now backed and I need to spend time working him!

needless to say I didn't have time for a boyfriend then! but I do have one now!

but the moral of my war and peace story is, you will come out the other side and it will be worth it!

BethanT

Visit site
This potential new job is an apprenticeship for business admin but within an accounts company I believe, so opportunity to progress onto accounts and bookkeping etc. I am looking into my ACCA course but won't be until next year as just do not have the money to fund that right now.

Luckily during the summer months horses are out at night, but I am still keeping mine in at night to keep her in same routine for when she foals - obviously be MUCH easier when she isnt in foal. I'm very lucky with my yard as it has all I need really.

Only thing I worry about is that I am going to run myself into the ground and be so tired running around after so many jobs, as I am going to have to keep doing some extra work for people on top of the apprenticeship work just to stay afloat.

But as you say its all good for the long term so it will be all worth it. I must just keep thinking of that 5 bedroomed house with 20 acres and stables etc! :)

Spot_the_Risk

www.animalcrackersdevon.co.uk
A full time job is just normal life. Imam self employed, at work between 8 and 9 each day, sometimes get away before 5.30 but not a given by any means. No electric at our yard and no school so I generally ride once a week through winter, if I do more it's a bonus. As you're already considering this apprenticeship why not see if you can find one with a little more pay or a guaranteed training programme.

Holly Hocks

Visit site
Depending on your age, if you are still young, go for the new job, gain some qualifications and use them. I have two horses and work full time - sometimes working 7.30am - 6pm. I get up at 5.30am, ride one before work, quick muck out and chuck them out, then after work, bring in, feed and go home. I either alternate the days they are ridden, or the days I do manage to finish earlier, ride the other one after work. It can be done, but expect to be tired. On Saturdays when I've ridden them both in the morning and done the shopping on the way home, I go back to bed til the afternoon to catch up on sleep!

CLM

Visit site
Unless the job is going to support you in you accountancy exams I think it is a very underpaid admin job. If you do go on to study as well, e.g. ACCA then you will have studying/exam prep time too.

This.
If you want a job in accountancy, apply for a job in this area. At the least discuss with them the likelihood of transferring to the accountancy rather than admin side. Working in accounts payable (paying invoices), accounts receivable or training as payroll are probably better routes into accountancy than general admin.
A good accountancy firm will train and provide study support for your qualification, but it is hard work to study and work at the same time.

Lynsey&Smartie

Visit site
9 to 5 with horses is totally doable if you are organised. When I first started working in accountancy for a big firm we were expected to work at least 10 hours overtime on top of the normal office hours and I still managed to keep my horse and ride and compete. Initially you probably won't earn lots if they are paying for your training but once you are qualified your salary will increase rapidly. Go for it!

BethanT

Visit site
Thing is down here all if not most will be paying the bare minimum which for me is only £5.03 and hour. So I kind of have to choose places that will cost me less in travel. The one which I am talking about is 10 mins away from home and horses do ideal.

I also really love working and the idea of working and learning at the same time. Obviously I know I need my ACCA but are there other options to gaining it, other than the straight course? As in working at same time?

Equi

Visit site
Most people are employed, and have horses. For foaling i would maybe have a foaling service have her for the last few weeks, i know it is expensive but it is worth it for peace of mind.

1life

Visit site
As a few others have said, most horsey people end up being on the go for some very unsociable hours! It's not always easy but when you have lovely bright and breezy days like today, it's worth it :). I've done 6 til 6.45 today to get work and 'horse play' done(and I can guarantee you that won't be the longest day of many peeps here) but I've enjoyed it :).

Chin up, you can make it work if you want to :)

FairyLights

Visit site
Where do you want to be in 10 years time? Which job offers the most flexibility if you have children by then? Which job could you do part time in the futre? Just sdome things to consider.

Fransurrey

Visit site
If you want to become an accountant, you'll have to get used to long hours I'm afraid. My friend started out in a similar sounding position. She's now a Senior Tax Advisor. It's definitely not 9 to 5 though, not at month end at any rate!

CIJ

Visit site
My hubby works shifts, so when he's on early shift or off I will ride before work, if he's on late shift I'll ride after work. When it comes to weekends and I've got competitions he knows he will just have to make do with not seeing me, whatever shift he's on :) But he has his own hobbies so it works for us.

Bedlam

Visit site
It will all be fine and you will fit it all in - but I would think long and hard about the foaling. It I were you I would send your mare to stud to foal if you are working full time. You will have to be sitting up for a few nights before she foals I expect and then you will need to regulate mare and foal turnout. Plus if anything goes wrong you'll need to be there for vets etc. You can't really turn out and bring in a mare and foal on your own - do you have on site help?

noodle_

Visit site
its very doable - just depends how dedicated you are

i personally have done it - sacrificed everything for my horse - a social life/partners etc - hence im now selling up as at 26, i have other things on my mind [houses etc] and i cannot give my horse 100percent which i believe it should be so she needs to go to someone who will love her as much as i do but can giv eher more time :]

emmanash

Visit site
I am in my first year at uni studying to be a nurse. I am 32, have 2 children, hubby, horse and am somehow managing ok! I didn't get to ride much over winter but am getting out around 3 times a week now. I have always dreamed of owning a house with enough land to keep my horse at home and decided to push myself to take the plunge from working as a healthcare assistant to becoming a nurse to enable myself to have a rewarding career and a piece of the good life! I think that you will manage with your horse fine. As others have said, many people manage full time work or study whilst keeping a horse. If you think about it too much it may seem unrealistic but when you get stuck in it's fine!