Don't know what to do!

Noodles_3

Visit site
One of my friends had a lovely little black dales type pony, 4 year old who he invited me to hack out. Now I haven't ridden in a couple of years as I have lost quite a lot of confidence with horses and riding but I took him up on his offer and found the pony I rode to be absolutely lovely! He was so steady, laid back and great in traffic and in open spaces. Perfect. My friend welcomed me to come ride whenever I wanted but being me, I didn't like to ask or take advantage. Anyway a week later I got a message to say said pony had been sold. I was a little disappointed as he's the only pony in ages that made me feel safe but as I wasn't too attached I wasn't too heart broken.
Anyway browsing horse ads today and this pony crops up for 3 days share a week right near my house! I also found out he is owned by someone I know, though not a friend or anything. The only thing they want is 3 days riding and no chores. I kept re reading the ad and thought stuff it go for it, message the owner. Bearing in mind my confidence is so low and I really wasn't looking for a horse or share or anything ! It's just this pony stood out to me and made an impact so I thought it wouldn't hurt just to ask. I explained that if she needed any help I am quite happy to come down but I was 100% honest and said please keep me at the bottom of your choices because I will admit now I am no longer confident like I used to be and I only really enjoy steady hacks on a quiet pony, explained id ridden hers and he met this criteria.
Anyway she has since got back to me and said he's not been ridden for a while as he tried jumping a fence out the field and cut himself bad and since then has been a bit spooky when ridden but she said with plenty of riding she thinks he will go back to being the perfect pony he was before, she bought him for this reason too as I believe she's a bit like me with confidence and wanting something steady. My friend who had him before hacked him everywhere for miles so this is out of character, the pony was unflappable before. He was bought in April, could he still be unsettled in his new home?
I don't know what to do now though as I know how great he can be but I don't think I've got the guts to even work him through his 'spooky' moments at the minute. But having said that I don't know how bad he is spooking as one persons bad is another's good etc.. I can't imagine he's bad but I don't know what to do! I don't want to say I'm interested and waste time if I get on him and don't feel I've got the balls to ride him through it. In the next breath , should I pass up on a pony that is located so close to me and can be the perfect gent ? I'm so out of touch with the horse world at the minute with a long break I just don't know what to do.
Back in the day I never had this problem, id happily jump on the ponies no one wanted to ride and bomb about, jumping and what not! Now I'm a shadow of this person :( losing your confidence sucks.

Dave's Mam

Visit site
I say go for it. Lunge before riding to take the edge off, perhaps?
I was totally lacking in confidence when I took the plunge back into riding & I won't lie, it took time, but I now feel miles better!
Having a lesson with the pony might help too.
Good luck & have faith.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Why not go and see how spooky the pony really is? It is always possible that he is reacting to his new owner's nerves - sometimes when you have had to deal with a nasty injury, it can affect the way you feel about doing other things with the horse, in case it gets injured again. You have only the same lack of confidence in your own ability that you had before. Could you try the pony somewhere in an enclosed space before taking him out on a hack?
It seems, that on paper, this would be the perfect arrangement for all 3 of you.

Suec04

Visit site
What's the worse that can happen? you don't get on like you did before, so you say no. go for it! lifes to short for regrets :) oh and have lessons on him too :)

LittleMonster

Visit site
Go and have a look :)
then you can conclude your decision,
his is what i did i was umming and arring and i thought ****** it went up tried K out and thougt why not! he is spooky out hacking sometimes but i now know when as i stuck to the school for a while to get the feel of him

Noodles_3

Visit site
Thank you all! Having asked further questions she has just said she's just moved to another yard 3 weeks ago, this yard isn't far from me either so the distance doesn't worry me but sounds like this could well be the reason. I asked how bad the spooking is, she said nothing bad just a little bit jumpy and looky. That doesn't put me off! I've said to her I'm here if she wants me to come down and see him and we will go from there so just see what happens now. I've been honest about my confidence because I didn't want to get there and be like oh no it's not for me and time waste. I like to be upfront with people and honest about my current capabilities!

If it does go ahead, which im not sure if it will or not, I'd definitely look at having lessons on him. It's strange because my confidence is to pot more out hacking even though I enjoy that more but in a school I am fine!

Thank you to those who have taken their time to reply, I appreciate it. It's given me that little kick I needed to take it one step further. If it doesn't work out or go ahead, at least I know I've given it a shot :) Also if nothing comes of the share, I think I'm ready to go back into riding/horses now so will probably take some lessons at my local RS until something else comes up for me.