Don't you just love proving people wrong?

LauraBR

Visit site
I guess there must be an equivalent at every big yard- you know, the person who always likes to have their penny's worth, the person who despite being the first to offer a ream of (unsought) advice- would love to see you do badly/something wrong with your horse etc etc... first to leap on any opportunity to "in a friendly way" put you down or criticise your horse/your riding/your horse care... anything really.

Anyway... I've been a bit worried about ned's back recently for a number of smallish reasons (most of which can probably be attributed to his dental issues). Asked a few friends for their advice and straightaway this person is over saying how she thought my horse looked lame/stiff/unlevel making me worry all the more. Tried explaining that ned is VERY lazy and can look unlevel when really he is just not putting the effort in but got a whole load back about he was probably in so much pain he didn't want to work
confused.gif

Got vet out today to do full back/soundness check for my own piece of mind...

WOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! Nothing wrong with him. Vet flexion tested him the lot.... not a thing wrong apart from the fact he's a lazy sod! Best vet around here too imho.

So, now I'll have an answer to those who like to worry me.

AND I'm thrilled because I didn't vet him and I've always worried that I didn't- he's 100% sound even after flexion
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
!

Sorry... random post!

Irishcobs

Visit site
Wow, not a lot of horses are sound after flexion. Thats great.
It feels good putting the know it alls noses out of joint doesn't it.
grin.gif

Chex

Visit site
It does feel good! I hate when you have a slight worry, and after speaking to other people - before you know it your horse has a knackered back, legs, in huge amounts of pain etc! Its good to get the vet out and confirm thats its not something serious after all.

LauraBR

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Wow, not a lot of horses are sound after flexion. Thats great.
It feels good putting the know it alls noses out of joint doesn't it.
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm thrilled, not like me at all to have a totally sound horse lol!

Not so much pleased to put noses out of joint, just pleased I don't have to take their comments to heart and worry about them anymore.
grin.gif

RunToEarth

Visit site
Oh thats super news
smile.gif
I loved proving my ex livery wrong. When she left the yard on less than great circumstances she scalded that ignoring her (unsought) advice would prove the breaking point of my horse, and that under no circumstances would he showjump. He did, and he came third last week to her 6th...

ruscara

Visit site
That is great - not really to prove the other person wrong, but for your own peace of mind. It's horrible when you are wondering if they're OK. You don't want to push them in case it is hurting them, and you are ready to forgive any laziness or naughtiness in case it is a symptom of something being wrong.
Now you will be able to get on and do some work with him with a completely clear conscience, and that will feel great!
smile.gif

Fiona

Visit site
When we were buying our grey mare (as a 3yo) our vet happened to say that he passed very few horses that were over 6 years old, that there was normally some little degree of wear and tear etc which made a horse 98% rather than 100%.
I am really glad to hear that your boy is in this exclusive group, and I hope that you make a point of telling your interfering fellow livery (in the nicest possible way obviously) what your vet said.
Best of luck with him.
Fiona

LauraBR

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
our vet happened to say that he passed very few horses that were over 6 years old, that there was normally some little degree of wear and tear etc which made a horse 98% rather than 100%.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I'm sure he isn't actually '100%' no wear and tear nothing- this wasn't a vetting it was a back check with flexion tests to rule out hidden lameness as a cause for 'lazy' behaviour.

Just pleased my horse is sound
grin.gif

Fiona

Visit site
But if he had been 9/10 rather than 10/10 in any way he would have told you I think.

If he didn't find anything even after flexions, then thats as good as a full vetting in my opinion.

Fiona

filly190

Visit site
I would perhaps distance myself a little and not seek advice or enter into long discussions about your horse. At the end of the day, we all acquire a knowledge base and all our lifes learn more, sometimes a little knowledge is dangerous in the fact that some people think they know it all.

Yards are difficult, but you need to do, is enjoy your horse and stop letting other people worry you. By getting the vet out you have sorted it correctly and its now time to move forwards.

Put yourself and your horse first and ignore the yard policitcs as much as possible. You work hard to earn the luxary of having a horse, enjoy it for yourself and dont let them spoil things for you.

the watcher

Visit site
Great that your horse has turned out to be ok, not so great that you will actually enjoy pointing this out to the other livery, who for all we know was only trying to be helpful. by all means tell her that your horse has had the all clear, and thank her for her advice..but try not to gloat..it won't reflect well on you in the future and when you might really need telling something one day, people MIGHT be wary of doing it

Gingernags

Visit site
You are right, it is great. The yard stuck up b*tches from our old yard all slagged my ginger one off - "dishes horribly" "brain dead" "will show yourselves up" "not good enough" about the BSPS champs - well NER Asti qualified - they didn't, Asti was winning County Level - they weren't (and beat one of them hands down), we went to the champs and held our heads up and WERE NOT shown up at all - where were they? Nowhere to be seen - didn't even get there.

Its great isn't it??? Did you feel the need to stick your tongue out at them or flick them a V sign???

LauraBR

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Great that your horse has turned out to be ok, not so great that you will actually enjoy pointing this out to the other livery, who for all we know was only trying to be helpful. by all means tell her that your horse has had the all clear, and thank her for her advice..but try not to gloat..it won't reflect well on you in the future and when you might really need telling something one day, people MIGHT be wary of doing it

[/ QUOTE ]

hmmm
confused.gif

Perhaps I have painted the wrong picture of myself
confused.gif
this person doesn't even know the vet has been and 'gloating' is not my style at all, the 'triumph' was a personal one and the 'proving wrong' celebration was in my own head- e.g. not worrying anymore and resting safe in the knowledge my ned is ok.
grin.gif

BUT, if further comments are made I will take pleasure in cheerily but politely and diplomatically telling her how thrilled I am that the vet said that he is fine.

Just re-read my posts and can't see how people have got such a negative impression
confused.gif
shocked.gif
blush.gif

Ho hum...
smile.gif

X

xspiralx

dw Izt, only one person got that impression!

sounds great! glad you're happy, and its great when people are interfering busybodies and you prove them wrong!