Draw Reins..

H-J

www.piczo.com
By reading the "what have you done that HHO's would disagree with" it seems like a lot of people ride in draw reins, I dont disagree with this at all if you can back it up when you dont have them on.

But what I want to know is if anybody has any bad experiences with horse not liking them and rearing etc??

not_with_it

Visit site
Everyhorse I have ridden in them hasnt minded at all. It really is a case of if you know how to use them then they will do the job. When I use them I never ride with them tight, they are just there incase and I always give the rein forward as a reward.

H-J

www.piczo.com
I was thinking of riding my tense highly strung event horse in them, and yes I wouldnt have them tight and would reward him. Just thought they would be good as a little reminder once a week or so.

He is fine being lunged in bungees and possoas from down in between the legs so I would have thought he would be fine.

samp

Visit site
I have a very long warmblood mare that can be less but also quirky. We had her in them for a lesson and we were asking a lot from her in canter wouldn't go off my leg so tapped her, she then did an almighty buck (wehre had she of done another in a dressage saddle think I would have been off). However she had draw reins on I reacted by sending forward and pulling her head up which resulted in her rearing up loosing her balance me jumping off and pulling her over. That was prob 8 weeks a go and has taken me a very long time to regain her trust.
I have ridden my old boy in them that used to tank out hacking. Again went into bucking fit head was too low which resulted in my flying out the saddle. My advice - do not use on bucking horses!

H-J

www.piczo.com
My horse has never bucked and is very forward going, I never use a whip or spurs except when I go XC I take a small whip! So hopefully he should be ok.

charlie76

Visit site
I've only had one horse react to them and rear and in fairness to the horse I think it was more the riders lack of giving with her hands than the draw reins!

I have used them to prevent a horse rearing and it worked well- you must be ready to allow the hand forward at any sign that the horse feels restricted.
Start with them loose and slowly gather them up and ensure you have enough leg on to send the horse forward from leg to hand.

dixie

Visit site
I use them occasionally (once a month ish), but my horse is very laid back.

I use them to encourage him to keep his outline and it is interesting that I can drop the draw reins altogether and he stills stays round rather than poking his nose.

It's worth a try and start off gradually for say 5/10mins if you are unsure.

I_A_P

Visit site
iv started using them with my mare, under the instruction of both of my instrutors who i trust completly, for me its just uts her in her place now and again as she can be very arguementative, iv never had any problems so far, infact she seems very settled in them, and i think as long as u can ride in them and dont just sit there i think it should be fine

Frazer

Visit site
I am pro draw reins, and like many of you have said if you know how to use them, its fine. And they are only as strong as the hands, I used to ride most of my horses + ponies about once a month in draw reins to refresh them! And used them out on hacks, used to get some dirty looks, but the main thing is Does it work for your horse? And does your horse need them

kick_On

Visit site
i have a safety tip for draws riens. Cut them in half and shorten to fit your biggest horse and then back into make them into one rein by using velcro, so if then need to split quick they can.

Weezy

Visit site
Personally never seen a horse rear because of draw reins - all horses are capable of rearing because of a riders hands

I dont see anything wrong with draw reins, but like Sal said, I dont see a lot of benefits either

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
Some horses go well in them, others don't! Not much help to you I'm afraid. PF used to go overbent in them (havne't used them in ages on her) but another of my horses went really well in them and they helped keep her head more or less in the right place. I find a de gogue more effective at that though and I've seen lots and lots of riders here overuse them

milliepup

Visit site
I have ridden in draw reins but my instructor uses them slightly different and not putting between the legs but attaching to the girth so more like side reins. I prefer this way now and think they can be useful if used correctly.

Super_Kat

www.myspace.com
I don't use them on Storm anymore because she's learned to really lean on them and go flat on her forehand. Haven't tried them on Missy yet.

Kat
xx

dieseldog

Visit site
I used to use them on a mare who used to be really upright, but as soon as you put draw reins on would go really long and low, was good for getting her to work in that outline and use her back more, but you didn't have to have them tight. I've never ridden my current horse in them as he doesn't need them.