Downgrading

Tempi

Visit site
following on from my post in NL, when downgrading in BD does the horse keep its BD points then?

Can someone please tell me how it works, as i thought the horse lost its points and you just started from the beginning again, obviously i was wrong!!

Also then what happens if said horse has two riders and you want to downgrade the horse for one of the other riders to be able to compete it at a lower level? Can the other (better rider) still carry on competing horse at a higher level, whilst someone else competes it at a lower level?

If this makes sense to anyone its a miricle!! i know what im getting at but its really hard to explain!
confused.gif

i replied in the NL but here it is again.......

well it could be that but then the horse does not have 250 points anymore - when they downgrade a horse they remove it's points!!!!
you can have them reinstated but if the horse is currently graded elementary then it currently does not have 250 points

when you ask for points to be reinstated they go back to the max a horse has ever had at one time

eg if a horse has 300 points and is sold to someone who wants to downgrade it and BD agreed to downgrade to say 150 points then the rider gains 20 points so it now has 170 points then you could say:
170 points can compete med open (downgraded horses can't compete rest at any level). but horse has won 300 points.

if the points are reinstated then it looses the 20 it won in the middle ie would go back to 300 not 320.

but to be honest unless it has already been downgraded then you wouldn't say that it can be downgraded because all horses can as long as the new rider is elligable.

they may mean that it has been downgraded and therefore graded elem open but it's max ever points is 250 so you can go back to that if you want.

i have just put my horse on loan and she is being downgraded back to novice open and when she comes back to me if she has less points than she did when she went i will have them reinstated (obviously if the new rider copetes alot and progresses quickly then she might overtake the amount of points she went with - when this is the case you cannot reverse the downgrading. you would have to downgrade again seperately to go back to less!!!!!!!!!!!

the bit about two riders.........no!!!

when a horse is downgraded each case is assesed by BD so take a horse with 300 points for one rider who has never affiliated before they may agree to 100 points but for the same horse for a rider with some competing experience they might only downgrade to 170 points.
so if the downgraded horse is then competed by someone, else (who has a lower rider ranking ie better) at a higher level then bd will say the downgrade was not for them (even if they are competing at a level that they could do even if the horse was not downgraded because BD will argue (correctly) that it gives that rider way longer in that level because they have so many points to plat with) and that all the points have to be reinstated, hence the other person cannot ride at lower levels.

hope this makes sense
tongue.gif

Peaches

Visit site
If you downgrade a horse it depends on the rider grouping of the rider taking over - so eg a Group 8 rider ie not won points at Novice level, could downgrade a Grand Prix, or indeed any horse to 40 points so would not be able to do Prelim but would be able to do Open Novice (must be open, not restricted)
A group 7 rider can downgrade to 60 points, group 6 to 135 points, group 5 to 235 points & group 4 to 310 points. There is no leeway in this its set in the rulebook.

If another rider of a higher group competes the horse after downgrading then the horse reverts to the highest points it has ever had (this is probably the pre downgrading points but not necessarily if its won a lot since downgrading) So not a good idea if you want to share the ride with a higher grouped rider.

Just to make sure it is clear - assessment is a totally different thing & only available for imported horses. Imported horses are allocated a number of points based on their age when imported to the UK - if this is inappropriate for the horses level of training then you can have the horse assessed by one of a BD panel & they MAY award it lower points. Assessed horses keep those points no matter who rides them - it is not rider dependant.