dreadlock tail, help!

kateknights

Visit site
Hi, I think this applies to cobby owners, my new Irish cob had a very dreadlocked tail, i do brush it out with baby oil and it looks lovely, but the next day it's all dreadlocks again... How can I get rid of them? if i can? What's the best product to use?
Thanks in advance...
Kate x.
confused.gif

Parkranger

Visit site
Go and buy some Gallop Mane and Tail conditioner - spray on, curry comb through everyday and you'll keep the most amazing tail ever!!!!

rach1984horse

Visit site
If you used some kind of conditioner it would maybe help to keep the tail apart. I think that baby oil might stick to dirt rather than repel it, which might be what's sticking it back together. I use Naf D-Tangler. Maybe someone can recommend an actual conditioner that might help though.

vicijp

www.vicijpricehorses.co.uk
If you brush them out without using anything (except soft brush) it usually prevents them from falling straight back into place. I usually wash and put spray on afterwards. Its the long way round but has better long term results.

bellgave

Visit site
I use asborbine show sheen in my cobs tails and that keeps them great, I find that baby oil makes dirt stick to the tail. The show sheen keeps them soft and tangle free and shavings shake out!!! Also you could try using a human hair brush, I use one with stiff plasic bristles, a real cheapo one, but the tails look great!!!

pottamus

Visit site
I use Canter mane and tail spray (or is it Gallop)? Anyway I spray it on and then comb it through . No tangles to deal with and it lasts about a week with just a quick brush through.

Governor

Visit site
Try cheap conditioner from the supermarket (I use apple scented stuff for Gov) to wash, plait it while its wet and when dry brush through with a paddle brush and spray with a bit of Mr.Sheen (outside!).

Most people say not to brush tail hair everyday but I use a human paddle brush to keep Gov's tail knot free and it hadly ever pulls a hair out.

Jay89

Visit site
Wash it then use loads of baby oil on it...so easy to glide through then. And then brush it every day usin mane n tail conditioner...works a treat!!

Christmas_Kate

Visit site
I use a human paddle brush (about a quid from wilkinsons) and find it separates hairs really well, and doesnt split them. I would be wary of using too much conditioner on a tail as it might make it sticky and greasy and actually make the problem worse.

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
Wash tail then spray with Aerbosine Show Sheen (while still wet) and comb through. I have used everything through the years, but this really does seem the best as hair stay silky and doesn't get tacky. I give Sparks tail a quick squirt each time I brush it and it stays in tip top condition.

Fairynuff

Visit site
All the horse products cost a bomb and usually end up a sticky mess.I use clothes softner-the stuff you bung in the washing machine. I mix some up with water in a bucket and soak the tail from under the dock for a minute-rinse and whirl round like a spin set on said washing machine.I then go through the tail with my fingers and leave it to drip dry.Its cheap, smells nice AND WORKS! Mairi.
grin.gif

Theresa_F

Visit site
Cheap and cheerful

Wash out tail with everyday shampoo. Get some pig oil and rub into tail.

I then spend ages going thorough the tail a tiny section at a time with an anti-tangle comb from Avon.

Not a bad result.

More budget but worth it.

Wash out tail with megatek shampoo. Then rub some megatek survivor detangler. Again spend time with fingers and comb, but it is half the time than with the oil.

Tail is show fit, very shiney and it and takes a lot longer to tangle up again. If you comb through with fingers daily, it stays nice until winter.

In winter use a tailgator tail bag - once you have used one, you will never know how you lived without it. I use mine all winter and take it off May time when flies start.

Speaking as someone who has two hairy boys and used to have a gypsy cob with enough tail for four normal beasts I would personally go for the more expensive option.

That said pig oil on manes and feathers cannot be beat. I also use mane bags on my gypsy cob to keep his mane very long and thick and to keep him cool in summer.