Drag Hunts - some info please

vicm2509

Visit site
Could some of you kind people point me in the right direction as to where I can get info on Drag Hunts. I have never been hunting or seen a hunt before (only on the tele) but im quite interested in having a go.

My horse as far as im aware has never been on one before either. Are they any ways I can tell if hes suitable for a hunt before I go?

So what is involved, how long do they usually last and where can i find out if there are any local to me?

Im so sorry if I sound really think its just no one on my yard seems to be able to shed any light on it either.

Tempi

Visit site
Contact your local pony or riding club, they will tell you where they are. You need a level headed horse, one thats not bothered by others charging up his backside and charging past him, also he will have to be good at queing for jumps and waiting his turn. (and having to jump round people that have stopped at the fence!!)

You can go for however long you want, meets are normally at 11am then it goes on til around 4ish, but you can leave and go home when you want, just make sure you say 'goodnight' to the master on leaving. Id get a book on hunting etiquette as there is a few things that need to be learnt!!

Heidi1

Visit site
Contact your local Pony Club or Local Riding Magazine, here in Nottingham we have Equestrian Life, all dates are in there.

Meets tend to start around here at 12.30pm and last for around 4 hours, with a 15 minute break and refreshment. General Hunting etiquette is much appreciated by the hunt staff i.e dress, manners (both you and horse) etc....

You will have good fun and meet lots of new people..........

Good luck and enjoy yourself.

Clodagh

Visit site
I know nothing about drag hunting, but there is a Drag Hounds Association, try googling it.
If its 'proper' hunting within the law you need to look at the MFHA website.

Have fun!

vic07

Visit site
I was always told that drag hunting was alot quicker than blood hounding!

If you want to read some reports and see some pictures of bloodhounding, you can look google the coakham bloodhounds. I did this before I went to gauge whether we would cope. Obviously every hunt is different with different country.

Conventional dragging and bloodhounding involves lines, can involve fences etc. They are about 5 minutes long but you can go as slow as you want. Then you sit around and have a drink before riding to the next line, generally about 3 or 4 a day.

New dragging, i.e with the old fox hounds has been much more informal at my hunt. The last time we went out we galloped everywhere for about 2 hour, without let up, at which point I went home - it wasn't for me. I don't know how other hunts are coping. But I found this was exhausting on horses and not very educational.

There is usually a good guide in horse and hound which gives info on hunts.

Hope this helps. Most horses love hunting - I sure yours will have a great time!

sorona

Visit site
I found the link below helpful to me before i went hunting. It is for the new forest hounds but the same rules apply on most hunts.
If your horse has coped on sponsored rides in large groups, that is a bonus. Yes, he will need to get used to horses being in close proximity to him and possibly bumping into him and will definetly need to be good with the hounds.
The day can last from anything between 3 hours to about 6, depending on how well the hounds go and how many trails are laid but you can leave at any time once you bid goodnight.
Most people are very welcoming to newcomers and will help you out but it is important to know the basics before going for your safety and enjoyment!

http://www.newforesthounds.co.uk/notes.html

Also i found a link for other packs so you might be able to find a local one!

http://www.newforesthounds.co.uk/uk_hunts.html