Don't under-estimate a novice OH

Marquire

Visit site
I took an 18 year old mare on loan for my novice OH in June. She had been a Grade A showjumper in her youth but had really done nothing much for over a year as she has spavins and had a lot of time off due to this. When we got her she was overweight, under-muscled, stiff as a board and to be honest a bit depressed.

Anyway, he has been pootling around on her, lots of walk hacks and one 30 minute session in the school per week. TBH I'm don't watch him schooling as he usually does it when I'm having a lesson in the other arena and in my head I imagined him just ambling around for half an hour.

Anyway last night I had a lesson booked with my dressage trainer but when I got the yard, Grumpy McGrump had pulled off a front shoe. I was all for going home to drink a bottle of wine in disgust when I thought 'Why don't I take OH's mare for a lesson instead'.

Well it was quite a humbling experience. The mare was fantastic, worked long and low for the whole 45 minutes, was super bendy, leg yielded from the slightest pressure and it felt like I was riding a 5 year old not a horse who will be 19 this year. My trainer had not seen the mare for over a year and could not believe the difference in her. She started to congratulate me on all the work I'd must have put in on her and I was forced to admit I hadn't even sat on her until the lesson last night.

I feel quite guilty for assuming that my OH was more of a passenger than a rider. He is obviously a lot less of a novice than I gave him credit for.

Marie

JAK

Visit site
Would madam like a side salad to go with her 'humble pie'?
grin.gif

Well done to your OH - sounds like they have a nice relationship going there, for her to be going so well & she's obviously very happy, isn't she?
laugh.gif

Marquire

Visit site
I'd much prefer a sweet humble pie if that's possible, preferably with a little ice cream!

The mare has a totally new lease of life and thinks she is the bees knees- especially when OH bought her (completely off his own back) a fly rug and mask because he was 'worried about her being bothered by bugs'. You should have seen her parading around the mare's field like it was Paris fashion week. I've never seen anything so funny.

She has completely changed my attitude to older horses and wouldn't think twice about taking on something as old as her again.

Marie

Marquire

Visit site
(Un)fortunately he watch my lesson last night so his head was rather inflated by all the praise my trainer was raining on him.

I did tell him how impressed I was by the improvements he'd made in her. On the way home he announced that he'd like to ride my boy once a week so he can improve his riding by riding more than one horse.

I may have inadvertently created a monster.

MissDeMeena

Visit site
This post kinda ties in nicely with the "natural riders" one else where!.. your OH is obviously a natural!!

My dad had never even met a horse before he met my mum, within two years, he was winning point-2-points! and competing aff. what is now BE eventing
smile.gif