Dragging feet?

Ellietotz

Visit site
Good morning everyone!

Just a quick question as I am paranoid about everything my mare does! I find sometimes when riding that she will drag one back foot, only once, like she just slipped on something. It happens so rarely, she's so sharp and can literally go full speed over any terrain without tripping or putting a foot wrong or do the tightest turn. It only ever happens, if at all, when heading away from home out hacking whilst waking up, as soon as she perks up, it never happens again. Could it just be laziness or be an actual problem? Knowing my luck, it's probably an issue.

Would be grateful for your thoughts on this :)

Ellietotz

Visit site
Many many things cause dragging feet , hock pain is probably the most common .

It rarely happens, maybe once every 5 rides, only when just starting our hack and one of her backs will seem like she's slipped on something but I always look back and never see anything so assume she just didn't pick up her foot properly. I always make sure we walk for at least 10/15 minutes before picking up the pace so she's warmed up properly. Is it likely to be hock pain? How can I find out and how do you treat? Thank you!

WandaMare

Visit site
I would ask a physio to come and walk behind and see what's she's doing if you are worried. She might have a small twinge there which loosens off when she gets going, but if she is sound the rest of the time then hopefully its nothing to worry about.

exracehorse

Visit site
My ex racer dragged his rear right hoof. Could hear it in trot. Then he started to slide from behind every now and then as if he'd slipped on a banana peel. Worst in sand school. It turned out to be hock spavins and arthritis in fetlock

Goldenstar

Visit site
It rarely happens, maybe once every 5 rides, only when just starting our hack and one of her backs will seem like she's slipped on something but I always look back and never see anything so assume she just didn't pick up her foot properly. I always make sure we walk for at least 10/15 minutes before picking up the pace so she's warmed up properly. Is it likely to be hock pain? How can I find out and how do you treat? Thank you!

It's usually starts as an intermittent thing .
Only a vet diagnose what's wrong with a horse anybody else is breaking the law if they do .

WandaMare

Visit site
Maybe she is stretching it out, or pushing off flies, difficult when you can't see. Its odd it happens so infrequently.

The reason I ask my physio about things like this is that with her trained eye and knowledge of anatomy, she can describe exactly what is happening accurately, I wouldn't expect her to diagnose anything. I can then pass on a comprehensive picture to the vet, should the vet be needed.

[131452]

Visit site
Hi everyone. I'm new here, I've been reading and getting tips and advice on the forum for quite a long time- decided to register as there seems to be so much excellent experience and advise here!
Anyway, re:your question. My boy has a tendency to drag especially his right hind and he also often slaps it down in walk - you'll hear four clips on the Tarmac and then a slap as that foot comes down. He hasn't been x-rayed but my new vet felt on examination that he reacts like a horse with hock arthritis . He's 17 this year and had a rough start to his life so that wouldn't surprise me.
Keeping the back and hamstrings supple would help to keep the surrounding structures supple, if there's hock arthritis present !

Ellietotz

Visit site
Thank you everyone.
It is odd as it is so rare but it is like what exracehorse said, slipping on a banana peel. I hope it is nothing serious but I will keep an eye on it and consider getting a physio/vet out. Went out tonight and it didn't happen, just varies so much.

Ellietotz

Visit site
Hi everyone. I'm new here, I've been reading and getting tips and advice on the forum for quite a long time- decided to register as there seems to be so much excellent experience and advise here!
Anyway, re:your question. My boy has a tendency to drag especially his right hind and he also often slaps it down in walk - you'll hear four clips on the Tarmac and then a slap as that foot comes down. He hasn't been x-rayed but my new vet felt on examination that he reacts like a horse with hock arthritis . He's 17 this year and had a rough start to his life so that wouldn't surprise me.
Keeping the back and hamstrings supple would help to keep the surrounding structures supple, if there's hock arthritis present !

Welcome :)
Thank you for your advice. How did the vet examine and what do you do to keep the areas supple?

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Are her toes worn excessively, is the wear central, is one shoe worn more than the other. Because you might only be picking up on the big scuffs, her general movement might also be a bit like that and shoes tell a good story. Does she kick up surface with her back feet if schooling (if you have a school)?

eventer and proud

Visit site
I would say its just a stiff hock/fetlock. How old is she? It would explain why it only happens at the beginning and as you know with stiff joints some days are better than others.

Ellietotz

Visit site
Are her toes worn excessively, is the wear central, is one shoe worn more than the other. Because you might only be picking up on the big scuffs, her general movement might also be a bit like that and shoes tell a good story. Does she kick up surface with her back feet if schooling (if you have a school)?

Thank you. No, shoes are worn evenly on all four by the end of the cycle, no wear to her toes, beginning to over grow if anything. Doesn't kick up the surface when schooling, rarely trips unless looking at something and not concentrating! She did need back shoes on after a couple of months of just fronts as they were wearing down quickly but it was an even amount all over

Ellietotz

Visit site
I would say its just a stiff hock/fetlock. How old is she? It would explain why it only happens at the beginning and as you know with stiff joints some days are better than others.

She's 13 in a few days. That's what I thought potentially. Although it is more likely to happen if she is feeling hot, fat and lazy! If it happens, it'll happen once right at the start and that's it. When she starts getting into her forward going usual fizzy self, it doesn't happen. If we start a ride on this note, it won't happen at all, or at least, it never has.

riding_high

Visit site
My horse was the same and only way i could describe it was it felt like he slipped on a cow pat for a stride! He wasn't like it everytime he was ridden but i could feel it getting more frequent. He also went a bit flat when jumping.
I got the vet out who found no lameness or sore spots anywhere but accepted i was worried. He watched a video of my horse doing the "slip" and said it was most likely hock so would be back out to inject it at a later date.
I told him i wanted x-rays done so he did it keep me happy but glad i pushed as it showed his hock was ok but he had a spur on his stifle and some inflammation. He injected his stifle last summer and after the initial rest and gentle work he was back to full work. My horse had not had any problems on that hind leg since but his near side hind seems to be going the same way.