Don't like dobbing in my neighbours but...

scruffyponies

Visit site
...had to report a shoot this morning for shooting straight over us as we rode down a public road.

That's TOWARDS the road, TOWARDS the horses and right over the heads of a group of riders, including children, from less than 50ft away.

And yes, they could see us; we'd been in plain sight coming down the road for some distance. :(

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
Couple of seasons ago I got caught up in a shoot where they were shooting over the road when I was riding along. They could see me too. Even had a shot pheasant nearly land on me :( Years ago the shoots were all really polite and would wait until you were past them. Not any more :(

Pinkvboots

Visit site
That's bad I think it should be reported, the shot near us are the most ignorant idiots I have ever had the pleasure of knowing, they have the right to shoot behind my house and they often walk along my fence line shooting, I have asked them countless times to let me know when they do as my horses go berserk as they are so close, but they never do the last time I had birds coming down in my field my dog was so terrified she hid under the bed in my spare room and was shaking, the horses were galloping around like lunatics and when I went out there to complain I was called a liar as there was no way dead birds had fallen in my field, I had to physically go pick one up and show them got no apology nothing.

zaminda

Visit site
I remember riding out for someone and nearly getting shot while on their land. The guy roared at the shooters who said they had the land owners permission. As he said not **oody likely I'm the land owner! Rude and ignorant and not an isolated incident sadly. Hope you get somewhere reporting them.

sport horse

Visit site
Hazard of the time of year I guess. We were backing a young horse this morning when all hell let loose, multpile gun shots, dogs and even a hunting horn!! We left the horse for this afternoon! It was on my neighbours land. The previous managers of the shoot notified me without fail by visiting in person and brought loads of Christmas goodies as a thank you - i don't eat Pheasant which was also offered.

What has happened to old fashioned courtesy?

Clodagh

Visit site
There are so many urban syndicates shooting nowadays, have gun will travel. No idea of etiquette or even basic manners.
I think it is a sign of the way society is going, look at the people out hunting now with all the gear, no idea and no manners.
I had a pheasant hit my horse once (dead). I go shooting but did think that was bloody stupid.

Clodagh

Visit site
Just checked with OH and it is illegal to discharge a gun across a highway, as you do not own the land there. You could stand next to a highway and fire away from it. Trouble is, how would the police prove who actually fired the gun?

Apercrumbie

Visit site
We had similar problems with a local shoot - firing over the lane and also firing from the lane. We didn't report it as it's a small community and we didn't have the energy at the time, but we definitely should have done. Let us know how you get on OP.

JFTDWS

Visit site
This happened to me a few years back - the pony never really got over it, and is still very gun shy now. Which is very inconvenient as there are shoots everywhere! People are such knobs.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
There are so many urban syndicates shooting nowadays, have gun will travel. No idea of etiquette or even basic manners.
I think it is a sign of the way society is going, look at the people out hunting now with all the gear, no idea and no manners.
I had a pheasant hit my horse once (dead). I go shooting but did think that was bloody stupid.

Yep, sadly it has become a sport that is attractive to the average idiot with ideas of country grandeur and a few quid in their pocket.