DR saddle buying? - riding in a dual flap after using mono flap saddles?

becca1305

Visit site
I've started shopping for a DR saddle for my mare. I've only ridden in mono flaps for the past 4+ years, jump mono on my mare, DR mono on gelding. I've put together a shortlist of saddles that I like the look of as a starting point to trial BUT, 6 of my on paper top 10 saddles are dual flaps. My saddler is a stockist for all the brands I would like to try, but he is quite a distance away so the fewer trips the better, however I don't want to waste his time asking him to get all these saddles in then riding in a couple and discovering I don't like dual flaps :eek:...

So, has anyone gone from riding in a mono DR saddle and then bought or started riding in a dual? or rides in both mono and dual flap DR saddles? Your experiences would be great to hear about please :).

Also I imagine some duals are more bulky than others? the duals I have listed to try are: Ideal Suzannah, Kieffer Paris, Prestige Optimax, Prestige Academy, Equipe Rose special and Equipe Elegance (I assume these 2 are dual, it didn't actually specifically say anywhere, unless I'm blind!:eek:).

Has anyone ridden in the above saddles? or - a Black Country Vinici, Amerigo Vega special mono flap version, Prestige Venus K, Amerigo Cortina Pinerolo mono flap version. These are the mono flaps I picked out as liking :).

any opinions of any of these saddles pls? :). I know some if you buy new are quite flexible in terms of the dimensions you can have made, but ideally with most I would like to buy standard off the peg second hand models if feasible. Would any of these off the peg models suit a tall rider? Average build, 5ft11ish, long femurs.

I know saddles are very much a case of trial and error for the horse and rider, and what you like might not necessarily suit, but I would just like to find a starting point :). Any opinions on saddles/ riding in a dual flap dressage saddle compared to mono flaps gratefully received :).

be positive

Visit site
I have one in the yard that has gone from a mono to dual flap, until I read your post it had not even occurred to me that it could be a problem, I and also his rider, have no problems, the saddle fits so the horse is going better.
It is a matter of preference but really at the end of the day whatever suits the horse will usually feel best to ride in as long as it fits the rider.

The same horse has just got a new Vega jump saddle, it is a beautiful saddle, no idea about the dressage one though.

becca1305

Visit site
thanks :) I probably am worrying without due cause, I only really thought about it after I'd made the list of saddles I liked the look of and then had a 'hmmm..' moment. Its good to know you didn't have any difficulties and didn't even notice the change except for the positives :D.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I went the other way - traditional dressage saddle to mono and didn't notice a difference, so I can't imagine it would be a problem assuming the new saddle basically fits you.

It made a colossal difference to me going from dual flap to monoflap jumping saddle but that's because the girth is no longer under my leg - not an issue with a dressage saddle anyway.

becca1305

Visit site
thankyou :) Ive not looked at KN saddles so will look now :).

Oh thats good to know :D. I was wondering about that because going from dual to mono flap jump saddle also made a huge difference to me when I first did it, but as you say dual DR is different design anyway. I've just never ridden in one to compare to mono! I think I am likely going to bite the bullet and ask him to get them in for me to trial :). Thanks.