Double Mouth Piece Bits?

Munchie

Visit site
bits1343.jpg

To all you bitting experts out there,

Does anyone know what they are used for, the action they have etc?

Came across one the other day. They don't look particulary comfortable to me but I could be wrong?

Thank you
grin.gif

Sooty

Visit site
Good grief! I have no idea what the action is, but it does look a bit of a mouthful, and it looks as if it could be pinchy. I looks like some part of the design stage for a French link! I hope someone knows, I am curious too now.

Frazer

Visit site
Ive ridden in one of them, its called something like a double mouthed jointed snaffle if i remember. All i know is it is very strong and serve and shouldn't be used in the same as a normal snaffle. I think it works the same as a normal snaffle just in a harsher way. Hope you find out more informaiton

druid

Visit site
Horrid unpleasant bits. Designed as a very blunt braking system. Should, imo, never get anywhere near a horse's mouth

flyingfeet

Visit site
Double mouth bits have their place though - this mouthpeice is used most often in polo in the form of a barry gag.

It gives unsurpassed braking power - the action is to crush the horses tongue. However not one to be used to try and get any sort of outline!

Whilst yes its a 'nasty bit', can be used to cure horses that bolt without ripping their mouths.

oldbear

Visit site
This bit is also known as a scissor bit.
As mentioned it crushes the toungue like a pair of scissors.
It certainly does not work like a normal double snaffle does due to having different length s on the mouthpiece.
This bit unfortunatly is made twisted which as you can imagine is horrific.
It is used in polo a lot as a gag (help).........................