Don't know what to do - would you move yards?

In Limbo

New User
Visit site
Posting under a different name.

Recently moved yards and finding it difficult to settle in.

When we went to view the yard, it seemed to tick all the boxes. It was perfect for us apart from the fact it was a little further away than we had anticipated. But we overlooked this. The yard has a huge outdoor floodlit arena. They have american barn style stables all fitted with rubber matting. We were also shown the fields which looked in fairly good condition taking into account the bad weather we have had recently. We did not get to see all of the fields as some of them sloped down a hill, so we could only see the ones at the top.

It looked and sounded like the right place so moved the horses in about a month and a half ago. Previously, I was on DIY livery (and always have been) but I am now on fully livery, so it feels like a big change for me. Not to mention, I am paying a lot more. There are some things that I am a little unhappy about though, not all of them that major:

1. Horse 1 has a fully matted stable, but horse 2 only has front of the stable matted. Spoke to YO about it who said they had ran out of matting. Never said they were going to get more. I guess it’s not that big of a problem - it’s just that I am paying full livery prices and a fully rubber matted stable was included within the package.

2. The fields. Top fields are in good condition, but the 2 fields down the slope are horrendous. Typically, it is the 2 fields my horses are in. They are on clay as well which makes it even worse. The fields are just muck, no hint of grass. They are standing up to their knees in clay all day. YO never said it was clay or took us down too see the fields, so had no idea. Probably should have asked, but never thought.

3. The arena. This is the major problem for me. It’s basically unrideable at the minute. There is continuous patches all over that are really deep and uneven and there appears to be unexpected holes as well which you can’t really see. The outside track is the worst, can’t go anywhere near it. The only thing I can really do is medium sized circles in the middle. Even then, horse is still dipping and tripping at certain spots.

I usually hack out once at the weekend with other people, but can’t really hack out during the week as horse 2 doesn’t hack alone, YO doesn’t allow people to go out on their own, and rarely anyone to hack out with during the week. I don’t have a trailer/lorry to hire an arena elsewhere, so this is extremely frustrating. I am DYING to get lessons and start dressage and jumping again. I get myself to the point of tears because I get so frustrated.

Have spoke to YO about the arena. Said they were aware of the problem, it has never been like this before and put it down to all the rain we have had recently. Ponies have been let loose in the arena over the winter when the fields have been too wet so have dug up the arena a bit. YO said as soon as there was a few dry days they would get the digger out and trudge it up. That was just over 2 weeks ago. It has been dry for the past week, but nothing has been done to the arena yet. They do harrow it most days, but it doesn’t really make much of a difference.

Some stuff of horse 2 has been damaged. Clip snapped on the head collar and been put back together with a bit of plastic. Turned out horse had stood on it which is fine - these things happen. Came up the other day to find outdoor rug with huge rip on it and sursingle (sp?) broken. Someone hadn’t put the sursingle on properly, horse 2 then stood on it which caused the rip. Went up yesterday couldn’t find the head collar, groom found it - whole head collar drenched in muck, couldn’t see what colour it was. Apparently no explanation for it. They aren’t left on the horses in the field etc. If someone had dropped it in the field or whatever that’s fine, these things happen, but at least give it a clean once it’s dry! Would just prefer it if someone said, “Horse 2 stood on sursingle and ripped the rug” rather than no one even mentioning it and me wondering what happened to it for weeks.

I just don’t feel happy there at all, but I don’t know if this is because I need to give it more time. Moving from DIY livery to full livery might take time to adjust also. I don’t want to have to move the horses again and unsettle them even more. I don’t know if I am being reasonable with the issues I have raised, or I am nit picking because I would do it differently. My mum owns horse 1 and she quite enjoys the yard. She isn’t keen on the fields. Arena isn’t a problem for her as horse 1 is unbroken as still a baby. Not sure what to do. Like the people there, but just feel for the money I pay, I’m not getting much out of it. Think they will eventually get the arena sorted, but what if the same happens again this winter? I can’t not ride for 4 months. It’s so frustrating.

What do you think? Quality street chocolates for anyone who got this far :)

xxMozlarxx

Visit site
I think you are justified in your concern, you pay for rubber matting and the fields you were shown as well as use of a school, discuss it again withYO including all your issues

Supertrooper

Visit site
If you're not happy then move. Sorry to sound harsh but I think you should of perhaps asked more questions and looked at more things when you went but if you can't work round these problems then find somewhere were you'll be happy xxx

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
Blimey, get out now. Each one of your reasons would make me want to move asp. I especially love the one about YO not permitting liveries to ride out alone. Really ?
And the fields....poor horses.
Good luck with finding somewhere else.

