Downward Transitions - always a fight

Miss Tipps

Visit site
Hi

I posted a few weeks ago when my new horse had just arrived and was having terrible braking problems and general issues with him tanking off etc. This has mostly settled down now, but I'm still having such trouble riding downward transitions (apart from canter to trot).

As soon as I ask for the change, the second he feels any additional pressure from my hands he just sticks his head forward and pulls against me. I’ve tried riding the transition with just seat and leg, but that just isn’t happening (although that could be me as much as him). He does respond to my voice to a degree, but the whole thing is just slow, sloppy and anything but a forward transition.

At the end of the day its going to be schooling and schooling and yet more, but if anyone does have any useful tips, experiences I’d be pleased to hear from you.

Many thanks

Kelly1982

Visit site
I am having this trouble with my youngster as well, she does exactly what your horse does.

I have just been doing LOADS of transistions with her at different points in the school. I have been really using my seat with her rather than my hands. As soon as she stops and softens then i tell her she is a good girl and walk her on. If she goes to pull me then i ask for halt and wait for her to soften again. I keep doing this until she walks of nicely. She is starting to get the hang of it now and as soon as she feels me tense then she stops.

Sometimes she does forget though and i have to used my whole body weight to stop her but she is getting better.

My instructor also suggested upgrading the bit for a while to get her to respect me more but i haven't done this yet.

darksecret99

Visit site
I have found it really useful to imagine what it would feel like to do the perfect transition and think of that as you do it - without realising it, your seat and hands will do what they should do and your transitions should be much improved!

But yeah... practice makes perfect!!

Dont forget to reward him when he does well, so he knows what you want from him too!

4whitesocks

Visit site
what about going back to basics and using a neck strap? Not the best at explaining things so I'm sure someone else will explain properly but often used by kids on too strong ponies - basically use both hands (keep hold of reins), pull neckstrap into belly and release as soon as a response is felt.
Practise in walk trot first...

When they've got the idea, it can be used to 'adjust' the pace before it gets too keen.
The key is to remember to release as soon as the horse 'gives'

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
I think you'll find that this is a balance issue. Doing transitions is fine but do loads of leg yielding. This will encourage the horse to bring its hocks underneath itself and thus be better in balance. Additionaly ride 20metre circles & then spiral in & then gradually spiral out. Initially the horse will probably rebel against this because it will find it difficult but persevere with it & you will eventually see & feel the improvement i all transitions. Good luck
smile.gif

Petrie

Visit site
It is just time and effort, I'm afraid, and it sounds like you're along the right lines by trying to ride him forward into the transition with you legs and seat.

The thing is though, he does need to obey you, and although it's very easy to say you mustn't use too much hand, until he's listening to you, you might have to do some pretty strong half halts, using your hand too, but always pressure and release rather than pulling.

You didn't say how old he is or what is level of schooling is? If he's a baby, he may not quite understand what you mean, especially if you are trying to ride him forward into the transition.

If he's older and schooled to a higher level, then yes, he could also be confused, but he may also be being disobedient.

It's really hard to say what you should do without knowing much about him or seeing him, but from my own experience, if my 10 yr old who is schooled to medium level does this, he gets very short shrift from me and gets some very strong downward transitions until he listens to me again. He does know better, and does downward transitions just from the seat, so he needs to be reminded.

If my 4 year old does it, I'm a little more sympathetic! I will work him long and low, do lots of upward and downward transitions with lots of half halts beforehand. I try not to pull back at him if he pokes his nose out, but I do vibrate my fingers. The key is to keep him soft and relaxed, long and low, then he just automatically does nicer downward transitions.

Miss Tipps

Visit site
Thanks guys for all of your advice. He's 10, so no baby and I don't think for a second he doesn't understand what I'm asking from him.

I am basically doing just lots and lots of slow lateral work with him just now which is getting him to flex (and think) nicely.

Petrie - when you say "very strong downward transitions", what do you mean by that? I find that when I think "very strong" on him, it just translates into "major fight" and thats what I'm desperately trying to avoid.