Dream pony

Pippity

Visit site
I've been having a clear-out and came across a description of my 'dream pony' I'd written when I was about 11 or 12. At the time, I was riding a 5yo dapple grey Welsh stallion, who would have been most people's dream. I wanted:

12.2-13hh
Chestnut w/ blaze
Gelding
Aged 12-18
Sensible

Blue is a couple of hands taller, black rather than chestnut (but she does have a blaze!), a mare, and half the age I was dreaming of. She is, however, a sensible wee soul.

So what was your dream pony as a kid, and did you ever get close to it?

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
When we were shopping for my first pony, I tried out a chestnut Welsh cob mare. I was deeply upset that I was (wisely) over ruled by my parents but they were right, I couldn't ride one side of her.
22 years later I got my chestnut Welsh mare and it was every bit as challenging as that would have been aged 10 🤣 love the bones of her though!

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Oh, the other one has come true as well, when I was looking for a horse and millie found her way into my life, I wanted a 16hh brown TB but she was a 15hh cob mare. She was (still is 🥰) fabulous. But another 15 years on I have finally got the TB gelding... it'll be a while before he's as good as she was.

doodle

Visit site
When looking for soli my only requirement was no white bits. Soli had a white face and 4 white legs. Robin is slightly better with a small star and 3 white socks!

Mister Ted

Visit site
My daughter bought a pony a number of years ago.A rather neglegted 12.2 Welsh B chestnut gelding with blaze.He was very skinny with a tail matted in mud and stressed as he was missing his field companion and had been kept short of food. We gradually got him into condition and he turned into a stunning little pony small refined head and well rounded quarters and a long wavy mane and tail.He had a lovely kind eye as well as temperament. He was the envy of the young girls in the yard with their mums saying "Now thats the sort of pony we should have bought." When my daughter went to college I looked after him and we had a strong bond.When I was a kid I dreamed of having a pony like him but my parents were against it. Ive worked with horses over the years but now had my dream pony all those years later.

fiwen30

Visit site
A palomino with 4 white stockings and a blaze. Or a golden dun with a dorsal stripe. They were on the covers of some of my favourite pony books haha.

McFluff

Visit site
A palomino. Now very lucky to have my dream pony.
On way to my dream I’ve had a lovely grey and white, a coloured and a bay.
The first two put me off white bits ever again! Although they were both awesome horses.

Leo Walker

Visit site
I wanted a bay, it had to have black tipped ears and long black points. I think looking back I was imagining some sort of spanish horse, as it had a long mane and tail and was quite compact. It was what I imagined the riders of Rohan rode, so thats what I wanted!

Lexi_

Visit site
I wanted a Dales pony, then on the complete other end of the spectrum, a 14.2 dapple grey show pony because I loved Dream of Fair Horses so much.

JJS

Visit site
For years, I wanted a 15.2hh bay Thoroughbred mare with two white socks and a star. Went to view my first horse after finding out about her through word of mouth, without having seen a single picture. I always remember that first moment I saw her because it was so surreal: a bay Thoroughbred mare with two white socks and a star. She was a smidge over my perfect height at 15.3hh, but I thought she was the most beautiful sight I’d ever seen. I fell in love with her instantly, and we had the most amazing four and a half years together before I lost her. She was everything I’d ever wanted and more.

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
Childhood dream was a chestnut gelding with a big white blaze....roll on to adulthood and I have 2 ginger geldings (albeit only one has a big white blaze!)

shanti

Visit site
My dream horse a horseless kid was a black Arabian mare with a white star. Her name was Ashes and she was wild and spirited and would only let me ride her (Yes, I read waaayyy too many pony books as a child lol)

vmac66

Visit site
A dapple grey with a long white tail. I ended up with a coloured mare with a black tail. 30 years on I have a coloured mare with a black tail. A freinds Mum saw a photo of her and said she was the spitting image of my first coloured. Strange how things work out.

dogatemysalad

Visit site
As a child in the 60s, I watched, lived and breathed The White Horses series. My dream horse would have been a Lipizzaner. As an adult who had to battle through mud drenched winter, my dream horse became a black hanoverian. She was the most wonderful horse ever.