Shazzababs

Visit site
Read back through what you wrote.

I think you have already answered your own question.

You aren't happy, so move. Its too expensive a hobby not to be happy with the yard.

PS. Who is the YO to say who you can and can't hack out with, on your own horse. If you want to hack out alone, just do it.

Copperpot

Visit site
Hmmm I found it hard at first when I changed from DIY to full livery. It's hard having to put your trust in others to look after your horses. First yard I was full livery on I ended up not trusting them. Horse left with no rug on in winter when he was fully clipped and other issues. I moved him and now I trust the yard 100%.

It doesn't sound an ideal yard and when you are paying a lot of money, you expect things to be spot on most of the time.

I can't see how YO can not allow people to hack out alone? It's not down to her to decide what people do with their horses?

I hope things get better for you :)

fidleyspromise

Visit site
Hmm, you don't sound happy with it and to me it doesn't sounds like its the shift from DIY to Full, but more the facilities that are available (or not in this case).

The not hacking alone would put me off straight away as I usually take my horse out myself.

Ollie's Mum

Visit site
I'm fortunate that I have my horse at home and have never had to deal with a big yard so I don't know how this compares with others but I think there would be too many negative points there for me. The lack of grazing isn't good and if you chose the yard specifically for facilities like the arena and can't use it without risking your horse breaking it's neck then you aren't getting what you're paying for.

Don't understand how YO can dictate that you can't hack out alone :confused:

I'd be tempted to move now rather than later, better for your horse to have a little bit of disruption now that be unhappy there.

Mike007

Visit site
I guess it rather depends on the age of the rider. Not hacking out alone sounds like good policy for younger riders.

Bethie

Visit site
Unfortunately you learn from experience to ask all sorts of questions and inspect every inch of the grounds when viewing yards as the owners only want to present their best side to prospective customers and will "forget" to mention various things if not specifically asked.

I don't think its the change in type of livery that you are finding hard to handle - at a good full livery yard you won't have a moments hesitation in leaving your horse in their care. There does seem to be a lack of communication between the owners/staff and you regarding things that they don't see as important but are to you (in my experience people on the yard all day haven't a clue how adding 15 minutes on to your day after work looking for a headcollar can often be the final straw or mean you don't have time to ride for example).

Turning out in the school does mean it will be knackered for riding regardless of what temporary fix they make now, it will need resurfacing to sort it properly and it sounds like they don't have enough land given the type of soil to offer turnout for the amount of horses they want on the yard. Given you can't really ride without a useable school or decent hacking I would be looking for somewhere else.

Jo1980

Visit site
I know it's a big hassle to move but I would if I were you.

I'd take my time (after all, we are heading into summer now) but would move by September at the latest.

Going from DIY to Full is difficult (13 years DIY for me, changing to full livery about 6 months ago!) but the problems aren't directly related to that by the sounds of things.

Life is too short, you need to enjoy your time with your horse as much as possible, especially when it is costing you a fortune!

Are there many other livery yards around?

Spring Feather

Visit site
I'll go against the grain. Winter is a horrible time to move to a new yard. Winter can be not much fun, combined with some places having trouble with mud issues et al. You are seeing this place at the worst possible time of the year when things don't always work as they should. If I was you I'd hang in there a couple more months, maybe give it till May/June and experience what it's like there in the summer time. Some things you've mentioned which would irk me, horses standing in mud all day, well the ground will dry up soon but it's still not nice to see (I thank my lucky stars every winter/spring that I don't have mud problems). The arena being unusable, there are times of the year you can sort out the footings, right now isn't one of them as even if the weather has been dry, the ground won't have dried out yet and if they were to try to do any work on it atm it would just end up a mush. The rubber mats, I have and like rubber mats but it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me if the stables didn't have them. Not being allowed to hack out alone? Hello! I'd be knocking that on the head right away. Everything else, rugs ripping, headcollars getting muddy, these things happen and they wouldn't bother me.

Beausmate

Visit site
If you can't hack out when you like (bizarre rule that!) and the school isn't up to the job, how are you supposed to get your horse fit enough to compete? I'm guessing here that the fields are going to be a no-go for riding in too due to rough ground.

I'd be looking for somewhere that would provide better value for money, and adequate facilities.

Littlelegs

Visit site
I think I'd firstly discuss how you feel about everything you've said here with the ym/yo & make a decision based on her response/ attitude to your worries. That said, if it was a cheap Diy I'd say nowhere is going to be perfect for little money, but if you're paying full wack I think you've got more choice over where you go.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
The rubber mats, the head collar and the rug are not things that would get me too hot and bothered. I would however, not have my horses standing in that much mud. For that reason alone, I would leave.

