Don't use metal cattle type hay feeders in fields

sojeph

Visit site
Thats awful!!
frown.gif

S_N

Visit site
Oh that's a horrid story!!

Unfortunately I saw WAY too many horses that had been hit by lightening in Kentucky - we once lost to mares and their foals to lightening strikes - they wern't even in the same field, but were about a mile apart. Was horrid!!

pagancluf

Visit site
Oh no horrible. What do you think is the best when storms are due - bring them in? or leave out without anything metal than the gate? I never am too sure.

RobinHood

Visit site
That's terrible that poor boy has lost his pony, I wouldn;t even have described it as a bad storm, as you said there was one flash of lightning and one peal of thunder. Makes you think doesn't it...

S_N

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Oh no horrible. What do you think is the best when storms are due - bring them in? or leave out without anything metal than the gate? I never am too sure.

[/ QUOTE ]

ONce the new stables are done, then I say bring em in, but the stables I have atm are bottom 1/2 breeze block and top half corrugated iron - so I reckon mine are safer out for now! Plus they are not in an exposed area - not like the last yard they were at!

6103claire

Visit site
My two horses were killed by lightening in their field in the summer, near Chesterfield, Derbys. They were stood together in the middle of the field, not near trees or anything. They weren't hit by the lightening, so it must have hit the ground near them. Obviously, using things such as metal hay feeders increases the chance of lightening striking, but at the end of the day if it strikes , it strikes, and i just know that i wont ever go out in a storm, because if i had gone out that day i would have been killed too. Now i have a new 4yr old, and i would try and bring her in if there was a storm but at the same time, if it hits the stables they could set on fire, and this could be even worse. I think the only thing you can do is hope that it doesnt strike, and if it does then you cant stop it and i just like to think that it must have been the best way for them to go as it was instant and they wouldnt have known a thing.

airedale

Visit site
Lightning needs something 'tall' in an other wise flat landscape and (or) something metallic to strike to (hence golfers getting killed by standing under trees in a thunderstorm).

However I think this shows that stabling is safer than out in a field in a storm such as this. Also living out at night, with the reports of horse thefts rising dramatically, horse attacks also increasing dramatically this year, seems to be a far from safe option for our horses.

nice for them to live 'au naturel' it may be but - and it's a big but - can we now, with horse thieves, horse slashers, and climate change any longer afford to 'indulge' ourselves in this and still be happy that we are doing the best for our horses.

Personally none of mine are out at night and the stables are concrete block. I would never ever ever forgive myself if I left one out at night and something happened to it when I had a safe stable to put it in.

I also haven't ridden out in a t'storm for years as someone I knew 40 years ago or so - a long time ago anyway - was struck by lighting due to the metal stirrup irons...........she survivied but gave up riding afterwards. The horse died due to its shoes making good electrical contact with the ground.

priroc

New User
Visit site
As the owner of one of the ponies killed by lightning strike I would like to make one thing very clear. There was no metal hay feeder in the field when our boys were struck. A new hay bale had just gone out and because our boys were the field leaders they were tucking in first
The death of these four has devastated all of us. We all had great expectations with the four boys as they were all young and talented.
As a mother of four girls I hope I never ever have tell my children their pony has died again. My eldest daughter, who predominately rode Prince, was having a sleepover at a friends house and they were all planning to go for a hack on the Sunday. I needed to get to her before she went up the yard and she was hysterical when I broke the news to her. She told me recently that she still cries herself to sleep at night.
I was extremely proud of Prince, he was a beautifully bred Section C with a real talent for jumping. Jess and Prince were really forming a partnership. I will never forget the huge grin on her face when he jumped a clear round at 2'3" the previous weekend.
We will eventually get a new pony and I will continue to keep it at grass. We all believe it was the best life for our boys and they were all happy and contented. It was just a case of wrong place at the wrong time.