Goldenstar

Visit site
I would move , the school the fields and the hacking it costs a lot to have horses you need to enjoy them I would start quietly looking at once.
And next time you will be much more careful with the questions you ask see the stables that they will allocate to your horse the field you will use etc, Good luck with the hunt.

ApolloBaby

Visit site
The rubber mats, the head collar and the rug are not things that would get me too hot and bothered. I would however, not have my horses standing in that much mud. For that reason alone, I would leave.

My thoughts exactly - mud fever is rotten, difficult to get rid of and to be avoided if possible. There seems to be a lack of follow-through on the facilities, which would really bother me - I'm a hard working professional and when I pay out money for a defined service and it doesn't happen, I'm not happy. That being said, as others have pointed out, summer is on the way, and staying put temporarily might give you more time to investigate other options so that if you move again, it won't have to be rushed, as it's hard enough.

Flame_

Visit site
I only read to about half way down and I'd already be long gone. I can't believe a YO tells adult customers on their own horses they can't go hacking on their own. :eek:

Achinghips

Visit site
I only read to about half way down and I'd already be long gone. I can't believe a YO tells adult customers on their own horses they can't go hacking on their own. :eek:

^^^ this

To recap:

1. They are not looking after your things or telling you when they break - they are breaking through lack of care of the horses

2. You have a crap barely useable arena

3. Your horse does not have adequate grazing

4. You can't hack out

5. Clay soil

6. It's further away for you to travel

7. You are paying more

8. You don't trust them (and noone can blame you, btw)

Spring Feather

Visit site
That being said, as others have pointed out, summer is on the way, and staying put temporarily might give you more time to investigate other options so that if you move again, it won't have to be rushed, as it's hard enough.
Or get all her ducks in a row about which fields her horses will go in next winter (if she stays). That was more my thinking; once she's been there a while she can say that next winter her horses are not going in the muddy fields. Actually OP can't you just ask that now? Why do they have to be in the muddy fields instead of the nice grassy ones? I would think that they would rather please you than lose you?

fatpiggy

Visit site
Yes, you are seeing the yard in winter which is never a good time, and I don't know what part of the country this is, but really, it hasn't been a very wet winter at all (I'm in the NW) so I would think things could actually be alot worse re the fields. The arena would put me off completely I'm afraid. It sounds downright dangerous and I suspect the thing needs a total overhaul including a new surface. No hacking out alone? Well, I can see the YO is concerned for peoples safety, by I COULDN'T hack my silly mare out in company because she jogged continuously and tried to get way out in front which wasn't much fun for her, me or anyone else who tagged along. She was a bit of a live wire but I used to go out for hours totally alone (before mobile phones too) and despite the resident flashers I never came to any harm whatsoever and we certainly didn't just plod about. It also meant I could do what I wanted when I wanted and didn't have to take anyone else into consideration or have to put up with their demands.

Get looking for somewhere else I think.

Ibblebibble

Visit site
sorry but I'd be gone, can't hack out alone?? sorry but you pay for a service and being dictated to isn't part of that. And as someone has already said, if you can't hack alone and can't use the school, when and where are you supposed to ride??

In Limbo

New User
Visit site
Regarding hacking out alone - I think YO was thinking of the country roads. The hacking isn’t great - it’s mostly roads which themselves aren’t very safe (very narrow and windy, lot’s of hidden corners and boy racers). I think if I was to push the situation, she would let me hack out alone. I haven’t raised the subject though because horse 1 doesn’t hack out alone and horse 2 is unbroken. Oh and the yard is full of all adults. At 21, I am the youngest.

Grazing - YO said the fields we are in are completely different in the summer. The grass they have is very rich and most liveries turn out 24/7 in the summer months. I can’t ask to switch fields into the better ones as those are used for her own horses and their sheep.

The smaller problems (rubber matting, broken head collar, ripped rug etc) wouldn’t bother me that much if the arena/grazing were adequate. Because I can’t really ride and the grazing is poor, all the small things are getting to me as well.

Arena - Last summer the arena was hired out by a couple of riding clubs, so it must have been in half decent condition. The yard is based in an open area of the countryside which is quite high up, so they seem to get the brunt of all the bad weather. The arena is starting to dry out a bit which is a good sign, so I think it would be fine to use in the summer. It’s just that I don’t want to have to go through the exact same thing next winter. I couldn’t go the whole winter not being able to ride.

The prices for full livery are competitive, but they aren’t in any way cheap, so I’d expect more for my money really.

I agree with the posters who said I should have asked more questions and generally been more thorough. That is definitely fault on my part. It is the first time I have had to do this - thought I had been thorough enough, but I have learned for next time.

Will need to speak to my mum and see what she wants to do.